Pics of First HTC Phone with Ice Cream Sandwich Leak

npro1464

Reaction score
The first pic got me excited, I thought it was the Thunderbolt. Hopefully this means we'll see ICS finally ported over to the TB when this drops. Still no Roms with working data, and the dev base is abandoning ship for the Nexus.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
What I dont understand is why do some ppl think if it has capacitive button or even hard buttons like the Droid X1 it cant be an ICS phone? Before ICS we had capacitive and hard buttons. I really dont think thats gonna change with ICS. Goes againts the whole choice thing....one of Android's biggest selling points.

Where does it say all new ICS phone has to have on screen buttons? I believe that part of JeffDenver's point.

This is part of a post from another forum...and I agree 100%:

The Nexus could support capacitive buttons with its current size. Google just chose to use on-screen buttons to demonstrate that its possible. It kills me when I read comments saying "why are they still using cap. buttons with ICS!".
There is no Google standard that says on-screen buttons are better. ICS gives you the option to use whichever the manufacturer prefers. Isn't that why we all like Android in the first place - the ability to choose what we like versus being told what to like.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What I dont understand is why do some ppl think if it has capacitive button or even hard buttons like the Droid X1 it cant be an ICS phone? Before ICS we had capacitive and hard buttons. I really dont think thats gonna change with ICS. Goes againts the whole choice thing....one of Android's biggest selling points.

Where does it say all new ICS phone has to have on screen buttons? I believe that part of JeffDenver's point.

This is part of a post from another forum...and I agree 100%:
I agree.

However, I do hope they do abandon hardware capacitive buttons now. I wasn't sold on the on-screen ones at first but now after seeing what devs can do with them, they're AWESOME. You can customize them so much it's crazy. You can have it look like HTC's layout, Moto's, Samsungs, or completely custom like mine is. Not to mention having no buttons on the screen makes it look awesome and much more sleek when the phones off.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
Where's the proof that only google appears to be adopting this.
How many non-google phones have been announced without hardware buttons so far?

One of the biggest selling points for ics is that it does not need those buttons
LOL! According to who?

which allows for more screen space when needed.
It does just the opposite. Those stupid buttons eat up screen real estate. You do not have a full 720p display while they are on-screen.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It does just the opposite. Those stupid buttons eat up screen real estate. You do not have a full 720p display while they are on-screen.
That's a joke, right? One of the main points is the buttons disappear when watching videos.. and even if that didn't happen, it just take up the space where actual capacitive buttons would be at. So that logic isn't spot on. My Nexus has a 4.65" screen, it's no secret that part of that is taken up by the on screen buttons. But the disappearing when you watch videos is worth it. And I can actually change the look of my buttons while real ones, you can not do so. Is it a necessity? No, but it's definitely nice.

JeffDenver

Reaction score
That's a joke, right?
No, this is my serious face.

One of the main points is the buttons disappear when watching videos..
So either they are not available at one touch, or they are eating up screen real estate. Right?

I can instantly go to the home screen from within a video with one tap with hardware buttons.

and even if that didn't happen, it just take up the space where actual capacitive buttons would be at.
The Nexus has plenty of room for hardware buttons without reducing the screen size.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
So, we are keeping this a FRIENDLY discussion, correct?

If so, carry on.

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
Yes, its friendly xD

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!

JeffDenver

Reaction score
It hasnt ever been not friendly. I haven't insulted anyone or called names or used profanity.

Last edited:

aqworldthunder

Darth Droid
Reaction score
No one has been insulting/profainty.

-AqworldThunder ;) ^…^ ¶.¶ *.* Thank me if i helped please!

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, this is my serious face.

So either they are not available at one touch, or they are eating up screen real estate. Right?

I can instantly go to the home screen from within a video with one tap with hardware buttons.

The Nexus has plenty of room for hardware buttons without reducing the screen size.
I believe one of the reasons, as I stated above in my first post, is so we didn't have anything else taking up the screen at all. Gives it a nice sleek look that I personally like. :)

And one extra push of a button while watching a video doesn't bug me. Especially considering it's for a good cause. Having capacitive buttons put on the Nexus would look weird at the bottom of the screen unless they would have made the phone a big longer. Yes you probably could screen em on, but the bottom is more curved/oval shaped so it'd be in an odd space.

Also remember, this is all opinionated. I love having them on screen. I'm not saying I don't wish my screen was TRULY 4.65" inches all the time(similar to how the Note is 5.3" with actual capacitive buttons), because that truly would be just awesome, but because able to customize em and have no.. white print on the front of the screen makes it look all the better.

Awesome discussion though, I love this forum for this. :biggrin:

And yes Guidot, clean FRIENDLY discussion! :)

JeffDenver

Reaction score
I believe one of the reasons, as I stated above in my first post, is so we didn't have anything else taking up the screen at all. Gives it a nice sleek look that I personally like. And one extra push of a button while watching a video doesn't bug me. Especially considering it's for a good cause.
LOL@"good cause"

While phone nerds may be able to put up with it I doubt he average user will. Thats why I do not see it catching on.

I'm not saying I don't wish my screen was TRULY 4.65" inches all the time(similar to how the Note is 5.3" with actual capacitive buttons), because that truly would be just awesome, but because able to customize em and have no.. white print on the front of the screen makes it look all the better.
The physical size of the screen is irrelevant...it is the resolution that is impacted. If I have to devote part of my 720p screen to navigation that "used" to be on it's own buttons off screen, I no longer really have a 720p display. I have a 680p display or whatever.

BenLand150

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
LOL@"good cause"

While phone nerds may be able to put up with it I doubt he average user will. Thats why I do not see it catching on.

The physical size of the screen is irrelevant...it is the resolution that is impacted. If I have to devote part of my 720p screen to navigation that "used" to be on it's own buttons off screen, I no longer really have a 720p display. I have a 680p display or whatever.
Haha! The good cause meant as in not having any buttons on the screen while off.. not for.. world peace or the fact that it's feeding the poor. That'd be nice though.

And maybe.. my friends at school sure seem to like it not having buttons. Seems more "high-tech". And most of my friends aren't nerdy at all, heck, if you saw me you wouldn't think I was a nerd to say the least(more than likely anyway, obviously geeks and nerds all look different. I'm a proud phone geek. :icon_ lala:)

And that is true, while on my homescreen it's definitely not completely "720p" or whatever, but videos are. But my homescreen looks absolutely amazing either way. Definitely better then that of my OG Droid and Droid 3. And surely better then probably every other phone out there right now besides maybe the Rezounds awesome screen.

I don't even know how big my screen is truly if I don't count the part where the on screen buttons take up. I by no means feel like I have a small screen size though even with em on.