Verizon Quietly Makes Some Major Changes.

radon222

Platinum Member
Reaction score
So the no subsidies deal is for everyone..including Business Accounts???? My Verizon phone is on my employers account. The deal is I buy the hardware, they pay the monthly fee. Guess I'll be digging deep in my pockets when it's time to replace the OG Turbo. Either that or Swappa here I come :confused:

R

RETG

I get a 20 % discount and great service with Verizon so not sure I would switch. Looked at FI and the coverage just does not get it for us in the western states. Maybe if the carriers they use expand some more it might be more of a viable system.

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
Maybe it will be time to go to Total Wireless or Straight Talk since they supposedly use VZW Towers and Phones are Compatible. I think once i pay mine off that is what i will do.

tommyz

Reaction score
People talk about Project Fi... The problem is Project Fi uses the two worst carriers for service. There are some places we camp on Illinois and Wisconsin. I have LTE on Verizon and they have no service on Sprint or T-Mobile.

I'll stick with my grandfathered Unlimited. I don't come close to 200 Gigs. I'm lucky if I get to 10 Gigs and that's with having the phone on Cell data 24/7.

You can't beat Verizon's coverage.

The Stig 04

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P (VZ) & S7 Edge (TMO)
People talk about Project Fi... The problem is Project Fi uses the two worst carriers for service. There are some places we camp on Illinois and Wisconsin. I have LTE on Verizon and they have no service on Sprint or T-Mobile.

I'll stick with my grandfathered Unlimited. I don't come close to 200 Gigs. I'm lucky if I get to 10 Gigs and that's with having the phone on Cell data 24/7.

It will eventually get to the point where they are just going to kick you off for the very reason of having an unlimited data plan.

RyanPm40

Reaction score

Agreed. I think if you swapped T-Mobile with ATT, I might be more interested in Fi, but Sprint and T-Mobile seem to have some pretty equally-crummy coverage. I can't see VZ ever leasing out their towers to Fi.

EyeOWA

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 8
Fi is definitely out for me.
Screenshot_2017-01-09-18-23-09.png

PW_Irvine

Reaction score
You're absolutely right, Verizon's $30 fee is theft, pure and simple. I hate those bastards. However, until another carrier steps up and builds more towers, I'm stuck. AT&T is getting close, at least in SoCal, but isn't there yet. In fact, the only carrier that can I receive at my home is Verizon. They charge more and crap on their customers because they can, but one day that will change. Then, they WILL get their just deserts.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Beardface

Reaction score

Yep... that's why I said I'm in a lucky situation where I actually do have good service in this area with Fi. If you're in a more rural area, its completely different and I completely understand sticking with Verizon, because its very likely you'll have a much worse experience with the providers Fi uses.

Its funny, I live in an urban metro area of over 1m people, and my house is located in the middle of a Verizon dead spot. They know about this and they're unwilling to remedy the situation. They offered me a home unit to extend their signal, but it would cost me $250 to install, and would run off my own WiFi. With Fi I get a good 4G LTE signal. So for me, it completely made sense to switch. That won't be the case for everyone.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
So the no subsidies deal is for everyone..including Business Accounts????

I doubt that. It would increase our company bill so much, we would seriously consider moving all 25 lines to someone else.

RyanPm40

Reaction score
Nope, $30 is new. Previously it was $20 for device payment upgrades or BYOD activation, and $40 for subsidized phones.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Ah, I didn't realize they charged differently between a 2 year contract and the new subsidized method. So they didn't get rid of device upgrades, then? Otherwise, what's that $30 towards? Unless it's a $10 reduction of subsidized phones.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
It's not toward anything. It's just a few you must pay to switch phones. Kind of why everyone is annoyed.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

CTownDroid

Platinum Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
They offered me a home unit to extend their signal, but it would cost me $250 to install, and would run off my own WiFi. With Fi I get a good 4G LTE signal..

I bought a Network extender from Verizon that runs off my wi-fi and works great in and near my house. They wanted $250 but they came down to $125 when we started cancelling our 3 lines. I believe we were transferred to customer retention, not sure but that department took care of us.

I don't hate Verizon

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk