VERIZON: The Thunderbolt should be RECALLED!!!!!

alboboy10

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your issues.

I would be more than happy to take it off your hands. ;)

Boot Manager

Seriously? Mine is running fine and i'm selling it when the nexus comes out.

OP
P
Reaction score
I want this phone you describe. Which non-profit would you have build it? And where might I find the magical unicorn milk you drink?

Just kidding. Seriously, I hope the next one you get works for you. Sounds like you've had more than your share of trouble. Will we ever be free of the profit margin. Probably not. Of course, without the profit margin, why build the phone? Conundrum.

Sent from my ADR6400L using DroidForums

Look, I'm as capitalistic as the next guy but I think, as a business model, it would be MUCH better to allow the CONSUMER to make the decision on what stays and what goes on the phone. I didn't say they couldn't configure it with those apps present to begin with. It would still require the customer to go to the trouble of deleting the apps so the companies would get the same exposure as before, they just wouldn't be NEARLY as annoying. For every dollar they lose in those subsidies, they would probably pick up a few bucks from consumers in customer loyalty for having a company that listens to it's customers and gives them what they ask for.

I should get the new phone tomorrow and then I'll have to spend tomorrow night going through the fun of transferring info/apps/etc... over. Oh JOY! I REALLY hope this phone works!

crakmasta

Reaction score
Well, since you put it that way...you have many valid points. I love my TB, but would love it that much more if verizons bloatware and propriety apps weren't forced on me.

Sent via Bolt of Thunder

jkaod

Gold Member
Reaction score
"For every dollar they lose in those subsidies, they would probably pick up a few bucks from consumers in customer loyalty for having a company that listens to it's customers and gives them what they ask for. "

Unfortunately, this is the only part I disagree with. VZW would probably lose millions in royalties paid by the companies and gain just a few more dollars from customer loyalty. They do their marketing research quite well. The VAST majority of people that buy phones couldn't care less about the bloatware or even know what the term rooting means let alone even consider doing it. VZW knows that and that's why you will continue to see bloatware, most buyers don't care if it's there.
I agree, I'd love to get rid of the bloatware too, but I think it's a fact of life for most phones. The cost of a new phone would be much higher if the added revenue were gone. I would like to see them offer a version of the phone without bloatware at an added cost though. Then we could decide if the added cost is worth it to us. I fear it would be pretty steep though.

JRParsons

Reaction score
"For every dollar they lose in those subsidies, they would probably pick up a few bucks from consumers in customer loyalty for having a company that listens to it's customers and gives them what they ask for. "

Unfortunately, this is the only part I disagree with. VZW would probably lose millions in royalties paid by the companies and gain just a few more dollars from customer loyalty. They do their marketing research quite well. The VAST majority of people that buy phones couldn't care less about the bloatware or even know what the term rooting means let alone even consider doing it. VZW knows that and that's why you will continue to see bloatware, most buyers don't care if it's there.
I agree, I'd love to get rid of the bloatware too, but I think it's a fact of life for most phones. The cost of a new phone would be much higher if the added revenue were gone. I would like to see them offer a version of the phone without bloatware at an added cost though. Then we could decide if the added cost is worth it to us. I fear it would be pretty steep though.

I guess it's all subjective, but I'd probably give them $100 more for a phone w/o the bloatware.

codye91

Reaction score
My Bolt has been a diamond in the rough. It's been nothing but good to me in every single way. I have only ever had one problem with this phone. When it's set to vibrate, why doesn't it vibrate when I get a text? That's the only problem. I've never had a random reboot or a freeze. I've rooted and unrooted numerous times, and she has never gave me any trouble. Like the guy above me, I will be selling her when the nexus comes out. I'll miss this beautiful screen, but I'll have an even more beautiful one to look soon.

deborah3756

Reaction score
I'm glad I bypassed this phone and bought DX2. Now I'm waiting for my Bionic to arrive. Hoping Bionic doesn't disappoint.

Sent from my DROID X2 using DroidForums

afrchutch

Reaction score
I'm SICK AND TIRED of this phone, or should I say the crappy software updates they keep dropping on it. EVERY update creates a NEW screw up. Gingerbread has brought back not only random reboots but also lock-ups during use, of EVERY function on it. I've had it lock up when I'm texting, emailing, surfing, gaming and talking. This is unacceptable for a $300 phone that you are locked in to for 2 years. The number one culprit that seems to lock it up is an app you can't get rid of, Sense UI. HTC/Verizon have really dropped the ball on this phone. The ONLY people I know that are having good results with this phone are those who have rooted it. Once they strip off the bloatware, they have a phone that is exceptionally powerful and works well. Anyone who leaves it stock and allows the OTA updates has had nothing but frustration. I've TRIED to give you guys every opportunity to fix it but with a phone that now reboots or locks up 20-25 times a day, I've had enough. I COULD root it but I should not have to root a phone that I paid this much for just to make if functional.

