Video issues...

Shiano

Reaction score
What is the best format of video file for the Droid OS?

Reason I'm asking is because I've found that any video i download or transfer from my pc either gives the 'File not supported' type error message or will only play the first 2 seconds of the file then freeze up on the video while the audio continues.

Video that I record with the camcorder is fine. .3g2 from other phones is fine. .3g2 video that I convert MYSELF off my computer is fine. .3g2 that's downloaded online using my phone does the above mentioned.

To me, it seems like the video isn't in the right format...

Is there a simple fix for this or is it the phone's video player.

Everything is stock btw.

Eris 2.1

swtex

Reaction score
I was going to post the same question. Almost every question about video is people trying to upload from their computer. Like you, I wanted to download video to my computer, watch, edit and email it. I thought it was because the video is recorded in HD and the Real Player format that it is saved in won't play HD. But, I changed to a lower resolution for recording and nothing changed. I thought I was getting a camcorder-like device along with a great phone. Turns out it may be a great phone that records video that you can only stream or upload to YouTube.

OP
S

Shiano

Reaction score
Ahhh. what i'm talking about though is video you download from a webpage USING the phone, not your pc.

The video that i download using my pc and convert to the 3gp format works fine even if the quality is greatly reduced on all videos played through the phone but when i play them on. I can elaborate more later.

swtex

Reaction score
My mistake. I thought I was in the Droid X forums. I am a newbie to Droids and these forums. Hope you figure out your situation.

Skynet

Reaction score
As for viewing the videos that you take in their highest quality, I use VLC media player found here.

I am trying to find some video editing software that will support the 3gp format. I'm trying to avoid the alternative and getting software that will convert the files to a format that my current video editing software will support as most of those will brand your videos with their label if you don't pay them. Any suggestions on this?

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
As for viewing the videos that you take in their highest quality, I use VLC media player found here.

I am trying to find some video editing software that will support the 3gp format. I'm trying to avoid the alternative and getting software that will convert the files to a format that my current video editing software will support as most of those will brand your videos with their label if you don't pay them. Any suggestions on this?
Skynet, I just checked and for conversion purposes I think your problem is easily solved: I dropped 3gp video (recorded on the phone) into HandBrake, using the "iPhone and iPod Touch" preset and it converted to m4v format quickly and cleanly. VLC played the converted file, and I suspect it will work on the phone as well. If you're looking for an editing program...then I'm out of advice!

handbrake4eris.jpg

What is the best format of video file for the Droid OS?

Reason I'm asking is because I've found that any video i download or transfer from my pc either gives the 'File not supported' type error message or will only play the first 2 seconds of the file then freeze up on the video while the audio continues.

Video that I record with the camcorder is fine. .3g2 from other phones is fine. .3g2 video that I convert MYSELF off my computer is fine. .3g2 that's downloaded online using my phone does the above mentioned.

To me, it seems like the video isn't in the right format...

Is there a simple fix for this or is it the phone's video player.

Everything is stock btw.

Eris 2.1
Shiano, I'd suggest the same thing: whatever video you have, drop it into Handbrake and convert using the same preset.

I know I've gotten several to work, both on my Droid and my wife's Eris. The only part I'm fuzzy on is that Handbrake produced m4vs. I suspect I renamed them to mp4 before moving to the phones.

EDIT: Yep, just checked and the m4v plays beautifully on the Eris. Didn't need to rename it.

-Matt

Last edited:
OP
S

Shiano

Reaction score
Sweet. I actually have Handbrake. I've been using DVDFab for the conversions lol. Think i'll have to give it a try through Handbrake when I get off work.

Wish me luck. lol.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Sweet. I actually have Handbrake. I've been using DVDFab for the conversions lol. Think i'll have to give it a try through Handbrake when I get off work.

Wish me luck. lol.
Definitely follow-up and let us know. I should also note that I didn't mess with the Handbrake options at all! Just a few buttons and voila. Of course, if the dimensions of your downloaded video are funky, you may have to change them in Handbrake.

-Matt

OP
S

Shiano

Reaction score
used a music video for a test since you can almost always tell when the audio doesn't sync up with the video.

Perfect. Barely a loss in video quality. No chop, stutter, or freezes.

dancedroid

gonna try a few more before i give my final verdict. hehe

OP
S

Shiano

Reaction score
I think there may be a mb limit on the original file size. I used 2 files that were already in mp4 format. One only gave audio but the other gave both video and audio. Needless to say, the one that had both audio and video was awesome on both clarity of video and audio.

I think the non video playing one though is a bit of a fluke from the original encoding though... i've had issues with all the episodes encoded from that source.

So far though, it's looking like m4v is a droid friendly (for the most part) file format.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I think there may be a mb limit on the original file size. I used 2 files that were already in mp4 format. One only gave audio but the other gave both video and audio. Needless to say, the one that had both audio and video was awesome on both clarity of video and audio.

I think the non video playing one though is a bit of a fluke from the original encoding though... i've had issues with all the episodes encoded from that source.

So far though, it's looking like m4v is a droid friendly (for the most part) file format.
Awesome. So can I do a victory dance?

RE: filesize...I typically stay under a GB with Handbrake (since I'm dealing with mobile video), and don't have a problem. How big was the one giving you trouble?

Btw, what is your conversion speed like? I have an older quad-core on Win7, and it tends convert in realtime (1:1 conversion time). Makes converting movies a slow affair, but fortunately there's a batch mode for big jobs.

-Matt

OP
S

Shiano

Reaction score
Awesome. So can I do a victory dance?

RE: filesize...I typically stay under a GB with Handbrake (since I'm dealing with mobile video), and don't have a problem. How big was the one giving you trouble?

Btw, what is your conversion speed like? I have an older quad-core on Win7, and it tends convert in realtime (1:1 conversion time). Makes converting movies a slow affair, but fortunately there's a batch mode for big jobs.

-Matt

Victory dance? hmmm... dancedroid lol

it was a 140mb file. But like i said, on the file that bugged out, I'm guessing it was the program or person that originally encoded THAT mp4 video file.

As far as Handbrake goes... I'm still on XP and the About section says that it's '0.9.4'. The time i took for 20 minutes (1 episode) was about 30-40 minutes. So i think you have me beat with a 1:1 on that. lol.

OP
S

Shiano

Reaction score
Well, i tried a 1.31gb file and it shrank it down below that 1gb threshold and seems to be working good.