Verizon V CAST Gets Update - Brings Strange Pricing for RingTones

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
vcast.jpg

Verizon just updated their V CAST app with some interesting new features, and some 'questionable' pricing perspectives. First, let's share some of the new features:
  • The App now brings MP3s, ringtones, and ringback tones
  • The MP3s will come without DRM and are in high-quality
  • A wish list for storing songs for later purchase
  • The ability to send a song recommendation to friends, which will open the song's purchase page in the app.
The pricing model for the MP3s, ringtones and ringback tones has us scratching our heads. The MP3s range from $.99 cents to $1.29, but the ringback tones are $1.99 and the ringtones are a whopping $2.99. This doesn't seem to make much sense, because you could simply purchase the MP3, then create your own custom ringtone or ringback tone for a lot cheaper. How many of you guys use V CAST, and if you do what do you think of this upgrade?

Source: Verizon Wireless Full Press Release

baditup

Reaction score
hahaha, sounds almost as if Verizon thinks their customers don't know how to use their phones... or Google... haha

stupid pricing scheme... period. They might sucker a few morons, but that's just mean... \m/

apollyon0810

Reaction score
???

I'm gonna be honest, I've been a Verizon customer for over 6 years now and I have no idea what VCast is. I've seen it on some phones I've had, but I always remove the Verizon garbage when possible. Hide it when I can't. How many people actually use Verizon apps? And, if you can answer that, how many of those people enjoy them?

kptphalkon

Reaction score
Well as far as their vcast video streaming goes, my friend said it was worth the extra 10 bucks a month. Of course he had no idea how to google search for free streaming sites.

Sent from the Blue Falcon cockpit on my Fission 2.4.3 D2G

forum8417

Reaction score
i have had verizon for 7 years now and i have never even once considered using Vcast.

RCFlyn

Reaction score
I just hit the 10 year mark, and never used V-cast, or V-ANYTHING....
I did look at some of their prices in V-Cast a few years back, and couldn't believe their prices... Are they outta their minds????

xmguy

Reaction score
I use the Ringtone app for my Ringback tones only. I custom make all my phone ringtones. I have Rhapsody for my music.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
I used V Cast on my regular cellphones. When I got my first smart phone, I never considered it again.

On these Android phones, isnt there a stock option to set a mp3 or sound clip as a ring tone? Like if you get a sound clip in an email?

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
I don't use VCast for anything, looked at the $10/month streaming for NFL, but decided not to. I don't even know how they could get people to look past all of the Ringtone apps on the market, unless they plan on putting VCast on phones as blaotware, and possibly limiting the market from things that could compete with it?

trumpet444

Reaction score
I havent used vcast since my vx9800, and that was before I discovered Bitpim

NikoB

Reaction score
Like most others I only use VZTones for my ringbacks but not for anything else. It's to expensive. I think the reason they are doing that is because most people aren't smart nor at they resourceful and Verizon knows that so they will make money on that decision. Look at all the do-do's that went and bought the iPhone 4..not very smart folks. Why would you get the iPhone when you could get the Droid X or Incredible..people aren't smart.

BodyBagz

Reaction score
Believe it or not, not every Verizon Wireless customer is as tech savvy as those of us who frequent Droid Forums. I know a ton of people with dumb phones and smart phones alike who still purchase their ringtones straight from V Cast...its just "easier" for them.

Personally, I havent purchased a ringtone since before I had my LG VX8600 flip phone...and that was at least 5 years ago...and now I purchase 1 ringback tone per year, and that has to come from Verizon since we cant set them ourselves...