Verizon's HTC Thunderbolt Getting the Ice Cream Sandwich Update Today

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
htc-thunderbolt-ice-cream-sandwich-366x251.jpg

Verizon trumpets they are finally pushing out the Ice Cream Sandwich update to the HTC Thunderbolt today! Yay! Wait... what? Oh yeah... that update. We told you it was coming last week, and probably should have been here about a year ago or so... Welp, it's here now. Here's their thrilling press release below,

ThunderBolt by HTC is the next smartphone to be upgraded to Android 4.0, Ice Cream Sandwich. The software upgrade will start getting pushed in phases beginning today Feb. 5.

The upgrade features Face Unlock, where users can easily unlock their phone with face recognition, no typing required. A new Usage Center lends the ability to monitor data usage in one place; users can set warning levels, check app usage or turn off data completely. The upgrade also features a customizable launch bar, which allows for apps, shortcuts and folders to be easily dragged in and out of the bar for access from the home screen.

Additional information on the Ice Cream Sandwich upgrade can be found on the ThunderBolt by HTC support page.

Source: HTC ThunderBolt - Ice Cream Sandwich

Last edited:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I'm still baffled this ever got released. I mean, the Thunderbolt is in its upgrade time frame for most people and many have probably ditched it already.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Who really still has the TB? I liked mine, never had an issue with the original one I got day #1 of the TB release, and sold it when my next upgrade to the S3 happened in September. Sort of a little late now to be excited about a ICS update on a phone that hasn't been sold by VZW in quite some time.

dl1762

Reaction score
The update seems great so far

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk HD

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
Well, you can't blame VZW/HTC for trying ... way too little wayyyyy too late though. If they wanted to wait this long, they could've at least built it up to 4.2. Loved it when I had it, but glad I got rid of it when I did. Hopefully the new Rom will help with its battery life.

Dark Lazer

Reaction score
My girlfriend uses my Thunderbolt now so this is a nice welcomed surprise.

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I still use a TB, and the update is nice.

Sent from my HTC ThunderBolt using Droid Forums

pdroid

Silver Member
Reaction score
Yeah, for those that received it, is it an improvement? Does it run well?

This might make me hold out for a new release this spring. Was going to get my wife a GSIII, but if there's a GSIV or something else great around the corner we might try and wait.

dl1762

Reaction score
I think update helped battery

5a6y2e6e.jpg

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Miller6386

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Twitter
CoreyFMiller
I pulled mine out of the drawer and updated it but it seems slow and laggy to me... Might just be that I am so used to the S3 now.....

jpiarull

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Z Force Droid
Twitter
jpiarull
I think update helped battery

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Is that on stock battery or with the extended?

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Droid Forums

Kenyon1

Reaction score
I updated my thunderbolt and I can say it gave life to the old phone. I just wish all phones were nexus so you have to deal with Verizon. I hate Verizon