Verizon letting me choose a phone, which one should i pick? Upgrade from Droid X?

barski

Reaction score
I'm now going to be on my 6th or 7th CLN (certified like new replacement) Droid X and i had 2 brand new out of the box ones before that. After talking with a verizon wireless technician they told me if i have another problem they will let me choose a phone.

I'm almost positive the CLN Droid X im getting now will go down in a hurry just like the others. They're all covered in an otterbox commuter and zagg screen protector, im not sure why they give me such problems.

So I'm looking at phones, I'm interested in the HTC Thunderbolt, LG Revolution, and Possibly the DX 2. 4G isn't in my area and I expect to be one of the very last to get upgraded to 4G so its not the biggest concern, but it would be nice to be locked into a 4G unlimited data plan before tier'd data goes into play. Rooting and Custom ROMS are a must, and Verizon of coarse.

I'm open to suggestions, or other phones to. If a new phone gets released, like the Targa/ Bionic, before my CLN Droid X dies I will most likely try for one of those.

So what do you guys think for a new phone?

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Id say X2.
Dual Core and great screen. Also has excellent call quality along with pretty good battery life.

Vulcan1600

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I don't think any phone will work for you. I say this after I read the sentence where you're already saying the CLNR you haven't even received yet will not work out.

Uncle Chan

Reaction score
I don't think any phone will work for you. I say this after I read the sentence where you're already saying the CLNR you haven't even received yet will not work out.

+ 1
At some point, you have to stop blaming the phone.

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

CD95YJ

Reaction score
Are you rooting and overclocking to the max? I've had one phone for almost a year, no case or screen cover and it is working great.

stonecaster

Reaction score
Are you rooting and overclocking to the max? I've had one phone for almost a year, no case or screen cover and it is working great.

+1 for me also, I have had the Droid2 since the day it came out and my wife is using my OG Droid, had it the week they were released. Both these phones are the original phones I purchased, never been returned or replaced. Neither have cases or screen protectors and both work as good as the day I took them out of the box.

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score

ahaha, i know im not giving it much of a chance, but with the record i had with them it gives me reason to not expect much. 1 CLNR i received was junk when it arrived, and my first phone i got on release day was junk in the store. IF it does work out of the box, i expect to a month and a half out of it.

I honestly hope this phone does work, i had it set up just to my liking. And i would like to back up all my contacts to gmail n stuff.

Trigger

Reaction score

ahaha, i know im not giving it much of a chance, but with the record i had with them it gives me reason to not expect much. 1 CLNR i received was junk when it arrived, and my first phone i got on release day was junk in the store. IF it does work out of the box, i expect to a month and a half out of it.

I honestly hope this phone does work, i had it set up just to my liking. And i would like to back up all my contacts to gmail n stuff.

Have you rooted all of your phones and returned them to VZW without problem? If so, how did you get away with it without them charging you an arm and a leg for the replacement?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score

+1 for me also, I have had the Droid2 since the day it came out and my wife is using my OG Droid, had it the week they were released. Both these phones are the original phones I purchased, never been returned or replaced. Neither have cases or screen protectors and both work as good as the day I took them out of the box.

This last Droid X was the first one i left overclocked at 1.2ghz. Temp rarely hits 100 F. And i had left this one without a screen protector and case for a week. The screen did scratch, so the put the screen protector on and case.

I'm outside when i can be. Hunting, four wheeling, snowmobiling, farming, making fence, and sometimes a mechanic. I know other people with Droid X's that use it outside all the time and are on there 2nd or 3rd replacement since release. Believe me i know how to handle electronics, i work with computers/ networking equipment everyday.

CD95YJ

Reaction score

This last Droid X was the first one i left overclocked at 1.2ghz. Temp rarely hits 100 F. And i had left this one without a screen protector and case for a week. The screen did scratch, so the put the screen protector on and case.

I'm outside when i can be. Hunting, four wheeling, snowmobiling, farming, making fence, and sometimes a mechanic. I know other people with Droid X's that use it outside all the time and are on there 2nd or 3rd replacement since release. Believe me i know how to handle electronics, i work with computers/ networking equipment everyday.

I work outside too and my phone has been through several, lets say struggles. People don't like wearing my silver bracelets while riding in the back of my car...

This thing has held up very well in my opinion.

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score

Have you rooted all of your phones and returned them to VZW without problem? If so, how did you get away with it without them charging you an arm and a leg for the replacement?

If i can, i'll flash them back to stock firmware. They never ask if i have rooted, and i had taken them to the store rooted and had them order me a replacement device. I can assure you rooting my phones didn't kill them, they were all legit hardware problems...like the keys, and microphones. And if they want to play rough, try making them prove i had it rooted....if they could, i'm positive they would be.

Trigger

Reaction score

If i can, i'll flash them back to stock firmware. They never ask if i have rooted, and i had taken them to the store rooted and had them order me a replacement device. I can assure you rooting my phones didn't kill them, they were all legit hardware problems...like the keys, and microphones. And if you want to play rough, try making them prove i had it rooted....if they could, i'm positive they would be.

That's good to know because I just had to get a replacement phone over the weekend and my previous device was way rooted and overclocked and uber hacked and I think the processor fried lol. I was lucky enough to be able to flash back to stock firmware before it totally bricked but I hope I can get away with it lol.

As far as replacement phones for you, I think the Thunderbolt is the way to go. It's a bad beast and when combined with Liquid's custom rom for the TB it would be totally uber beast.

OP
barski

barski

Reaction score
That's good to know because I just had to get a replacement phone over the weekend and my previous device was way rooted and overclocked and uber hacked and I think the processor fried lol. I was lucky enough to be able to flash back to stock firmware before it totally bricked but I hope I can get away with it lol.

As far as replacement phones for you, I think the Thunderbolt is the way to go. It's a bad beast and when combined with Liquid's custom rom for the TB it would be totally uber beast.

I'm sure you will be fine.

The thunderbolt is what i was leaning towards to. I like the unlocked bootloader. dancedroid