[Review] Jawbone Icon

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
thanks for that update, glocklynn... i wonder why i was having issues connecting both a moto droid and a droid incredible.

vmann32

Reaction score
I have had an ICON now for a few months and I love it.I had another moto one that frankly sucked cause it was not secure in my ear.The ICON is so comfortable and I use the largest tea cup ear piece.I use to use it with the ear hook but quickly realized I could use the tea cup solo with great results.I am a plumber by trade in Florida.I sweat and work hard and it never budges.The sound quality even driving windows down is unmatched.The dial and voice apps are great start.It leaves opportunity to add apps to the headset.The A2DP is cool so far it also does vavigation thru it.It is not the greates sound on that but realisticly it is not made just for that.Also the beta just added that and the other apps were ones that required a paid account for besides the free 411 app.Overall I am extremely happy with it.Good write up BTW

noguilt

Reaction score
Has anyone tried the Jawbone Icon with Voice Dialer HF?

If so, how many of the features seem to work well? (Other than bluetooth-initiated voice dialing, of course -- sigh.)

I have a new Incredible and like so many others have been using bluetooth voice dialing for many years with other phones and am stunned at the lack of it on Android phones, especially considering state laws requiring handsfree cellphone use, but I just installed Voice Dialer HF, and it seems I may be able to get by with that until Google gets bluetooth voice dialing activated, hopefully soon.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
noguilt, i'm going to try HF dialer out later. thanks!

shiccy

Reaction score
If Android is the say way as Winmo was (had an HTC winmo and a palm winmo device prior to my Droid) in regards to the way BT audio works, it's NOT a downfall or fault of Android, but a fault of the ear piece manufacturers. For YEARS (4+) Winmo has been Stereo voice dial activation (from what was explained to me). Android may have gone the same way. Why Jawbone/etc.'s manufacturers have not gotten with the program, I will never understand. THEIR job is to make devices to suit all handsets NOT the other way around.

I guess what I'm saying is PLEASE stop bashing Android/etc for manufacturing deficits of these accessory devices! Boo on Jawbone for not including this capability in their products!

WinMo does not work the same as Android, so i really don't see your point here. BT Voice Dialing is not enabled in Android. Period. And the Source Code for Voice Dialing is quite bare and buggy. It has been "enabled" with varying results via Adrynalyne (a dev here), but it breaks other things and is not 100% stable. I'm not bashing Android. it's by far my favorite mobile OS, and i'm truly excited about its future. However, one shortcoming is the lack of BT VD.

I wasn't aware someone had looked that portion of the code up. Well then in that case, get to it google! :p

As far as the BT headsets, I had previously had a phone that a motorola headset worked WONDERFULLY on and I miss it dearly for driving purposes - I liked to have my phone in the center console charging while using my phone so I'd have a full battery ... not able to do that now that I have to manually dial. The earpiece ended up breaking r/t me letting it fall off my ear one too many times, but haven't bought one since just b/c of the issues with the voice dialing. Stupid google hasn't hammered that one out yet!

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
has anybody tried voicedialer HF with the jawbone?

DroidCoug

Reaction score
I've got the icon that I got free from my employer, had it about a month and have to say I'm pretty impressed with it. People I talk to say its a lot clearer than my old motorola h700.