Verizon Smart Phone Swap?

BringsTheAwesome

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new here so forgive me if I didn't put this in the right discussion. I'm a new Verizon customer. I've been with AT&T and got really sick of their horrible coverage. So here's a quick question I have.

I bought the Droid, and I'm loving it. But I was thinking about buying a back up phone just incase anything happens to it. With my AT&T phones, I'd just slip in the SIM card and it'd pick up my phone and my contacts immediately. I was wondering, if I buy a back up smart phone from eBay, if something happened to my Droid, would I be able to activate my account on another phone? I'm sorry if it seems like a dumb question, I'm just used to SIM cards and I'm not really sure how Verizon works with activating other phones for the same account. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

brando56894

Reaction score
yes you can just call up verizon and theyll do it for you, or you may be able to do *228 option 1 from the backup handset.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
yes you can just call up verizon and theyll do it for you, or you may be able to do *228 option 1 from the backup handset.

Or you can do it via the web....10mins tops....

xliderider

Reaction score

You have to go sign up for a free account at verizonwireless.com and click on the "activate my phone" link to enter the ESN/MEID number of the device you are switching to. then you will need to make the *228, option 1 call to activate the phone.

You can also call customer service, but they might charge you $35 to do what you can do online for free.

harrellj

Reaction score
One thing too, if your backup phone is also an android phone, once your account is logged into it, it'll redownload your apps and your contacts.

brianes99

Reaction score
why not use google voice?

Google voice will allow people to dial that number and ring to both phones.

OP
B

BringsTheAwesome

Reaction score
Thank you very much for all the answers, guys. It's very much appreciated. They all helped very much. I figured it out through VerizonWireless.com thanks to this website. Once again, thank you. :)

KE6ZAP

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I'm new here so forgive me if I didn't put this in the right discussion. I'm a new Verizon customer. I've been with AT&T and got really sick of their horrible coverage. So here's a quick question I have.

I bought the Droid, and I'm loving it. But I was thinking about buying a back up phone just incase anything happens to it. With my AT&T phones, I'd just slip in the SIM card and it'd pick up my phone and my contacts immediately. I was wondering, if I buy a back up smart phone from eBay, if something happened to my Droid, would I be able to activate my account on another phone? I'm sorry if it seems like a dumb question, I'm just used to SIM cards and I'm not really sure how Verizon works with activating other phones for the same account. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Also if you register your account online with Verizon, then you can get their backup asst. for free...