Venting: we need to make or push google to make a internet radio station.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Wow, 6 years later and not only do I not care about Pandora. But I have better options and Google music has become my choice for streaming music.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
*Gulp* I've been here for 6 years?

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Yup basically over half a decade spent talking about android phones.

When I look at threads like these it is like I am able to see the progression of technology in a different light. I forgot how frustrated I was with Pandora back in the day. And to find myself now at a time when there are countless other music streaming services vs back then when it was mainly Pandora and Slacker.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Never been a fan of Google music, but maybe they've improved over the past year or so IDK. I'll download the occasional free album but that's about it. My go-to's, in order of importance are: Pandora Pro, iHeart Radio Slacker, TuneIn, Amazon music and then my own downloads. I use all of the above on a regular basis each week.

S5 tap'n

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Honestly, I never really got into the music streaming thing until Google offered their service. I tried Pandora several times and Spotify a couple times. I never tried the paid versions that I can think of, but with a lifetime Sirius subscription in the car, I was just looking for something to supplement and be able to listen to music elsewhere.

Even with Google Music, I've paid for it since the "beta" days, but really didn't start using the heck out of it until last May when we got married and bought my truck. The wife has the car with the Sirius radio now (which I've said in a ton of threads, sorry), so I stream ALL of my music these days.

It's been great though. I'm a HUGE fan of the "I'm feeling lucky radio". I keep the widget on one of my homescreens. Usually, 1-3 taps of that widget land me on a playlist that suits my mood and it's actually turned me on to a lot of stuff I didn't really even know existed, but thoroughly enjoy. I also just tell my watch to "Play some music," which effectively does the same thing (especially in the cold of Winter that we're still trying to shake off...It's snowing here)

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I haven't used G Music in a long time but I keep coming back to Pandora because I think they're the best at curation: taking what I Thumbs up or thumbs down and finding new stuff I might like.

Reactions: cr6

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Since we resurrected a 6 year old thread, I might as well chime in also. :D I have been alternating between Play Music Stations and Amazon Prime Music Stations for a while now. I think the Play Music app has come a long way since 2010 when this was started. It may not be as good as Pandora in some ways, but their Station selection is not bad and the app recommends some good "stations" based on my thumbs up music. I like to try the "recommended for you" stations sometimes just to see what they throw in the mix, sometimes good tunes and sometimes some really weird stuff.

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I haven't used G Music in a long time but I keep coming back to Pandora because I think they're the best at curation: taking what I Thumbs up or thumbs down and finding new stuff I might like.
I feel like Google's done a really good job of that since I started consciously giving thumbs up and thumbs down. My Thumbs Up playlist currently has 1032 songs in it and I add more every day.

But, part of it may just be what you're used to. As I said before, Google was the first one that I really used regularly, so it's what I've become used to and enjoy.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have to say this, though I rarely use Pandora, when I do I no longer have the issues I had when I started this thread. My issue with Pandora now is I would get artist's music that is outside the genre. Example is that my music choice is that of Lecrae, Tedashii, GRITS, etc and I'll somehow get music that is of the rock genre or soft gospel genre making me have to waste my skips, despite me using the thumbs down. Google music is my choice by default of me having YT Red subscription. But what is cool is how I got my wish, Google making a subscription radio, though it may not be at the caliber of Pandora yet, I find myself using it more. I can go months without opening the Pandora app, but when I do it's the same, I open Google music everyday.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I'm just not ready to pay. Still.
Everything I've mentioned I use was the free version. Except Spotify. I pirate my wifes' occasionally.
(Trust me Spotify, together we probably still don't use it as much as ONE person REALLY into it does).
Oh, I forgot to mention Freegal. I use that occasionally. That's one that your library may offer you for free. Currently has a deal with Sony Music only I think but the twist here is: depending on the relationship with your library, you get to download and keep forever xx amount of songs per week.
(In CLE, it's 3)
Freegal Music : Your New Music Library : Home

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
I still like Pandora for it's selection of similar songs in a "radio" station. Yeah, I subscribe to Spotify for higher quality, and I know Spotify does similar I'm just not motivated to bother doing all the thumbs up/down to get there. And Pandora is free.

Spotify also gets the edge for offline playback (although you have to subscribe).

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I'm just not ready to pay. Still.
Everything I've mentioned I use was the free version. Except Spotify. I pirate my wifes' occasionally.
(Trust me Spotify, together we probably still don't use it as much as ONE person REALLY into it does).
Oh, I forgot to mention Freegal. I use that occasionally. That's one that your library may offer you for free. Currently has a deal with Sony Music only I think but the twist here is: depending on the relationship with your library, you get to download and keep forever xx amount of songs per week.
(In CLE, it's 3)
Freegal Music : Your New Music Library : Home

Thanks for rubbing it in again that my library isn't supported there. :p

I still like Pandora for it's selection of similar songs in a "radio" station. Yeah, I subscribe to Spotify for higher quality, and I know Spotify does similar I'm just not motivated to bother doing all the thumbs up/down to get there. And Pandora is free.

Spotify also gets the edge for offline playback (although you have to subscribe).

Google does all of that as well, plus no ads in YT if you subscribe. (Not sure if you can do offline playback without a subscription, but I know you can with one.)