Using the Maxx in direct sunlight?

rosariorose9

Reaction score
My two complaints about my Incredible were its battery life ( I'm confident that the Maxx will be much better) and how poor the screen was in direct sunlight - where it was basically un-viewable. :blink: So, anyone used their Razr in direct sunlight? How did it look?

MaXGTS

Reaction score
It's cloudy here today. As soon as it's bright outside, I'll take my Maxx for a walk and let you know.

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
^^^

Thank you, my friend! I'm hopeful that the super amoled screen on the Maxx will at least be useable in sunlight. The amoled screen on my Incredible is HORRIBLE in the sunlight...

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
I really want to know, too. That has been my #1 complaint for my phone.

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
I really want to know, too. That has been my #1 complaint for my phone.

Agreed! I know that the battery life issue has been addressed with the Maxx, but without a screen that I can work with outdoors, the phone will not be a 'go' for me. My Incredible is a great phone, but outdoors it's totally useless...

deduct

Reaction score
Bionic has the best screen for viewing in direct sunlight.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
Bionic has the best screen for viewing in direct sunlight.

I've read that in some online reviews, but I'm really interested in the Razr...

R

RETG

I'm interested too, since AMOLEDs are noted to have poor sunlight visibility.

JohnnytheK

Reaction score
Not good, in direct sunlight it's washed out and nearly unreadable. Any shade at all and at max brightness you're shiny. I used my melon for shade all day.

This kinda sucks, cuz I work under artificial light my brightness is set to low.
So when I step outside it's way too dim so I've have to poke blindly at my brightness icon until the screen is bright enough to see. I'll try auto and see if that helps.

Sent my new Droid Razr Maxx

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
Not good, in direct sunlight it's washed out and nearly unreadable. Any shade at all and at max brightness you're shiny. I used my melon for shade all day.

This kinda sucks, cuz I work under artificial light my brightness is set to low.
So when I step outside it's way too dim so I've have to poke blindly at my brightness icon until the screen is bright enough to see. I'll try auto and see if that helps.

Sent my new Droid Razr Maxx

Thanks for your response. Let us know what you try and what your results are. Also, let us know where you live and how bright it is outside, if it's sunny or overcast, etc.

Even so, whatever settings you use, when I get my phone, I'm willing to charge the phone more often if I have to. The battery is gigantic in comparison to other phones out there so I'll take advantage of it just to see my phone in direct sunlight.

Edit: I rooted my Omnia 1 last year so I can have a more user-friendly interface. The downside of it was that I ended up killing my battery life. That, and well, my voicemail notifications don't show up unless I reboot the phone. I'm way past due for an upgrade, anyway! But, I tried using it in direct sunlight. I was able to make some progress by making some changes, but it was still virtually unreadable.

Last edited:

rjeatkrconley

Reaction score
I live in El Paso, TX. The "Sun City". My only complaint is I can't see the screen with my sun glasses on. I use the factory power control widget to change the screen brightness. At 100%, I can see the screen just fine in direct sunlight, as long as I lift my sun glasses.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

LegalAmerican

Reaction score
It's funny how everyone hates on the bionic screen, but they hate that they can't see their cell phone's screen in sunlight. I guess some people would rather be able to watch high definition movies on their phone than to be able to use their phone outside on a sunny day. My screen is crystal clear in direct sunlight with or without sunglasses. I know you all are talking about the razr here, but keep that in mind next time you read on here about the "horrible" bionic screen.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using DroidForums

JOSHSKORN

Reaction score
It's funny how everyone hates on the bionic screen, but they hate that they can't see their cell phone's screen in sunlight. I guess some people would rather be able to watch high definition movies on their phone than to be able to use their phone outside on a sunny day. My screen is crystal clear in direct sunlight with or without sunglasses. I know you all are talking about the razr here, but keep that in mind next time you read on here about the "horrible" bionic screen.

The DROID BIONIC forums are here, bro. No one cares about your trolling. Now lets keep this on topic. Thanks.

deduct

Reaction score

+ 1

OP
rosariorose9

rosariorose9

Reaction score
Thank you to those who responded 'on point'.

Went into my Verizon store today, and asked if I could take a Maxx outside to check the visibility issue. Unfortunately, the Maxx was 'tethered' to the counter, so that was not possible. One of the salesmen owns a Razr, however, and he offered to bring it in tomorrow, so I'll check it out then and give my thoughts on this forum. In the meantime, he noted that his screen was not "great" outside, and so I asked him to accompany me outside and check out my Incredible screen. I showed him just how bad mine was. He laughed, and said "Man, that's CRAP. Yeah the Razr screen is definitely better than that!" I was encouraged by that, and after playing with the Maxx in the store, I REALLY hope it looks ok outside, because it's a very impressive phone.