Verizon Plans to Discontinue 1-year Contracts Effective April 17

Kryptyk

Reaction score
it doesn't. It just makes it easier for them to sell more phones instead of helping a customer out by letting them upgrade year to year...lol.

scarrz

Reaction score
Beardface, you must not have read that they have done away with the early upgrade for $20. This was mentioned in a previous post. Along with Verizon Ends New Every Two and Early Upgrades - SmartMoney.com

I do think this is a bad move on big reds part and Greed is the main factor. For $30 more than the 2 year new phone price I could purchase a 1 year contract and after one year I have the option of getting a new phone. Like others have mentioned phones are coming out so quickly now days I think its absurd to force the consumer into sticking with the same phone for 2 years. There is no benefit for the consumer, only Verizon.

I never got 1 year contracts so I don't really care. Plus after a year you can always do an early upgrade for an extra $20, and I've done that a couple times already.

I don't think Verizon does early upgrades anymore. You may get one more if you signed your contract before this January, but its the last early upgrade you'll get.
Oh yes they do! I just did it on Tuesday to get the TBolt. I am locked into unlimited 4G for the next 2 years, and if I don't like my TBolt after year one, might just get another 4G phone on the same plan for year 2.

By 2013, Verizon should have a better feel of the tiers and have made it more sensible for users. Blast them all you want, but EVERYONE on here who has had their phone for a year is eligible for an early upgrade for $20.

People just need to chill out. Verizon is not trying to screw us all. They provide a good service, and they are going through measures to make sure that people on their networks are not abusing said networks.

marcfogel

Reaction score
This is all that it takes....
"Give people the best that you have and get them HOOKED! Then, you can do whatever you want...you can take it away little by little and they won't go anywhere."

Look at the Gas Prices...they can raise them up to 6 dollars and people will still go to the gas station...Big Red has its customers right where they want them...and then having the best phone service (the least calls dropped), why would its customers go anywhere else? Especially when they end up with the BEST Androids.

Now that Verizon has the iPhone it should be interesting to see if they continue to have the best Androids. Sprint is getting the Nexus S which is attractive to me. I don't want to be in a two year contract anymore. Way too long now.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Beardface

Reaction score
I don't think Verizon does early upgrades anymore. You may get one more if you signed your contract before this January, but its the last early upgrade you'll get.
Oh yes they do! I just did it on Tuesday to get the TBolt. I am locked into unlimited 4G for the next 2 years, and if I don't like my TBolt after year one, might just get another 4G phone on the same plan for year 2.

By 2013, Verizon should have a better feel of the tiers and have made it more sensible for users. Blast them all you want, but EVERYONE on here who has had their phone for a year is eligible for an early upgrade for $20.

People just need to chill out. Verizon is not trying to screw us all. They provide a good service, and they are going through measures to make sure that people on their networks are not abusing said networks.

That was your last early upgrade so you're stuck with the Thunderbolt for 20 months. Whoever told you that you were getting another one probably lied to you.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
First of all, they'll always have the early upgrades, because it extends your contract for another year and get an additional fee out of you. They lock you in, and they lock you into the plan that is available at the time. This isn't the NE2 that they are eliminating, this is just an early renewal. In fact, Verizon was the ones who informed me about my ability to renew. And then afterwards, they have gone through hoops to contact me to congratulate me for my TBolt purchase. I have come away from the process feeling VERY satisfied.

And to be honest, I've never had a 1 year contract. Have always had the 2 year contracts, going back about 10 years or so. And when I look back, I've actually had 4 phones over the past 3 years. (LG Chocolate, LG Navigator, the Droid when that broke, and now the TBolt)

And lastly, to everyone freaking out over this affecting their Bionic purchase. You are going to be disappointed. Yeah, it has 2 cores. Whoopee. It comes with bloatware, it comes with Blur, and its incredibly locked down, do good luck rooting it to remove the bloat, Blur, and overclocking it from whatever Moto underclocks it to. Remember, the Droid was originally underclocked to 500Ghz. Almost 1/3 of its true power. Whereas the TBolt doesn't have those issues as its already been rooted, overclocked, and ROMs are being worked on for it.

Beardface

Reaction score
Beardface, you must not have read that they have done away with the early upgrade for $20. This was mentioned in a previous post. Along with Verizon Ends New Every Two and Early Upgrades - SmartMoney.com

I do think this is a bad move on big reds part and Greed is the main factor. For $30 more than the 2 year new phone price I could purchase a 1 year contract and after one year I have the option of getting a new phone. Like others have mentioned phones are coming out so quickly now days I think its absurd to force the consumer into sticking with the same phone for 2 years. There is no benefit for the consumer, only Verizon.
Oh, well... whatever...

I have 4G unlimited locked in and will be paying $80 a month til the contract runs out. I have no need to upgrade early. And I stand by my beliefs that the TBolt may likely be one of the last true GREAT phones before you're stuck with what Verizon and the manufacturers give you. I'm happy with my purchase.

