Display in sunlight

mba

Reaction score
I've had my RAZR (original) for almost 2 years, been happy with it for the most part. I'm not like so many who complainded about battery life, I'm really a VERY lite user. Phone,Text,Browsing the web,calander, just basic stuff. My complaints are, I think the camera is average at best, and the display is AWFUL in sunlight. My question is, has the display on the HD improved the viewing in sunlight? About time for a new phone, so just starting to look around @ whats out there now.

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
I had pretty much every Razr and a GS3 Now have a MaxxHD.

No complaints but any phone in the sun is a challenge IMO. When need be, I just goose the Display Brightness.

Nice phone though. I like it.

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The display will be slightly better in the sunlight, as they improved the "whiteness" of the whites vs. the older Razr lineup. However, any SAMOLED based screen is going to be "so so" at best in direct sunlight. IPS/LCD screens tend to perform better in direct sunlight, but don't look as rich or deep with their colors.

OP
M

mba

Reaction score
How bout the camera, has it been updated? Hate to say this, but I think that OTHER PHONE, excells in the areas I'm not pleased w/ the RAZR. But I really like everything else.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

jntdroid

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
To be honest, few are as good as the camera in an iPhone.

The camera in the HD lineup is so so, but honestly not any better than the original Razr lineup.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

CaptainSS

Gold Member
Reaction score
Camera in my GS3 was "as good" as the other phone but ..... want a really good camera.
Nothing beats a good camera they just don't
make phone calls :biggrin:

The MaxxHD camera is adequate.

amkor

Reaction score
Droid RAZR M here... I don't know what's the function of "Automatic Brightness" ? It doesn't brighten the screen outside in the sun, so what's the "Automatic" here?

Is there an app or widget that actually senses the ambient light and can tell the phone to automatically brighten the screen in bright light?

...Thanks...

Last edited:

turbodave

Reaction score
I don't know. I think the camera in my MAXX HD is pretty darn good for what it is. I like using the camera's native HDR mode on the shots I take. I also shoot in it's highest resolution. Seems to liven things up a bit. Here's and example:

OP
M

mba

Reaction score
I turned my auto brightness off & turned the brightness setting all the way up, it helps outside, a lot, but my battery is done after about 9 hrs. & I am a extremely lite user. So that's not really a good solution for me.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Dalvik_Cache

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Reaction score
The camera on the DNA is out of this world! It decimates the iPhone camera 10/1. So does the camera on the S4.

To be honest, few are as good as the camera in an iPhone.

The camera in the HD lineup is so so, but honestly not any better than the original Razr lineup.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2