Using the Spectrum 2 on GSM Networks?

micrors4

Reaction score
I know this phone is supposed to be unlocked, but has anyone tried it on T-Mobile because I got a SIM card to take advantage of T-Mobile's cheap $30 unlimited data plan.

OP
M

micrors4

Reaction score
For anyone that might be interested, I bought a T-Mobile SIM card and a $3 day pass to see if data would work, but it doesn't, only voice and text so I might have to get another phone for when I travel outside the states.

OP
M

micrors4

Reaction score
I actually completely forgot about that, I will have to try it tomorrow when I have some time but when I looked at the specs it didn't appear to have any HSDPA radios as I only want T-Mobile for the unlimited data so I can tether it to my laptop when I am on the go.

Layvin1

Reaction score
I actually completely forgot about that, I will have to try it tomorrow when I have some time but when I looked at the specs it didn't appear to have any HSDPA radios as I only want T-Mobile for the unlimited data so I can tether it to my laptop when I am on the go.

You know if you look at the fine print of T-Mob you only get 100mb of 4g speeds and then are cut down to 2g speeds for the rest of the month....yep that's right, not even 3g speeds for unlimited. That's got to be horrible.

Sent from the Best overlooked phone in the market. LG SPECTRUM²

OP
M

micrors4

Reaction score
It won't be my main source of data, I will still rely on verizon, and I will probably just get a 1 day pass for $3 when I want to tether that way I don't eat into my 2GB cap from verizon. Plus I will also be traveling to New Zealand in a few months so it would be nice to know I can get some data with a prepaid plan when I go there.

Layvin1

Reaction score
It won't be my main source of data, I will still rely on verizon, and I will probably just get a 1 day pass for $3 when I want to tether that way I don't eat into my 2GB cap from verizon. Plus I will also be traveling to New Zealand in a few months so it would be nice to know I can get some data with a prepaid plan when I go there.

I gotcha....New Zealand huh.....that would be awesome. Safe travels to ya......

Sent from the Best overlooked phone in the market. LG SPECTRUM²

OP
M

micrors4

Reaction score
I finally got around to testing it and it does indeed work with the HSPA+ on tmobile. I did look at the T-Mobile plan and the $30 plan gives me 5GB at 4g speed before dropping down to 3g speed.

tooter1

Reaction score
That's good to know. I'm sure a lot of folks would want to know this.

PaneInTheGlass

Reaction score
I'm interested in doing the exact same thing: using the Spectrum 2 on T-Mobile's network. Was it SIM unlocked out of the box, or did you need to contact Verizon Cust. Support?

FWIW, I web-chatted with a Cust. Serv. Rep. last night and they said their phones were SIM locked to the Verizon network. I'm not saying that's right, I'm just saying I've heard conflicting reports, none of which seem particularly concrete. Aside from this one, of course. :icon_wink:

OP
M

micrors4

Reaction score
Yea, they are unlocked for use as a global phone but they are locked for use on CDMA so you can't go to cricket or some other company but you can use t-mobile it any other sim based network.

PaneInTheGlass

Reaction score
Okay, now you got me excited. I didn't see the $30/mo unlimited data plan; I looked right over it. Now that I see it, it's got me thinking. 100 minutes of talk really isn't that much. And unlimited is a lot of data, even at 3G. What if there was some way to route voice calls over the data network? Then it wouldn't matter how many minutes you had! Yeah, someone's already thought of that. So I'm torn between paying $30/mo for 100 minutes (which probably wouldn't be enough on its own), or $60/mo for 500 minutes (which would definitely cover my needs). Nice thing about the first one is that it's month-to-month, so if for some reason it doesn't work out, I can just jump up to the 500 plan (which, unfortunately, would require a contract).

I know that had nothing to do with the Spectrum 2, but still, I think it's neat.

OP
M

micrors4

Reaction score
I just buy a one day pass or get a month one I know I'm going on a trip and will need to tether my computer or spend a lot of boring hours in a car. I still have my verizon plan so that I can keep my number but I don't use that much data anymore so I just have the cheapest plan 2GB plan with Verizon.

PaneInTheGlass

Reaction score
I get that, I was just thinking out loud. In my case, I'm looking to use T-Mo exclusively, so it's worthwhile to consider my options. Unfortunately, I don't really like like any of T-Mo's phones, which is why I decided to venture into the dark and treacherous realm of BYOD. I think right now I have it down to the Spectrum 2 or the Sony Xperia ZL.

As far as the Spectrum goes, I took another look at it and realized it cannot use 1700/2100 MHz UMTS. Neither can I find any reliable info on T-Mo's refarming efforts. So that's a bit of a dark horse. I'd hate to pick it up only to be limited to 2G. Admittedly, I'm usually using wi-fi anyway, but still.

OP
M

micrors4

Reaction score
I think your best bet is to get a nexus 4 as it will probably be cheaper than an off contract spectrum plus it is probably a better phone in the end and you know it will work with 4G. Not that the spectrum isn't a great phone but if you haven't bought one yet and your intent is to use it on a GSM network your better off looking at some other phones, because I believe it does work on 3G but you won't be ably to utilize the 4G network on T-Mobile, I haven't really had time to fully test it in a while and I can't remember if I had issues with 3G.