Samsung Tab available November 11

danDroid

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
samsung-tab-nov11.jpeg

It's official folks, the Samsung Galaxy Tab will be available November 11th at your local friendly neighborhood Verizon Wireless store! That Tab will launch with an unsubsidized pricetag of $599, the same price as the Apple iPad 32GB. The data plan will run you an additional $20 per month with a 1GB cap. I've had a little one on one time with the tab and I can say it's very impressive. However I feel the price is a tad bit on the high side, and with the Apple iPad coming to VZW stores in just 8 days the tab might have a hard time competing. Check our the entire press release below and let us know your thoughts.

BASKING RIDGE, NJ, and DALLAS, TX — Verizon Wireless and Samsung Telecommunications America (Samsung Mobile) today announced the highly anticipated Samsung Galaxy Tab™ will be available Nov. 11 for $599.99. Running on Android™ 2.2, the Samsung Galaxy Tab features a brilliant 7-inch touch screen; robust HTML Web browsing experience with full support for Adobe® Flash® 10.1 for video and mobile gaming; and a 1GHz Cortex A8 Hummingbird Application processor.

“This is an incredible time in mobile technology, and as a company we’re excited to add the Samsung Galaxy Tab to our portfolio,” said Marni Walden, vice president and chief marketing officer for Verizon Wireless. “The Samsung Galaxy Tab brings together the reliability of Verizon Wireless’ 3G network and the power of Android 2.2 to deliver on our promise of providing consumers and business customers with a host of options to help manage their lives.”

Popular mobile applications, including V CAST Music and V CAST Song ID, VZ Navigator®, Slacker Radio, Kindle for Android, BLOCKBUSTER On Demand® presented by V CAST Video, and the exclusive golf game, “Let’s Golf,” will be available on the Samsung Galaxy Tab. In addition to text, picture and video messaging, the Samsung Galaxy Tab will also feature V CAST Apps, Verizon Wireless’ mobile storefront offering hundreds of applications for businesses and consumers at launch.

Verizon Wireless customers can add a monthly access plan beginning at $20 a month for 1 GB on their Samsung Galaxy Tab. For additional features and specifications on the Samsung Galaxy Tab, visit www.verizonwireless.com/galaxytab.

For additional information on Verizon Wireless products and services, visit a Verizon Wireless Communications Store, call 1-800-2 JOIN IN or go to Cell Phones, Cell Phone Plans, 4G LTE network with the Best Cell Phone Service - Verizon Wireless.

Darkseider

Reaction score
Samsung/Verizon failed miserably on this one. $600 unsubsidized and they are selling the iPad for $630 WITH MiFi. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure this one out. The only way the Samsung Tab will be relevant is when they release a WiFi only version but even then I fear it will be too late for it. With the like of the Elocity A7, Notion Ink Adam and the Archos 70 and 101 releasing within the next few weeks at 50% to 60% LESS than the Samsung Galaxy Tab and some offering the next wave of Cortex A9 dual core SoC's vs. the Galaxy Tabs A8 Hummingbird it doesn't look good at all. They either need to drop the price of the existing tab to $400 - $450 or it's game over before it even started.

raymondking

Reaction score
I totally agree, as much as I do not like the iPad I don't think Samsung will do very well. The price is the killer, Samsung really needs to drop the price to be competitive with the iPad. The Samsung tab might be better but the iPad kinda already has the market so it's probably more likely to sell than a Android tablet, unless the Android tablet comes in at a spectacular price.

RemyL75

Reaction score
Samsung/Verizon failed miserably on this one. $600 unsubsidized and they are selling the iPad for $630 WITH MiFi. Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure this one out. The only way the Samsung Tab will be relevant is when they release a WiFi only version but even then I fear it will be too late for it. With the like of the Elocity A7, Notion Ink Adam and the Archos 70 and 101 releasing within the next few weeks at 50% to 60% LESS than the Samsung Galaxy Tab and some offering the next wave of Cortex A9 dual core SoC's vs. the Galaxy Tabs A8 Hummingbird it doesn't look good at all. They either need to drop the price of the existing tab to $400 - $450 or it's game over before it even started.

