Droid 4 with global GSM SIM?

crescentmage

Reaction score
I searched, but didn't find a thread on this topic. Has anyone tried inserting a GSM provider (T-Mobile, AT&T, or global carrier) SIM into the Droid 4? I know that the HTC Rezound will work with global SIM cards out of the box, though there are still issues with messaging. The Droid 4 is supposed to have global capabilities that have not been enabled yet, but I haven't heard of anyone trying the global capabilities.

Reaction score
it will take more than just swapping in a new SIM to get this to work on another (not verizon) network

r314bd

Reaction score
I don't know how reliable this article is but it indicates that the Droid 4 will get GSM capability via a firmware update later in the year.

OP
C

crescentmage

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies. I know that media outlets have stated that there are global GSM radios that will be enabled by Verizon at some point in the future. I was curious as to whether anyone has been able to get them to work, similar to the HTC Rezound that works out of the box with just some changes in the settings. Most likely, the Motorola radios will be harder to activate, and Verizon will try to squeeze as much money as possible through overpriced roaming agreements, but I thought I'd see if anyone has at least tried a global SIM to see what happens.

ikari

Reaction score
I am going to try it very soon, since I want to use the phone here in Poland. I hope that an unlock will be worked out by these smart guys here as easily as rooting of the phone ;-)