[VIDEO] Liquipel's Patent Pending Waterproof Coating Stuns at CTIA 2012

Byakushiki

Reaction score
The big question is...Is it breathable? I'd love to see this in some form usable on rain gear. Royal pain in the neck to have to reapply revivex every month or so because normal water repellent is only durable and wears out after about an hour or two of hard rain.

Good stuff though, would love to see it on possibly my next phone.

TOMMYBOT

Reaction score
breathable is also a good question for could it effect the device's temperature? 4 years or so ago i was at a nano tech fair in NYC and this was one of teh technologies. just the example they had there were glass for car wind shields and a treated plant leaf.

with my next phone upgrade once it comes around i would definatly do this. not as a omg keep phone safe thing, but as a omg time to hit teh hot tub with my phone in hand!

edit
holy crikies their office is area code 92705 ah ha! thats an hour from my house! lol why wait 3 weeks when you can drive it up!

Last edited:

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure how it's different from the Razr coating, but Moto says it will protect your phone in a rainstorm, NOT underwater. That demo is incredible. Now I can talk and text on my phone while I wakeboard...sweet!
moto doesn't give itself enough credit as it uses exactly same technology [video=youtube;Wwu872m03BU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wwu872m03BU[/video]

Caesars

Reaction score
I don't want to beat a dead horse but if moto says water repellent (and virtually every person with a brain will agree that maxxs don't belong under water as is) and this is clearly selling it on water proofing. Also regarding the insurance company post, true insurance banks off the "what if chance", probably because those chances are an awfully large reality with a $700 phone lol. Besides this is totally different from insurance, this is the ability to use your phone at the beach, the pool, the jacuzzi, outside in the pouring down rain etc. if this is real tell me where I can sign the contract to open up retail locations because this is as good as free money gets.

pinoy_92

Reaction score
i got a noob question.

correct me if im wrong. basically what they do is to coat the device with a microscopic film that has a very low conductiblity, so that water wont short the circuit. so what about when charging the device? would'nt the "nano-coat" block the current coming from the wall-adapter going to the phone?

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Electricity could certainly be conducted through a membrane a few nanometers thick. Wouldn't be an issue. I'm sure that by this point they've tested the phones to make sure that they charge afterward.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Let me get off my soapbox for a second and say:

not as a omg keep phone safe thing, but as a omg time to hit teh hot tub with my phone in hand!

^ that is awesome. :)

-Matt

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, it would be cool to be able to keep your phone on you at the beach or waterpark, especially if you have the ability to pay for food and what not with NFC.

daviddevel

Reaction score
This is pretty cool, although anyone know if the coating affect the warrenty? Also i checked out another company doing something similar, P2i, and the text they have on their site, the guy in this video seems to copy word for word, so not sure what is going on there...

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
there is also a company called hzo that offers exact same technology HzO WaterBlock Technology, Waterproof Iphone, Waterproof Devices wonder which one did motorola go with?

LoudRam

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Z Flip 3
This FAQ is from the HzO site linked above and may explain why Moto doesn't market the Razr as "waterproof".

Does HzO WaterBlock meet IP waterproof standards? Well – yes and no. IP Standards mean Ingress Protection Standards. “International standard IEC 60529, IP Code classifies and rates the degrees of protection provided against the intrusion of solid objects (including body parts like hands and fingers), dust, accidental contact, and water in mechanical casings and with electrical enclosures” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code). While WaterBlock meets many of the standards for protection from water listed in the IP standard, these water standards were developed to measure the ability to keep water OUT and AWAY from electronic circuitry. In fact, the definition of “ingress” refers to the ability to enter. HzO WaterBlock allows water and moisture to enter and infiltrate the electronic circuitry without damaging or allowing the circuitry to ground and be destroyed. Therefore, yes, we meet levels of protection identified in IP standards, but in a very different way. As a result, HzO has written a new standard we call the WaterBlock standard that specifies water protection from the inside out.

Sent from my HTC Rezound using Droid Forums