Verizon 4G?

Chharith

Reaction score
If you have a new droid now, will you have to upgrade to a new phone when Verizon releases its 4G?

or will it be an on air update?

I want to establish or confirm this before I upgrade to the latest droid.

mootsucks

Reaction score
4G requires a different chip set, so you would need a new phone.

You might as well buy a droid and get another one that's 4G in a year or two (you most likely wont have it within the next year, depending on where you live)

OP
Chharith

Chharith

Reaction score
Thanks for the Quick replies. Well, Im off to upgrade my phone now.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I don't think it'll take til Q1 2011 to see an LTE handset.... It will be Q4 2010 is my guess.

Tanknspank

Beta Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
The last official words that I've read is it isn't going to even start until first quarter 2011. Everything else, every link, and everything else is speculation and rumor.

And it will take years to complete. If you live where I live you will get it in 2014.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
Here's a dumb question....What do you think the odds are that the first-gen LTE handsets will be able to seamlessly switch to 3G and offer as good of quality as 3G only handsets?

I'd hate to have an AT&T-like device that is great around the house and lousy pretty much everywhere else.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
The last official words that I've read is it isn't going to even start until first quarter 2011. Everything else, every link, and everything else is speculation and rumor.

And it will take years to complete. If you live where I live you will get it in 2014.

I read that as well.

One thing I'm wondering....The rumored Droid Pro everyone is salivating over was slated to launch in Q4, so I'm wondering if that means it won't be LTE-capable.

My Droid is running pretty darn strong now....I won't be upgrading to anything but an LTE device, I don't care how awesome the other specs are.

AzJazz

Reaction score

I read that as well.

One thing I'm wondering....The rumored Droid Pro everyone is salivating over was slated to launch in Q4, so I'm wondering if that means it won't be LTE-capable.

My Droid is running pretty darn strong now....I won't be upgrading to anything but an LTE device, I don't care how awesome the other specs are.

Amen.

Though, you may really need those hotter specs once LTE comes out. It'll really suck if the phone is the limiting factor when internetting, and not the data pipe.

But, before I ever upgrade to LTE, I'm going to have to see what VZW's tiered pricing is. I like being unlimited right now.

aDroidman

Reaction score
Verizon would do an over the air update for the phones that can support 4G. It would mean a lot of work on Verizon's part but it can be done