Verizon Plans to Move to Tiered Data Pricing in Summer

DroidMastar2

Reaction score
As long as my unlimitted plan with unlimitted data that I shell out about $130 a month to verizon for is grandfathered with unlimited data.... Verizon and i will remain cool. I love Verizonwireless I love the service, I love that I always have service, and the customer service has ALWAYS been awesome for me. IMO... you get what you pay for. I have had nothing but a great experience with verizon wireless thus far.

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
So in reading this does that mean if I, being already unlimited, would be good as long as I pick up better phones outside of Verizon? Meaning I pick up a Droid 3 from a private party or something to that effect?

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
My opinion on 4g though.....to me....being always on wifi....4g is just another slow internet connection. Might as well be a dial up modem.

Sorry....but 4g doesn't compete with my 50 down and 25 up....nor the MPLS at work.

shortsxit

Reaction score
So in reading this does that mean if I, being already unlimited, would be good as long as I pick up better phones outside of Verizon? Meaning I pick up a Droid 3 from a private party or something to that effect?

We don't know for sure. When Verizon introduced EVDO they didn't really allow everyone to keep MOU for data. They made all the decent phones require their newly introduced data plans just to activate the phone on the lin--it didn't matter where you purchased the phone.

geoff5093

Reaction score
It really depends on the pricing and limits of the new tiered plan. I typically use between 3-5GB per month on 3G, so if they have a 5G cap at say $20/mo. I could live with that, but if they are reducing the unlimited plan at $30/mo. to 5GB, then that will really suck. Especially when 4G is widespread and people will be doing even more downloading from their phones.

Reaction score
I use 4-5 gigs a month on 3g, completely legit. Mostly Pandora, youtube, etc... I've considered an iPhone but couldn't handle a 2 gig data limit. I'd go over every month without fail. And if I didn't it'd mean I stopped doing the things that give me reason to even have a smartphone.

I'm not home very often. Having wifi doesn't matter. If i'm home I'll be using my PC/laptop, not my mobile, anyway.

I just don't understand investing in the infrastructure to support such high bandwidth pipes and then not let anyone use it.

Tillyswilly

Reaction score
And I don't see where the grandfathered in will change when you do an upgrade if your already on a droid bc I was grsndfatherd in on the old unlimited plain when we all had regular cell phones that just did email and a little web and when I upgraded it was never cut off and I also know a lot of people who have been on AT&T for years on the unlimited plain b4 the iPhone ever came out and still have it my girlfriend included so in that case I done see that happening if you already have it then I dont see you loosing it unless you cut it off for some reason

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Some interesting points...While it's perfectly legit and can make sense to d/l 3-5gigs a month, remember the average user is still only doing like 400megs a month. For the most part, for such people to hit 2+ gigs they have to start shifting usage away from wifi/broadband and it's not unreasonable for VZW to want to charge them for that.

Just based on being 12x faster on average, LTE should have at least that much more capacity, correct? And maybe more like 20x. VZW has about 25M smartphone users, so even if everyone on the network had a smartphone that's only @4x the users. If they had the entire US that would only be 12x the users.

Will be interesting to see what they do as it appears they are going to take pricing leadership. Looks like the capacity is going to be there with LTE, so not sure why they need to limit usage, unless they are eyeing taking some share from home broadband. Speed tiers are kind of a joke, but I'm sure they're going with that at least.

desert_storm

Reaction score
I use like 6Gb a month so this is very disappointing to hear. I am looking forward to 4G LTE like most of us here, but this is taken a big chunk of my excitement I foresee a lot of $900 phone bills in the future.