If you agree with this and are on Facebook, please join this group:

I'm sick of people complaining about this phone. If you hate it so much either root it or throw it at a brick wall. I was in the exact same position you're in now 6 months ago. After so many issues i accepted the fact that rooting and flashing a rom to it was my only option for a stable phone. I did so and it was extremely easy. Now the thing is blazing fast running MIUI and I couldn't be happier. Sorry for sounding harsh but people need to quit blaming the phone itself. Blame the bloatware and blame Verizon all you want. Don't blame the thunderbolts guts because you're too scared to unleash its true potential.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk

afrchutch

Reaction score
Okay... Follow up and answering a few questions....
1. The OP was made when I had spent all day with my phone crashing/rebooting/locking up. I had 4 calls die from the phone locking up. Each reboot, lockdown killed the phone for up to 10 minutes and no less than 6 minutes. This has been my typical day since the GB OTA. These annoyances are just the most recent in the long line of issues I've had with this phone/phones.

2. Rooting is an OPTION, not an ANSWER ( and I will use CAPS AS MUCH AS I WANT TO EMPHASIZE A POINT!!!!;)) The phone, at the price they charge for it, should work without hacking it. I am very computer literate and have been using, hacking and working on computers and computer related items since the Commodore 64, TRS-80 and Timex Sinclair. I've even hacked previous flip phones to use them as modems and email clients. Rooting it, if I WANT to do it is one thing, but HAVING to do it to get the phone to function all day the way it should out of the box is ridiculous.

3. This is my 2nd T'bolt. I had problems with my first one, performance issues and a crappy earpiece speaker. They replaced that one. Earpiece worked, software issues continued. Issues that I consider software issues: Battery life. GPS slow start/lock-on. Reboots. Lags. Force Closes. Lock-ups. All of these are from various updates that have been pushed out OTA. Each OTA creating an new problem over the one before.

4. Bloatware: Bloatware (including mandatory home replacements/UIs like Sense) effects performance by running in the background, launching when you don't want it to and taking up space that could be used by WANTED apps. HTC may create the firmware/OS and front end but Verizon selects the bloatware that will be installed on each phone as well as mandates whether bootloaders will be locked. Verizon receives a subsidy from all the apps they preinstall in the form of advertising revenue. Then the Verizon brand apps are just plain crap that you can't get rid of that should be optional. If they want to sell the phone with all of it preinstalled, that's fine, but they should NOT lock it to the phone and not let you uninstall/delete it.

5. OS versions: Verizon also tells HTC/Manufacturers which phones they want to keep upgrading and which ones they don't , therefore they DO control the firmware by controlling what they are willing to push out. They control this so they can force customers into upgrading. If all the phones were upgradeable by just being able to upgrade the core OS when Google releases the source, then there wouldn't be as much incentive to upgrade. By locking out the upgrade path to the software at a certain point, Verizon forces customers into buying new phones. My primary gripe about Android is that Google lets the OEMs fragment it so much. ALL phones should come with the option of reverting to base Android and the core firmware should be upgradeable by Google with "Sense" or "Blur" or "Touchwiz" or whatever being a home replacement app that can be updated separately. Having Google release a new OS but then having to wait 6 months for the POSSIBILITY that HTC and Verizon MIGHT decide to let you update IF they get around to it is annoying (again, rooting CAN solve this but you shouldn't have to root to take advantage of the fact that Android is "Open Source")

6. Replacing the phone with another T'bolt: I had spoken with the store about replacing it but no luck in the store. I did get on the phone with VZW and I'm getting ANOTHER T'bolt to give it one more try. Hopefully my anger will subside with a new handset. When it works I do really enjoy the phone but I've really come to LOATHE the sound of thunder since I hear it so many times a day now. They are sending a replacement phone and SIM card so that gets taken out of the equation. I really do hope it works so I can enjoy this phone again. Also, the people I spoke with on the phone were nothing but professional and were really pleasant to deal with. I will give VZW Kudos for that.

Between issues there are things I really do like about it. When it's working right it's fast, fun and things like the kickstand are things you don't think you want on a phone but once you have it, you have trouble doing without it. For a few days after the GB update, I did have an outstanding phone. It was fast, responsive phone that actually got through a full day on a single charge. Then, out of the blue, it started locking up and crashing and rebooting. Everyday it's gotten a little worse. I did a backup/factory reset/re-install and it didn't help. THAT is when I snapped. It's bad enough that we have to sign a 2 year contract to get a deal on a phone to make it affordable (even though they could retail it for the same price as the "subsidy" and still make a killing) but being locked in for 2 years with a phone that doesn't work like a phone of this caliber is supposed to makes it all the more frustrating.