Yeah I have to strongly agree with you on this. Samsung screwed the pooch... ROYALLY!

I mean, $600 for a 7" tablet?? Ok, it does have more options than the iPad, and it's 3G, but VZW and Apple killed Samsung with the iPad/Mifi bundle. An extra 30 bucks gets you a device that lets you connect up to 5 devices to the internet, separate from the iPad, and it's pre-pay. So you don't need a contract to get that deal. The Galaxy Tab is off-contract too, but the better deal is clearly the iPad/Mifi one.

As much as i hate Apple, they will basically kill Samsung in the Tablet Wars.

You don't start a price war by over-charging for your product.

RemyL75

Reaction score
I totally agree, as much as I do not like the iPad I don't think Samsung will do very well. The price is the killer, Samsung really needs to drop the price to be competitive with the iPad. The Samsung tab might be better but the iPad kinda already has the market so it's probably more likely to sell than a Android tablet, unless the Android tablet comes in at a spectacular price.

I agree, like say 299.99 for a Wi-Fi tablet running Android, 10.1 in. screen, HDMI out, MicroSD slot and front-facing camera. Not that is something people will look at seriously and could actually pick over an iPad. And def over a $600 Galaxy Tab.

pyro6128

Reaction score
$600?! Who does Samsung think it is. Its not a big enough player to be charging prices like that. This thing is going to fail. People will just buy the ipad instead. I'm actually a little bit offended by samsung's audacity

ufearme3

Reaction score
+10,000 to all the comments above. This is ridiculous... Didn't say Samsung estimate they would see something like 1.5 million by some end of this year or next? No way! Especially not at these prices... the Notion Ink Adam tablet kills both the Tab and the i*ad...

To be honest I was realllyyy looking forward to this... I thought I was going to snatch it up on opening day.. even if it was ~$350... but at $600... kiss my Droid's green butt. :greendroid:

mth04

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
even I have to say at $600 I may be out of the game here.... I just bought an IPad last night too. What's funny is the first thing I thought was "it certainly isnt Android". I want a Droid talet but at this price point it's gonna be a tough pill to swallow for a lot of folks.

I had a few minutes also with one of these and as good as it was I am not sure I could justify the cost

HamDog

Reaction score
Lets just say that Steve Jobs doesn't have anything to worry about with this Samsung device. Absolutely ridiculously priced at $600. I would love to buy and play with an Android tablet, but not near this price.

And with Android O.S. and devices coming and going so quickly, it would just be plain stupid to be stuck with a 1st generation device at this cost. I guess all good things come to those with patience.

Beardface

Reaction score
$600 for a 7 inch device when Apple's 10 inch is the same price? Yeah, way to kill yourselves before it comes out.

Would love to see the other big name developers come out with 10 inch tablets of their own running Android, then I'll look into getting one. I'm talking about the following makers: Dell, Motorola, HTC, Sony, Samsung (though, this one doesn't help). I'm sure any of these guys could make a device that would put Apple to shame and dominate the market, but I'm just waiting for it to happen. Give me a reasonable, well made, dependable 10 or 11 inch Android tablet and I'm game.

mach330

Reaction score
anyone know if they say this is upgradeable to gingerbread (since gingerbread is coming out end of the year)? i hope so...then i'll be all over this.

mach330

Reaction score
$600 for a 7 inch device when Apple's 10 inch is the same price? Yeah, way to kill yourselves before it comes out.

Would love to see the other big name developers come out with 10 inch tablets of their own running Android, then I'll look into getting one. I'm talking about the following makers: Dell, Motorola, HTC, Sony, Samsung (though, this one doesn't help). I'm sure any of these guys could make a device that would put Apple to shame and dominate the market, but I'm just waiting for it to happen. Give me a reasonable, well made, dependable 10 or 11 inch Android tablet and I'm game.

well...smaller doesn't always mean cheaper per say. it has a front facing camera which the iPad doesn't and it's more portable. i'm looking for a more portable tablet and i think this is a better size.

Gonzo

Reaction score
i saw 600 and laughed.... there out of there minds if they think anyones gonna pay that for a 7 inch tablet... if you want to compete with apple at least make it cheaper than the ipad... i was considering getting one too but that is just a joke at that price.