verizon 4g sim card in a 3g phone???

odyssey017

Reaction score
Hello I currently have a unlocked 3g droid pro that uses cmda, plus has a sim card slot that I dont use. If i get a 4g sim card to lock in my unlimited plan on any 4g device, can i use this sim card in my driod pro in till i want to upgrade?

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
What Ian said.

They won't give you a 4g SIM without a 4g phone.

OP
O

odyssey017

Reaction score
They won't give you a 4g SIM without a 4g phone.

I understand that but I would upgrade to a 4g phone with my upgrade. Then take the 4g sim card out of the new 4g phone and put it in the sim card slot in my old 3g phone.

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
When you do your upgrade (after the 28th) and "pay full price" for the phone, you "shouldn't " have a problem getting a 4G device! You might even be able to get a new phone on eBay- or c-list and have them transfer your number to the new phone! Call them first and ask before laying money down on a new phone first though, to make sure your unlimited transfers over!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Droid Forums

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
Also your unlimited plan is for data period! Be it 3G or 4G its still the same. SO if you buy the phone now , I'm not positive if a 4g sim would even work in your phone? Take it to Verizon and go over the details with CS rep. If your not going to even use the 4g phone right now, there's not even any reason to get it yet!

Last edited:
OP
O

odyssey017

Reaction score
Ok, so anytime from the 28th on I will always have to buy a phone with out contract? I do know they will NOT let me switch my unlimited 3g usb modem over to 4g before the 28th

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Maybe I'm missing something but why do you want to put a 4g sim in a 3g world phone?

pretty sure it won't even be able to access the card as LTE and GSM are not the same thing.

OP
O

odyssey017

Reaction score
Because I am/was under the impression that after the 28th I will no longer be able to move up to 4g with unlimited. ( Since I am already haveing the problem with not being able to with the usb modem)

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
Yea! That's what Verizon has out right now. If you use your upgrade after the 28th at the discounted subsidized price you will lose unlimited. If you pay full price you get to keep it (for now!) So if you have an upgrade right now, you better get it in the next two days!

Last edited:

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
odyssey017 said:
Because I am/was under the impression that after the 28th I will no longer be able to move up to 4g with unlimited. ( Since I am already haveing the problem with not being able to with the usb modem)

You will be able to keep your unlimited changing from a 3g phone to a 4g phone as long as you pay full price for the phone. If you have an upgrade available now, then upgrade now to take advantage of it. If you don't have an upgrade available now then you may be able to get an early upgrade because Verizon has been doing that allot for people that still have 3g phones.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Droid Forums

VooDooCC

Reaction score
I was told at a VZW store yesterday that I would have been able to switch to 4g from 3g after the 28th without any changes to the account. A few minutes later I asked him the same question just worded a little different and he said he wasn't sure. So nobody really knows at this point. That's when I went home and called *611 and talked them into getting me an early upgrade through the loyalty department, even though I was denied in store, online chat, and the first person I talked to over the phone.

OP
O

odyssey017

Reaction score
Went to best buytonight to upgrade. Was going to get the motorola bionic, but they were out. So I went with the LG lucid because it was a 1$. Im going to play with it for the thirty days, and either keep it, switch it for the bionic, or sell it and go back to the driod pro.

electricman58

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"ROOTED" Droid Turbo
odyssey017 said:
Went to best buytonight to upgrade. Was going to get the motorola bionic, but they were out. So I went with the LG lucid because it was a 1$. Im going to play with it for the thirty days, and either keep it, switch it for the bionic, or sell it and go back to the driod pro.

Nice! Just checked out the specs on the LG LUCID and it looks pretty decent! Can't beat it for a dollar! Once you go 4g you'll never want to go back!!! Its super fast! Might wanna double check on that 30 day policy? VZW is usually 14 days. I'm a little partial with my love for my Bionic, and the Razr Maxx is pretty bada$$ too!!! A little bit better screens. But like I said, specs look pretty good on yours though! Let us know how it goes :-D

OP
O

odyssey017

Reaction score
Because I bought it though bestbuy i have 14days to return and 30days to exchange with another phone. From just playing with it so far ill probably keep it