Verizon 4G?

Bxrider117

Reaction score
The last official words that I've read is it isn't going to even start until first quarter 2011. Everything else, every link, and everything else is speculation and rumor.

And it will take years to complete. If you live where I live you will get it in 2014.

Remember the cardinal rule when announcing new technologies.

Underpromise, and overdeliver, you will see 2 devices for sure, possibly 2 and 1 handset, and at least 45-55 markets with LTE by the end of the year. Unfortunately, tiered pricing on data. But you will like the tiers. The pricing wont be ridiculous.

Will LTE help with the speeds of 3g phones like the DX,D1 and DInc?

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty excited about down speeds of 5-12mbps. My home broadband is supposed to do 16 down, and it's pretty fast but I get different speed tests depending on the server (probably average more like 8-10mbps). For point of reference, I feel like most web pages probably d/l about 3mbps on my home broadband (just a guess after playing with tether it seemed about 1/3 the speed browsing from tethered pc).

3G in my home is fairly variable, probably normally between 600-1200kbps, averaging 8-900...Those 3G speeds are a little slow for me but tolerabe, but LTE 10X faster will make me very happy.

FYI, in case anyone missed it, VZW chief was saying 1/3 it's subscribers would have LTE service by year-end (maybe Q1) - but of course that is concentrated in big cities and 25-30, perhaps as much as 50 major cities by year-end.

Last edited:

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score

Maybe a little, in terms of relieving bottlenecks at peak times. You won't get a faster peak speed, but more consistent peak speeds as the load is lessened with people shifting to LTE.

Honestly, what is peak speed for 3G? 2-2.2mbps (if you are near a tower, I guess). VZW says typical speeds are about 600-1400kbps. If I could consistently get 1400, probably 2X my average, I'd maybe be tempted to stick with unlimited 3G!

vzwtek

Reaction score
The last official words that I've read is it isn't going to even start until first quarter 2011. Everything else, every link, and everything else is speculation and rumor.

And it will take years to complete. If you live where I live you will get it in 2014.

Remember the cardinal rule when announcing new technologies.

Underpromise, and overdeliver, you will see 2 devices for sure, possibly 2 and 1 handset, and at least 45-55 markets with LTE by the end of the year. Unfortunately, tiered pricing on data. But you will like the tiers. The pricing wont be ridiculous.

Not literally, because they are not going to use LTE spectrum.

Now if you look at it from a data map perspective, If more spectrum is released by major users leaving the EVDO level of the data network for LTE (like business and nerdy nerds like me). Then there will be more capacity for devices that use EVDO. So theoretically, yes, you will get more speed ON AN AVERAGE compared to what you are recieving now from you current droid mix.