Smart Start app for Android OS reviewed

J. Dub

Reaction score
Viper-Smart-start-for-iphone-blackberry-android-smartphone-493x306.jpg

I recently had the opportunity to do a full review for the Viper SmartStart app. Below is that review.

Items installed & their level of expectations met based on a scale of failed, met, exceeded:
-5901 (security/remote system) *MET*
-516L (programmable voice system) *Failed*
-507M (tilt sensor) *MET*
-506T (glass break sensor) *EXCEEDED*
-515R (backup battery) *NA*
-DLPK (Xpress Interface) *Failed* & *MET*
-VSM 100 (Smart Start module) *EXCEEDED*

Many of these items we found on Amazon & Ebay for far less currency then say Best Buy or the like. So how much I paid vs how much you'll pay is going to differ. Thus I won't go into price. For all I know tomorrow on Ebay the item will have sold for much less then what I paid two weeks ago.
The items came in a fairly large box from the UPS girl whom looked nothing like any of these UPS girls:
ups_girls_uniform.jpg

However once unboxed the items came packaged nicely with instructions for each item that was easy to understand (minus the wiring information, however, I'm no do it yourself kinda guy when it comes to electrical wire).
Except for the VSM100 itself. (The VSM100 is the module that is wired to the 350's brain which allows the remote start via phone to occur). It had a picture of an Iphone. Thinking I had the wrong one we called the viper tech support line but they assured us it is the same module regardless of what phone is used. Being the pu*sy that I am I didn't argue and figured I'd test his statement once we installed the piece and attempt a remote start. After all, I thought to myself, Iphone uses GSM where as my Moto Droid is on CDMA network. This module will not work, was what I had concluded. (More on this module later).
**Go to the attached thumbnail at the bottom of this post and click on it for a big pic of all the items**
Now that we had every item out of it's box & laid out in front of us my installer began his magic. A day and a half later. We were done.
The 5901. I opted for this instead of the 5902 due to reviews I had read online. Apparently the only difference is the transponder remote as the 5902's battery lasts longer and has a color animated display to boot. Not something I cared about as I knew I'd always just use the smart start app once I had all the features and settings ironed out the way I wanted them to be. Speaking of, this thing has tons of features. To start with it is possible to roll your windows up and down without needing to purchase a window module. This is due to the 350z having comfort access from the factory. You can google if your vehicle does or does not. Most 2007+ optioned out vehicles do. Along with comfort access there are many options that allow you to check the in cabin temp, silence certain beeps, turbo timer, ect... For more info click here[/URL] and read the user guide.
The 516L. I don't think I have enough bandwidth to type out how much this disappointed me. What's worse is that viper.com doesn't post the bad reviews you place on an item on their website. Click here[/URL] for an example. Notice the 4 reviews? Yet one shows. I placed 2 out of those 4 reviews. The first outlined why I gave 1 star. The second I gave all stars possible yet my text outlined how I wanted to give 1 star. Someone in that company does review the reviews prior to allowing them to display. :icon22: That's a shame too. As I wouldn't have bought this item had I known the following. You're not able to custom record items for unlocking, locking, nor remote start. You MUST put up with the generic message from viper. Had I known that, again, I wouldn't have purchased. I had invisioned the following. You go to your vehicle after a long day at work. As you approach you unlock to hear your kids saying "Dad I warmed the car up for ya, can't wait to see ya." When you disarm you hear "Have a good day at work Daddy" recorded by your kids. Insert your own imagination in there. Of course you can mute the thing all together. But when you do that, the recordings you placed for when there is an intruder disappear as well. 1 plus side of the item is that it doubles as a PA system. And a freakin loud one at that. This could come in handy if you have a disel truck and rather then turning it off when ordering at a drive thru you can simply use the PA. Or if it's raining outside. (As our 350z are notorious for depositing puddles when the window is rolled down during a shower). This system is also taking advantage of a 3.5mm female/male connection. So my recordings were first recorded on my computer via my microphone then from my laptop onto my 516L. Had I not done it this way you can tell there is a bit of static hiss in the background of the recording if using the mic that doubles as the systems PA.
The tilt sensor. Nothing to say here. It does exactly as it says it does. No more aftermarket wheels being stolen off my car without me knowing about it.
The 506T, glass breaking sensor. I've never found something work so well that I ultimately thought would fail. Till this thing. I've jingled my keys in my car after arming it and nothing. I've clinked some glass bottles... Still nothing. Finally we took a glass bottle and bashed it with a hammer over the passenger floor mat and sure enough it went off. I then tore a piece of paper (as paper being tore mimics the same frequency as glass breaking) and the same thing, the alarm went off. Just a flawless item. Works as it says it does.
The 515R, I don't know how to test it. Haven't really cared to test it to be honest. I just like knowing that it's there. Although placed in a horrible spot by my installer, I'll later relocate to a more un seen area in the cabin that way as the robber attempts to jack my stereo he'll have to figure out where the in cabin siren is located.
The DLPK express interface failed when we hooked up the one sent to us. But, luckily, my installer had one laying around so he re-sodered the connections and that one passed transmissions as it was intended.
The VSM100 & the smart start app exceeded my expectations but keep in mind I knew that push notifications had yet to be achieved by viper for the android app due to their postings on their website as seen here[/URL]. Upon playing with it I just knew it would fail at least once. Here we are 2 weeks post install and it's been solid since day one. I still am surprised by how fluid it is. You can even post a pic of your own car that appears in the upper right hand side of the app and control multiple cars as well. The setup was easy, though the initial viper given password to log in was sent to my junk folder.
Here's my vid. I plan to re-shoot a vid in 1080p in a week and a half from now once I hook up a knight light LED bar that will tie into the alarm for an even greater visual effect then just the standard blue led indicator given by viper.
[video=youtube;FgCslrgRBUw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FgCslrgRBUw"]YouTube - SmartStart for Android OS[/video]
Throughout this review keep in mind that I do and plan to continue to solely use the smart start app from my Motorola Droid. Now that settings, features, and items are all set up, I leave my 5901 transponder at home. And yes I do hope, each morning, that today will be the day we get an update on the app in the android marketplace that will finally give us push notifications. Something Apple's Iphone users have been able to enjoy for some time now.
What I'd like to see for the Smart Start app. Of course push notifications. I can't stress this enough. Though I'd like to see them in the form of a text message. This way when I get a text message from the car I can save that number and assign it it's own ringtone. A loud one at that. Plus with my phone I have the option to turn up certain tones while silencing others. This will come in handy when I sleep at night and leave my car in the hotel parking deck as I travel often for my company. I'd like for them to also take it one step further in allowing me to customize the color scheme of the app & background picture of the app. This is a droid phone. Us droiders are use to customizing every aspect of our phones. It's why we originally went against purchasing an Iphone.
Regardless on if they ever do the above mentioned, I'm looking forward to future product development from Viper. I've got high hopes for the company and they've never let me down in the past as I've owned several alarms they've developed. To think they actually have customer service reps that reply back to your question in a language you understand... A hard thing to find now a days.

Last edited:

whiddles

Reaction score
nice I am planing on getting the viper 5902 with the SMART. the 5902 right now is $339