Verizon Wireless To Start Charging $2 Convenience Fee Starting January 15

Snow02

Reaction score
It is a convenience they have to pay for. Banks charge INTEREST and FEES to merchants to process credit cards. And the banks are upping the rates. And banks DON'T offer discounts for volume unless it is prearranged in advance(i.e on the same day like when AutoPay is done) in so it costs them MORE money if everyone starts using Credit/Debit cards to pay. So it would not surprise me if they CAN process checks cheaper then they can CC. If you want to blame someone blame the banks. They are the ones charging more fees ontop of huge interest rates. VZW is just trying to cut costs.

It would absolutely cost them more if everyone paid by check. Do you know how long it would take just to open millions of envelopes a month?

eagle1967

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.sourceryrom.com
ok verizon wants to start charging for paying my bill. my question is i have decided that my unused minutes are worth money to me so what should we charge them for our unused minutes.

BoltGnut

Reaction score
It actually IS a big deal. I work for a Credit Union and giving people your ACCOUNT NUMBER instead of your Card Number creates all sorts of extra problems. When someone has your acct number, it's a lot more difficult to sever ties with that company down the road cause unless you change your whole acct number, they can continue pulling money. I've seen this so many times, that I have to wonder if Verizon is doing this for a reason.........

I'm going to pay by check and keep getting my paper bill. The only other company this backward is my natural gas supplier Puget Sound Energy. They still want a $5 "convenience fee" to pay when I want by a credit union debit card. I'm going to fold the check in half for "security. stoopid

Last edited:

kparks

Reaction score
support your local post office, pay the bill by check. :)

Post offices are struggleing so im down they do need the help.. we should arrange 3 months of everyone on the forum sending vzw a check in the mail..
Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Snow02

Reaction score
Just re-enroll in paper billing until they revert this. And mail in checks. That's about all you can do as far as a show of protest.

kparks

Reaction score
Just re-enroll in paper billing until they revert this. And mail in checks. That's about all you can do as far as a show of protest.

Thats going to suck for the poor person opening them envelopes that prolly makes 8 bucks a hour lol.

Snow02

Reaction score
Thats going to suck for the poor person opening them envelopes that prolly makes 8 bucks a hour lol.

If enough people do it, we'd be creating jobs though. Good for the economy.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
ok verizon wants to start charging for paying my bill. my question is i have decided that my unused minutes are worth money to me so what should we charge them for our unused minutes.
They're going to charge you $2 if you use a credit card. They're not going to charge you $2 if you use your checking acct. routing/acct numbers or use auto-pay. They are absorbing a cost to them that the credit card companies are charging VZW. I'm going to personally take the extra 30 seconds and use my routing/account numbers instead of my CC starting in January. How much more simple is that to avoid the fee?

S

SFGate

Funny, everyone here talks a good game, and it's understandable. No one likes to feel like they're getting played (they get to screw up but we can't), but fact of the matter is, no one is really better than Verizon, and for the time being they're on the verge of monopolizing the market. This means that they can and will do whatever makes them the most money, and while some of us will kick and scream, in the end, 99.9% of us will do nothing to stop it.

I'm upset about it too, but we're all little people that big people don't care about. Your master can beat you, yell at you, and humiliate you, but you're still going to eat what he puts in your bowl.

Have been with every major carrier and one by one, each of them have shown me that they do not care for my business, one way or the other.

SILVER COUPE

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
LG G6
i went to my verizon account and switched over from paperless to recceiving a paper bill. the second i completed the update to my account i received a popup stating i will no longer be eligible for my corporate discount of 12%. WTF! i had to switch back because a 12% discount is more valuable then a $2 charge that i will not incur because i pay with an ACH. they get you either way huh. :D

JekyllandHyde

Reaction score
Well Verizon has a little over 2 million likes on facebook so I'll be posting this on facebook and hope others will too. That should get a lot more of Verizons customers pissed off

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

debdroid1a

Reaction score
My local news was reporting this. The newscaster said "Verizon is going to start charging customers to pay their bills" lol. Of course it did talk about ways to avoid it. I still don't like the idea.

Sent from my Droid 1using DroidForums

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Is this charge the kind of change that qualifies as a change of contract terms? I would LOVE to break contract with VZW but the fees are too much. But if they have technically changed the contract terms by adding a fee and I didn't sign up for can I now break contract without penalty?

No
Somewhere on that contract it says something like, we reserve the right to modify this contact at any time.

This was discussed at length in some other thread. I suppose you could read Your terms of agreement, maybe it says something different. Doubtful though.

Sent from my Droid 1 using DroidForums

dja1980

Reaction score
They're going to charge you $2 if you use a credit card. They're not going to charge you $2 if you use your checking acct. routing/acct numbers or use auto-pay. They are absorbing a cost to them that the credit card companies are charging VZW. I'm going to personally take the extra 30 seconds and use my routing/account numbers instead of my CC starting in January. How much more simple is that to avoid the fee?

Just to clarify for others, you can still use your credit card and NOT pay the $2 fee...

The way I read it, you can still use your credit or debit card without paying the fee...

"The fee is waived for bill payments made by electronic check (also referred to as "ACH") and for all bill payments made on accounts that are enrolled in AutoPay with any payment method (credit/debit/ACH card or electronic check).

This really isn't that big of a deal. In my industry, many of our carriers change $10/mo. for paper payments, and $5/mo. for manual electronic payments, and people don't think twice about it. Verizon is simply trying to motivate people to go automatic.