AT&T Plans to Stop Offering 2-Year Phone Contracts Starting January 8th, 2016

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
att-two-year-contract-ending.jpg

It looks like AT&T is the next carrier to follow the trend of eliminating subsidized phone contracts. According to leaked intel from the end of the year (Dec. 30th), AT&T plans to stop offering two year phone contracts starting January 8th, 2016.

An internal training document was leaked, detailing their new shifting strategy. According to the document any new and existing AT&T customers can only purchase a smartphone at full price, or through an AT&T Next payment plan from now on. This will apply to all phones, including smartphones and older dumb phones. It does appear that certain corporate users will be able to continue to get contract options.

The big takeaway from this is that AT&T will not even have a contract option for its existing customers who are on current contracts. That means switching devices or plans will be completely different for them.

In a later update, AT&T confirmed the veracity of this leaked document to the folks at Re/code. Here's a quote with the details,

"With $0 down for well-qualified customers, the ability to upgrade early and down-payment options available with even lower monthly installments, our customers are overwhelmingly choosing AT&T Next. Starting January 8, AT&T Next will be the primary way to get a new smartphone at AT&T."

Source: Engadget

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
We don't have subsidised plans here in SE Asia. Full price is what we always pay. Most carriers do have an affordable payment plan. Usually 0%.
I expect that the rest of the US carriers will get on board as subsidised devices cost the carriers mucho $$$ a year.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
It about time all these companies get rid of the 2yr contract options ...I know some peeps like it but it's not a better option at all ...

6s plus Tapatalk

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
It about time all these companies get rid of the 2yr contract options ...I know some peeps like it but it's not a better option at all ...

6s plus Tapatalk
And lower monthly plans as well...

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm excited to see my VZW bill this month. I used some of our Christmas money to finish paying off the Note 4 that I gave to my wife when I got the 6P, so that charge should be off my monthly bill now.

As far as 2-year contracts, I couldn't agree with you guys more. The Edge plan isn't bad (Or whatever they're calling the device payment plan on VZW these days). Prior to getting the Note 4, I was buying phones outright to keep my UDP. Once I finally realized that I was only using enough mobile data to make it silly not to switch and take advantage of the device payment plan, I gave it a try.

Now, my 6P is currently financed through Affirm, a third-party option I had when buying from Huawei. There's interest involved in this plan, which makes it not quite as nice of a deal as the carriers seem to offer, but I intend to pay it off early with other Christmas money/etc. anyway.

I'm not losing any sleep over not being locked into a 2-year contract, even though the coverage has me stuck with VZW at this point.

jackiescivic

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Jan 8th is also when Sprint will no longer offer 2yr contract to new lines of service.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk