How To Activate New Phone, Same Contract?

nooter99

Reaction score
One year old Bionic bricked itself, so I bought a used one off of ebay. New phone has clean ESN. I am in the middle of a 2 year contract with Verizon.
Here's my question: How do I activate the new/used phone in regards to the SIM card?
I know that I have to go to Verizon website and do the "Activate or Switch Device" procedure. But I'm unclear about the SIM card. Do I simply install SIM card from old phone into new phone before I start the activation process? Is there anything more to it than that? TIA.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
One year old Bionic bricked itself, so I bought a used one off of ebay. New phone has clean ESN. I am in the middle of a 2 year contract with Verizon.
Here's my question: How do I activate the new/used phone in regards to the SIM card?
I know that I have to go to Verizon website and do the "Activate or Switch Device" procedure. But I'm unclear about the SIM card. Do I simply install SIM card from old phone into new phone before I start the activation process? Is there anything more to it than that? TIA.

Take the SIM card out of old phone, put in new phone. If the new phone takes the newer Micro SIM card, go to Verizon and they'll give you a new SIM card, for free (as far as I know, it was free last time I did this). You don't need to do anything on the website.

And what new phone did ya pick up?!?!?!

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
After you switch/ activate option on the website pop the SIM in and see if it works. If it doesn't, on the website after you activate there is an option to enter the SIM card number and activate it over. Not sure if it can just be placed in the new phone since its active or if you need to activate it. Either way its simple.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
N

nooter99

Reaction score
Take the SIM card out of old phone, put in new phone. If the new phone takes the newer Micro SIM card, go to Verizon and they'll give you a new SIM card, for free (as far as I know, it was free last time I did this). You don't need to do anything on the website.

And what new phone did ya pick up?!?!?!

I just went with another Bionic. I wanted to get the SGIII, but I couldn't find one as cheap as the Bionic. Not due for an upgrade until May. Will get the latest and greatest then.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I just went with another Bionic. I wanted to get the SGIII, but I couldn't find one as cheap as the Bionic. Not due for an upgrade until May. Will get the latest and greatest then.

Groovy, but yeah, just go ahead and put the SIM card in the new Bionic, boot it up, and it'll activate!

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Ninja'd by Mac.... sorry didn't see that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
N

nooter99

Reaction score
OK, I got new phone. Put sim card in and it makes calls just fine.
But how do I get all my apps loaded onto new phone?
I did sync and added my google account. Got all my contacts, but no apps loaded.
What am I missing here?

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
OK, I got new phone. Put sim card in and it makes calls just fine.
But how do I get all my apps loaded onto new phone?
I did sync and added my google account. Got all my contacts, but no apps loaded.
What am I missing here?

apps and the data don't normally sync over, the data does not for sure. you can however, root the two phones and manually back up the data on the old phone and transfer to the new one.

Just reread your op though, is the old bionic at all alive?

OP
N

nooter99

Reaction score
apps and the data don't normally sync over, the data does not for sure. you can however, root the two phones and manually back up the data on the old phone and transfer to the new one.

Just reread your op though, is the old bionic at all alive?

No, old phone is dead. When I go to my google account on my pc, all my apps are there. is there not a way to sync them to the new phone? I thought there was.

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
No, old phone is dead. When I go to my google account on my pc, all my apps are there. is there not a way to sync them to the new phone? I thought there was.

When you set up the new phone and signed into your Google account did you check the box to restore? And did you keep your old phone set to backup?

And just a heads up, only apps would redownload, none of the data itself is going to be there.

OP
N

nooter99

Reaction score
When you set up the new phone and signed into your Google account did you check the box to restore? And did you keep your old phone set to backup?

And just a heads up, only apps would redownload, none of the data itself is going to be there.

No, I didnt know there was a box to restore. Can I just log out of google and log back in? I can't set the old phone to anything, as I cant get past the Motorola symbol, it's locked up tight!

OP
N

nooter99

Reaction score
I found all my apps in the store under My Apps. I guess l'll just have to re-install all of them manually. I was hoping it would do it automatically

macpro88

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I found all my apps in the store under My Apps. I guess l'll just have to re-install all of them manually. I was hoping it would do it automatically

If you go to Settings --> Privacy you'll see an option to back up my data and automatic restore, tick both these options for the future.

adwij

Reaction score
For your reference this IS the screenshot for the auto update application option.
I have never tried it yet but It seems that you will need to Install your apps manually, and the back up WIH auto restore your setting.

View attachment 58671