In my opinion, HAVING to root it to get a decent phone is like buying a new Shelby Mustang Cobra at full price, that is sold with an 8 cylinder super-charged engine that the dealership has put a governor on the engine so that you don't go faster then they want you to and painted logos all over it and redecorated the interior because local businesses paid them to and THEN being told I can't remove any of it or I void any warranties they may offer on it. Sure it IS still a Shelby Mustang Cobra even if it has been hamstrung by the dealership and is tacky as hell because of the logos and décor. If I know what I'm doing, I can take the governor off and go as fast as I want then drive away from the dealership and get some repaint/redecorate it but I void the warranty. So I'm faced with this question, Do I go ahead and "fix the Mustang" and get the car I THOUGHT I was buying and take the chance it won't have problems that need the warranty. To finish the analogy, the dealership SHOULD leave the engine alone but give you the option of seat covers that give it "their" look while the logos are static-cling stickers and paint. They get their advertising dollars and they get to show you what they think the car would look best like but nothing is permanent so the person who PAID for it, me, can still strip off what I don't want, without penalty, and get to open the car up to it's full potential and enjoy it much more.

Some people might like buying something and immediately hacking it and changing things around and that's cool, but it really shouldn't be a preferred option for getting the full use out of what they purchase. IF I get a T'bolt that actually works the way it's supposed to THEN I might start playing around with ROMS and rooting and tweaking, but I want that to be my OPTION, not necessity.

You bought a phone not a Shelby cobra and rooting IS the answer if you don't want to buy another $500 phone.

Sent from my HTC Mecha using Tapatalk

OP
P
Reaction score

Keep in mind, I did say it would still come ON the phone so they would probably still get the advertising subsidy, but it just would not be locked on the phone. Quite honestly, I don't think it would effect who did or did not use the bloatware. The people who would normally be inclined to use it would still use it, those that wouldn't be so inclined would at least be able to delete it to make room for apps they WILL use. I know myself and several others of my friends all have a tendency to intentionally NOT use the bloatware even if it might be good just because it's so annoying that we can't get rid of it (without rooting). Heck, I like JR's idea of paying a little more for a bloatware free phone. Maybe they should offer a "premium" service of paying $25/$50 extra to get a "clean" phone. I'd be willing to do that as long as NO bloatware came on it and Sense could be deactivated.

Again, to those in the peanut gallery who keep saying "Oh you wimp just root it", My ability/willingness to root it is not the issue. The fact that I almost HAVE to root it to get the full potential of it is the problem. Rooting it is an OPTION it should not be a NECESSITY. To amend my OP, maybe they shouldn't "recall" it but just UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER so that rooting it doesn't void the warranty so that customers don't get penalized for "freeing" the phone.

afrchutch

Reaction score
Keep in mind, I did say it would still come ON the phone so they would probably still get the advertising subsidy, but it just would not be locked on the phone. Quite honestly, I don't think it would effect who did or did not use the bloatware. The people who would normally be inclined to use it would still use it, those that wouldn't be so inclined would at least be able to delete it to make room for apps they WILL use. I know myself and several others of my friends all have a tendency to intentionally NOT use the bloatware even if it might be good just because it's so annoying that we can't get rid of it (without rooting). Heck, I like JR's idea of paying a little more for a bloatware free phone. Maybe they should offer a "premium" service of paying $25/$50 extra to get a "clean" phone. I'd be willing to do that as long as NO bloatware came on it and Sense could be deactivated.

Again, to those in the peanut gallery who keep saying "Oh you wimp just root it", My ability/willingness to root it is not the issue. The fact that I almost HAVE to root it to get the full potential of it is the problem. Rooting it is an OPTION it should not be a NECESSITY. To amend my OP, maybe they shouldn't "recall" it but just UNLOCK THE BOOTLOADER so that rooting it doesn't void the warranty so that customers don't get penalized for "freeing" the phone.

I'm sure others in the peanut gallery will agree with me in saying that I don't feel sorry for someone who hates their phone with such a passion that they want it recalled, yet refuses to root it. No you shouldnt HAVE to root it i agree with you there. But i just dont think you realize what your missing out on. I plan to keep my tbolt long after im due for an upgrade because i love it that much. I dont need a nexus or a razr or a rezound. Rooting doesn't make your phone run the way it should, it makes it run better than the manufacturer designed it to run out of the box.

Sent from a very beloved Tbolt running MIUI!!

afrchutch

Reaction score
And btw I don't care about losing my warranty anymore because I honestly needed it more when the phone was stock ;-)

Sent from a very beloved Tbolt running MIUI!!

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
My Bolt has been a diamond in the rough. It's been nothing but good to me in every single way. I have only ever had one problem with this phone. When it's set to vibrate, why doesn't it vibrate when I get a text? That's the only problem. I've never had a random reboot or a freeze. I've rooted and unrooted numerous times, and she has never gave me any trouble. Like the guy above me, I will be selling her when the nexus comes out. I'll miss this beautiful screen, but I'll have an even more beautiful one to look soon.

I'm assuming within the messaging app itself you've gone to settings and messed with notifications? I believe you have to turn on "always vibrate" (or some verbiage) in there.