Vibrate and Silent on Froyo

Status
Not open for further replies.

leroi09

Reaction score
Is there any way to have a silent and a vibrate mode on Froyo? This is really annoying that all I can do is vibrate never, always, when on silent, or when not on silent. I want my phone to vibrate when sound is on, have a mode that us just vibrate, and a silent mode. Why would they take this out from 2.1 and this is a standard feature on all phones.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

specmac

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Is there any way to have a silent and a vibrate mode on Froyo? This is really annoying that all I can do is vibrate never, always, when on silent, or when not on silent. I want my phone to vibrate when sound is on, have a mode that us just vibrate, and a silent mode. Why would they take this out from 2.1 and this is a standard feature on all phones.

Menu> Settings> Sound> Vibrate
Options are:

• Always
  • Never
  • Only in Silent mode
  • Only when not in Silent mode

warrior21

Reaction score
I liked being able to scroll the volume button down to silent also. I use the app 'quick settings' so now at night I just go into that and put the phone on silent that way.

OP
leroi09

leroi09

Reaction score
I listed all of these in my post but like the others said the volume button mo longer has two separate modes only silent and you must select to either vibrate or not which is super annoying.

caliwagon

Reaction score
I agree, this seems like a downgrade. The only modes I ever use are vibrate and silent, and now they're pretty much one-and-the-same. I need completely silent for meetings, worship services, etc... but vibrate for everything else.

How can I go from vibrate only to completely silent w/o going into settings>sounds>vibrate?

OP
leroi09

leroi09

Reaction score
I agree, this seems like a downgrade. The only modes I ever use are vibrate and silent, and now they're pretty much one-and-the-same. I need completely silent for meetings, worship services, etc... but vibrate for everything else.

How can I go from vibrate only to completely silent w/o going into settings>sounds>vibrate?

Same here, that is why I'm so annoyed with it. May even push me back to BB 1. 1

mixtape

Reaction score
I took the following from another site:

Prior to Froyo, Silent and Vibrate were 2 distinct functions:

Silent: ringer volume at zero and vibrate was disabled. Perfect for a theatre or a quiet meeting where even a vibrate would be annoying and disrespectful.

Vibrate: ringer volume at zero and vibrate enabled. Perfect for keeping the phone in your pocket, being aware of notifications, but not having your phone beeping and ringing all day.

By using the volume rocker, it was possible to adjust from full ringer volume down to low ringer volume. If you continued down after the volume was at it quietest, you activated vibrate mode. Then, if you clicked down once more, you would enable silent mode. Also all makes sense. And is extremely useful and intuitive.

In Froyo, Google has changed the way the OS handles volume control when it comes to silent mode and vibrate mode. And quite frankly, they have screwed it all up. Now, in Settings, you can specify whether the phone should vibrate "Always", "Never", "Only in Silent Mode", "Only when not in Silent Mode".

"Vibrate only in silent mode" defeats the purpose of silent mode.

Ugh. So what that means is they have essentially done away with a distinction between silent and vibrate and now instead of having quick access to both options, you have to pick whether silent means truly silent like before or whether it really means vibrate. So frustrating.

So far, the only solutions I have seen out there are to download one of the many widgets that allows you to toggle between vibrate, silent, and ringing via a home screen icon. But this is not good enough. It's a bandaid. I want Volume Rocker control back of true Silent and true Vibrate modes. Maybe Google will realize the distinction was useful.

influent

Reaction score
Fix this MotoGoogle!

I want Volume Rocker control back of true Silent and true Vibrate modes. Maybe Google will realize the distinction was useful.

Thank you mixtape, and leroi09 for posting. I really hope they fix this!

Status
Not open for further replies.