Droid Breaking... Should I Upgrade?

AliasXNeo

New Member
Joined
Aug 17, 2010
Messages
3
Reaction score
0
So, my Droid is over a year old now. I got it the day it came out, and it's finally on it's last legs. With random shutdowns, jacked up aux input, and signal/battery issues it's getting pretty bad.

The main issue I have at this point in time is whether or not I should upgrade now or try to wait until the next new android phones are released. The problem is, I don't know what the next Droid is going to be, and when it might possibly be released. I can maybe hold out on upgrading another month or so, but I'm just not sure what's on the horizon.

The second issue is between the Droid 2 and Droid X. Yes, I'm a fan of a keyboard, but I'm also not hellbent on one either. I think like anything else, with enough practice I could get used to the on-screen one. Here are the main factors for me:

Droid 2:
Keyboard
Smaller size
Same resolution as X

Droid X:
Lack of keyboard
Bigger screen
Better video (HDMI, 8mp camera)
Better ROMs

The biggest pull for me is ROM support. I absolutely love rooting my Droid and customizing it to exactly how I think it should look. From reading the two forums, it seems Droid X has better ROM support, am I wrong?

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
 

takeshi

Silver Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2009
Messages
4,573
Reaction score
0
Droid Breaking... Should I Upgrade?
As with any other device selection thread it really depends on your needs/wants. If you can maybe wait a month then waiting really isn't a viable option and you need to look at the current selection. If you can wait 6 months, waiting might be worth considering with LTE and other goodies around the corner.
 

devinhfox

Member
Joined
Nov 19, 2009
Messages
231
Reaction score
0
I agree with prev poster concerning waiting.
If you liked the size of your droid, I would opt for the d2. The keyboard is great, the size is great. They redesigned the headphone jack, so it's not all f'ed up like on OG droid.
Lack of rom support sucks, but gummyJar makes it much better.

Sent from my DROID2 using Tapatalk
 

Beka27

Active Member
Joined
Nov 29, 2010
Messages
1,456
Reaction score
6
Location
Cleveland Ohio
If there are legit things wrong with your OG Droid, have you attempted to get a replacement? Are you eligible for an upgrade (i.e. on a one-year contract?) If not, I would try and fix what you have and by the time new phones/LTE are well-established, you'll be ready to upgrade (and will still hopefully have a back-up phone is good working order.)
 

Iowa

Member
Joined
Dec 23, 2010
Messages
45
Reaction score
0
Location
Iowa
Do what is right for you....no one here can tell you what is right for you. Lots of very nice phones out right now...if you spend your life waiting for the next best and greater technology you will spend your entire life waiting.
 

plasma510

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2010
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Id take the x over the 2 any day but then Id take the fascinate over the x also. or just unlock and evo which would be better than all 3 of these. I just found a no contract evo on ebay for 100$ just unlock it and use it on verizon.
 

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Joined
Nov 1, 2009
Messages
8,699
Reaction score
0
my D1 is on it's last leg too

I've never received a 'low memory' warning but I'm just about full up with the internal memory... I've had to move a lot to the SD card just to keep my phone running smoothly.

Problem being... there's nothing out that's enough of a jump for me to purchase.... Oh dual-core where art thou? :)
 

DF Smod

Silver Member
Joined
Apr 23, 2010
Messages
11,344
Reaction score
93
Personally, I am waiting - the D2 and DX are going to be old news real soon -
 

harrellj

Active Member
Joined
Jul 25, 2010
Messages
1,058
Reaction score
2
I know you said you weren't sure when the next phone is being released, if you wait til after CES (Jan 6), there'll be all sorts of announcements of new devices, which should help with the decision.
 

plasma510

Member
Joined
Dec 28, 2010
Messages
53
Reaction score
0
Personally, I am waiting - the D2 and DX are going to be old news real soon -
Exactly especially with the thunderbolt coming out so soon and Im not even getting that because of the LG star.
 

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Joined
Dec 31, 2009
Messages
2,540
Reaction score
2
Location
Nashville, TN
CES in 6 days. If you can at least hold out another week then you might have a better idea of what's on the horizon and when said devices will release (and costs). Unless you really need something now.
 

pc747

Regular Member
Rescue Squad
Joined
Dec 23, 2009
Messages
25,465
Reaction score
6,880
As a droid 2 owner I say wait. Though the droid 2 is a nice device I would not upgrade to it....you waited this long I would wait atlest until after the CES before deciding.
 
Top