Verizon Clarifies Their Policy on Locked Bootloaders in a Letter to the FCC

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
But aren't those more or less just a theme than a real rom? Without being able to sign or mod the kernel, my understanding is there are parts of the rom/system/config or whatever you call it that can't be altered, so VZW would still be able to implement controls via software. I mean, my Rezound is unlocked and almost 4 months later because of S-On you still can't completely get rid of Sense, not yet anyway.

Yes, they are. What's tired is the argument that not being able to change the kernel means nothing. It does. The kernel is essentially the "whole OS"....think about it. Look back at all the GB "ROMS" for the Motorola Droid phones (save the Droid1). They're just themes with build.prop edits (unless there was a leaked OTA that was officially signed that you can build on). "ROMS" with a locked bootloader equals the same operating system and edits that you can do with root.

I still don't understand why people go crazy when an android device gains root. Gaining root is probably the most simple thing you can do with these phones. Without an unlocked bootloader however, you're not really doing much...