[VIDEO] 10min Root complete Guide

In recovery mode, device was showing up as a 'Mass Storage Device', and when I tried to install the SDK drivers, I got the message that several others have seen that says "...doesn't contain a compatible software driver...".

I was able to get around this after I noticed that the Hardware ID listed in Device Manager was different from the one in the .inf file. It may be because it's a different version of the phone. When I added the following to my .inf, I was able to choose to install either 'Android ADB Device', 'Android Composite ADB Device', or 'Android Bootloader'.

Code:
[Google.NTamd64]
;HTC Incredible
%SingleAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0FF9
%CompositeAdbInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0FF9&REV_0100
%SingleBootLoaderInterface% = USB_Install, USB\VID_0BB4&PID_0FF9

Now when I boot to recovery mode, it shows up as the 'Android Composite ADB Device' instead of 'Mass Storage Device', but 'adb shell' still gives me "device not found". The same goes if I install either of the other two drivers as well.

Made some progress, but kind of stuck at this point. Any ideas?

Thanks for posting the video, and everyone else who's been helping people.

Driving me nuts

I have tried everything and can't get root to work. I even bought the pny 2gig card. If any one can help I need it. I am using windows 7 32bit. Have tried all the drivers I can find and every method I saw. What is the trick. I am about ready to get rid of this damn phone.

No Go

I have tried everything and can't get root to work. I even bought the pny 2gig card. If any one can help I need it. I am using windows 7 32bit. Have tried all the drivers I can find and every method I saw. What is the trick. I am about ready to get rid of this damn phone.

I am with you I have been trying the last hour with the 2gb PNY card to no avail. I have the same system as you. AHHH it is really frusterating!!!

Check out the xda developers forums. There are a ton more people over there working on it, and a lot of good ideas for people having problems. One promising solution seems to rely on clicking the sd card in and out while booting into recovery. For some people there appears to be a window that is only .25 to .5 second long during which if you insert your sd card you can trigger the magic race condition and get in. Problem is finding that window. Takes very exact timing.

Also, they should have a much easier root method ready within the next 2 weeks or less so no reason to get rid of your phone at this point.

my coworker got mine going.. :D

Here is the email describing what he did:

Ok got it to work yesterday.

Trick was follow the 1st part of the video once the phone sees the sd card eject it, dont pull i out.
Then vol down to recovery (oh have h loop.bat running) get ready once u hit power to enter recovery u will hear windows disconnect the phone right at tht tone incert the sd card. Took me three time till it worked an i have done it twice now.

he came to work and got mine going.. i have SU and wireless tether.. im using my 8GB card from my MDroid.. no factory reset.

Absolute and utter newbie here. Never rooted before, but I followed the 10 minute video above and BOOM! I'm rooted and got WIFI Tether to work. Awesomeness. Thanks to the OP for sharing the video.

Just made root permanent using commands posted on another forum. Also added WIFI Tether, Titanium Backup and Drocap2. Deleted CityID. Cannot wait for the reflash tool, so we I can get some Froyo.

Last edited:
Absolute and utter newbie here. Never rooted before, but I followed the 10 minute video above and BOOM! I'm rooted and got WIFI Tether to work. Awesomeness. Thanks to the OP for sharing the video.

you are welcome, glad my video helped

Just made root permanent using commands posted on another forum. Also added WIFI Tether, Titanium Backup and Drocap2. Deleted CityID. Cannot wait for the reflash tool, so we I can get some Froyo.

Please share with us noobs. What do we have to do to get the Root Permanent?
I will have my incredible next week and am looking forward to obtaining and keeping root quickly. :)

Thanks

Do I have to restore my Droid to factory default settings and wipe everything clean? I got some apps, e-mail accounts etc installed already + using HTC sync with outlook.

I've got to 6:17 in the video after pushing the payload using 1.bat.

I am in a DOS box, and can not get into super user mode.

ADB SHELL at the prompt returns the following:

-exec '/system/bin/sh' failed: No such file or directory (2) -

I do not see a $ as shown in the video.

I'm running XP-SP3, 32 bit.

I haven't disconnected the phone, and need advice on what to do.

Thanx!

Last edited:
No easy root yet?

Ok I thought people were still working on an easy root for the Incredible...and that it would be available in "2 weeks or less". Is it that hard that they just gave up on it?

keep getting :

C:\sdk\tools>adb shell
* daemon not running. starting it now *

Back