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
So one question. Does every major cellphone provider now require 2 year contracts to get a phone for less than $300? I think Sprint, TMobile and AT&T all require 2 year contracts right?

All I gotta say is luckily there is ebay, swappa and best buys buy back program.

apl3

Reaction score
Where do you live for sprint to be an alternative ?Most of Connecticut for their network is roaming.

loki993

Reaction score
So they take away annual upgrades, then NE2, and now one year contracts......I can only imagine what is next.

Dont forget tiered data pricing.

So everyone is leaving VZW over this.

Sprint - horrible network. 50% roaming per month.
AT&T - no 3rd party Android Apps - small 3G network and good luck with the T-M Merger

How many are really affected by this or really care? There's a small handful of people out there who are voicing their opinion on here and others are reading it going OMG, this is terrible. I looked at VZW accounts for 2-1/2 years and I can tell you there were very few of the 60 plus calls I took 5 days a week for that period of time that had annual contracts.

I understaind what your saying. Its just that it seems that V$ have dropped or changed a lot of ploicies in the past few months that dont seem to benifit anyone but themselves lately. ITs a cumulitave effect. If it was just this one thing it wouldnt be a big deal. Add in the tired data, dropping of the NE2, early upgreade and the warrenty thing and you have to start to wonder what the deal is?

loki993

Reaction score
So they take away annual upgrades, then NE2, and now one year contracts......I can only imagine what is next.

Dont forget tiered data pricing.

So everyone is leaving VZW over this.

Sprint - horrible network. 50% roaming per month.
AT&T - no 3rd party Android Apps - small 3G network and good luck with the T-M Merger

How many are really affected by this or really care? There's a small handful of people out there who are voicing their opinion on here and others are reading it going OMG, this is terrible. I looked at VZW accounts for 2-1/2 years and I can tell you there were very few of the 60 plus calls I took 5 days a week for that period of time that had annual contracts.

I understand what your saying. Its just that it seems that V$ have dropped or changed a lot of policies in the past few months that don't seem to benefit anyone but themselves lately. ITs a cumulative effect. If it was just this one thing it wouldn't be a big deal. Add in the tired data, dropping of the NE2, early upgrade and the warranty thing and you have to start to wonder what the deal is?

I'm not going anywhere, but I cant say I'm happy about the recent changes they have been making.

All I can say is I hope they're doing all of this to make way for something better.

Its just hard when your being bombarded with ads for Sprint that have plans that are half the price of a plan on V$ and with unlimited data. If your in a Major Metro area I don't think there would be much of a coverage difference either.

It just doesn't seem like they have the customers best interest in mind as of late and that really bothers me. Ive stayed as long as I have because of the network and the way they treat their customers.

B-RAN

Reaction score
I really dont understand what the big deal is. There will always be a way to get whatever phone you want in the future. Take me for example... My 2 year is up in June, since June of 2009 I have had an OG Droid, Incredible and now have an X. None of which I paid over 300 bucks (ebay and craigslist) for and always sold the older one (OG and Inc) for atleast 200. So throughout my 2 year contract I've had 3 phones, no I didnt get them as soon as they came out but I still was able to play with the newest phones and move on if/when I got board. Between the 3 phones I was only out of pocked about 300 bucks over the 2 year period, which is what a 1 year contract would have cost me for 1 phone!
In June I'll grab the Bionic and within a year there will be something out there that I want, but there will also be someone out there that just bought a TBolt, DX2, Inc2, etc that will want a Bionic. The circle of life!
Yes Verizon is more expensive and they are tightening things up, but I'd rather have a business savvy company with a great network and customer service taking care of me instead of a company that has spotty coverage and bad customer service (ATT) or is losing billions (Sprint).
There is a reason why Verizon made the statement "We dont need them" about Sprint when they were asked if they would try to merge to compete with ATT/T-Mobile merger (which will never happen).
Ok, I'm done.... Have a great weekend DROID family!!!!

Stelv

Silver Member
Reaction score
I do the same thing. By phones on ebay. But I always have a used product, granted they have always been in good condition. Ebay is a shining light in the darkness that is verizon.

Sent from my fascinate

soulpatch

Reaction score
I have my two lines set up so that they each come up for renewal each year. My wife gets the older phone and I buy a new phone each year. This way I get the reduced pricing for the phones as well as the next great thing each year.

I have thought about the thunderbolt but will wait till the Bionic or one of the other phones coming out this summer...

B-RAN

Reaction score
I have my two lines set up so that they each come up for renewal each year. My wife gets the older phone and I buy a new phone each year. This way I get the reduced pricing for the phones as well as the next great thing each year.

I have thought about the thunderbolt but will wait till the Bionic or one of the other phones coming out this summer...

Great idea!!!