Verizon warning while tethering

Status
Not open for further replies.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score

This guy gets it, and he explains it well. Regardless of which device you use, you are limited by the connection speed. Everyone loves to say the tetherers are killing the network, but in reality, i could use as much bandwidth as them if i was constantly downloading on my phone.

While i don't argue that we all signed a contract saying we would get royally screwed if we want to legally tether, it is a freaking ridiculous concept.

It doesn't matter if he "gets it" or not......It's not his network.

LOL exactly. Some random guy posts his opinion, sorry I mean justification for stealing, and people are taking that as gold. Silliness. As is always said in threads like this, you're not forced to sign with Verizon Wireless, and to complain about something you agreed to is about as foolish as it gets.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Just an update, I used a total of 1.9GB since yesterday by downloading legal torrents of Linux distros. This will continue every night until I can use Wireless Tether again.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Just an update, I used a total of 1.9GB since yesterday by downloading legal torrents of Linux distros. This will continue every night until I can use Wireless Tether again.

methinks you need a life.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Because I have a life is why I can leave my phone to do background tasks while I live it. :D

Since my "smartphone" data usage is unlimited, my goal is to use 50+ GB a month until I can rationally use tethering for small amounts of data at my leisure without paying anything extra.

Reaction score

Verizon can always use their "unlimited but not unreasonable" clause in their ToS. So yes its unlimited, but if you use like 500gb they'll just terminate your service since you're killing their network and they're losing money on you.

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Because I have a life is why I can leave my phone to do background tasks while I live it. :D

Since my "smartphone" data usage is unlimited, my goal is to use 50+ GB a month until I can rationally use tethering for small amounts of data at my leisure without paying anything extra.

LOL...there is no possible way you really think your foolish plan is going to work..right? What are you, like 9 years old? "I'm gonna throw a tantrum until I get my way!"

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
I know it probably won't work. But I will do my best to prove a point until they change their stance, or they kill my contract and I move to another carrier where I can get away with light tethering usage without being raped in the wallet.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know it probably won't work. But I will do my best to prove a point until they change their stance, or they kill my contract and I move to another carrier where I can get away with light tethering usage without being raped in the wallet.

First, I think you're putting too much clout in your worth to Verizon, highly doubt they care whether you prove your point or not.

Why don't you just move on now? You're going to continue paying monthly for them in some failed attempt to prove your point? That's like saying "I disagree with people who eat meat, so I will be donating to slaughterhouses from now on!" Odd way to go about what you want to do.

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
It is odd, but it makes me feel better that I am putting a strain on the network due to them doing something to my disliking.

And in the end, it may allow me to walk away from a 1.5 year left contract without a hit. That would be worth it tenfold for me.

OP
D

drum747

Reaction score
Ok so Im running Liberty Gingerbread and I can't get either Barnacle or Wireless tether to work. I see the mobile hotpot settings and I try that and it connects. I used it a couple of times over the last 2 days. Today I go to tether and I am online for maybe 30 seconds when a message comes up from Verizon asking me to sign up for mobile hotpot at 20.00 a month. I cannot surf at all. I closed it down and reopened,same thing
happened hmmmm. How can I get back to using Barnacle or wireless tether? Anyone else have this happen? Am I missing something? I don't remember reading any warnings or issues about the built in wifi hotpot. Does this mean im now on "The list". Are guys dressed in Black waiting for me at my house?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

Wireless Hotspot is Verizon's Hotspot Application. When you engage the Hotspot App it puts the data connection to a WAP server that is defferent than the current 3G you are currently using. That server identifies that you are not registered with that server and that why is gives the page to enroll. The same would happen to you were on a stock Froyo phone and tried to use the stock Hotspot app.

You'll notice when you turn on Wireless Hotspot it disconnects your 3G and then reconnects. That is the phone changing the type of data connection you are using.

There are patches (TB Hotspot Patch) that bypasses this by putting you back on the regular 3G network but still allows you to use the more stable Verizon Hotspot App. That is why you don't get that enroll page with the patch or the other programs.

You'll notice with programs like "Wireless Tether", "Barnacle", or "PDAnet" you don't lose you data connection when you engage the tether. These programs act more of data connection sharing. Just like the old Windows 6.5 phones use to do. All you had to do with those is plug your phone into the computer and the computer would have internet. Or if you computer had internet and your phone didn't the phone would share the connection with the computer.

And no you are not on a list. As far as Verizon is concerned you are still using the regular 3G connection. However, you can always use a VPN to encrypt your network usage if you are worried.

Thanks for the information.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

gsdreams

Reaction score
People can do whatever they choice to when it comes to tethering, but that doesn't make it legal.

What you pay $29.95 for is unlimited data for one device, your phone. The contract terms bind you to what verizon says is included with your plan.

There is no grey area on this.

Now, if people want to do it I could care less, but they should at least realize that verizon could at some point throttle your service, send you a bill, or just disconnect you if they don't want to deal with it.

Chances of verizon going after all users doing this? Not real high, but if you end up in the top 5% of data users chances are very high you will get throttled.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

NeoandGeo

Reaction score
Throttling is the answer. Let users do what they want with their devices, and throttle everyone to reasonable speeds so others can't cripple the network. They don't understand this, and are only thinking about money. Since they do this, I will continue to do what I do.

gsdreams

Reaction score
So it is ok for the majority of people to pay $20/month for tethering while the minority uses most of the tethering data without paying?

Anyone trying to make the point that it is fair or right needs a morality check.

As for those that think moving to another network would help if VZW decides to crack down, you should read the other network policies.

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using Tapatalk

GDP

Reaction score
Why not just pay the $20 a month for the wifi hotspot? It's not like you're going to be throwing away your life savings. It's $20 for access to the internet, which is fairly reasonable if internet access on your laptop is THAT important to you. If it's not that important to you to spend $20 on then don't get it and quit complaining that Verizon won't give you a paid service for free.

Sent from my SCH-I500 using DroidForums

Status
Not open for further replies.