Using music for ringtones on Razr M

jbcarco

Reaction score
Hello,

New Razr M owner here, having replaced my Droid 2 Global yesterday. Overall happy, but...I've not been able to use my music for ringtones, as I had with the Droid 2 Global.
I'd prefer not to download an app; does anyone know of a workaround for this?

Thanks!

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Just a guess here as I don't have an M.. can you long hold a songs name and set it? What do you see when you go into the ringtone selections?

OP
J

jbcarco

Reaction score
the Droid 2 worked that way

Just a guess here as I don't have an M.. can you long hold a songs name and set it? What do you see when you go into the ringtone selections?
...but no, this one doesn't...the ringtone selections only shows the ones preset to the phone. there's no option to browse the phone.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
And when you select "Select a ringtone" music doesn't show up? Like I said, I don't have an M and you prob tried this, just trying to help.

Shadez

Super Mod/News Team
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
Current Phone Model
HTC One M8
Twitter
@Shadez69
Ok this is what I found so far but think you tried it:

How to set downloaded song as text message ringtone on droid - Save song from text message on droid pro?. I have a droid pro and I was wondering how to save a song a text message? :: Ask Me Fast

For some reason wouldn't let me c&p it...

When you go to the ringtone setting option it will show you a list of all the songs from your phone memory and SD card memory. Just move to the song you want to set as ringtone and your message ringtone will change. Remember that your phone should have an SD card and if the song you are willing to set as ringtone is on the phone memory then even you can set that ringtone. Roger Waterson

Read more: How to set downloaded song as text message ringtone on droid - Save song from text message on droid pro?. I have a droid pro and I was wondering how to save a song a text message? :: Ask Me Fast at How to set downloaded song as text message ringtone on droid - Save song from text message on droid pro?. I have a droid pro and I was wondering how to save a song a text message? :: Ask Me Fast

When you go to the ringtone setting option it will show you a list of all the songs from your phone memory and SD card memory. Just move to the song you want to set as ringtone and your message ringtone will change. Remember that your phone should have an SD card and if the song you are willing to set as ringtone is on the phone memory then even you can set that ringtone. Roger Waterson

Read more: How to set downloaded song as text message ringtone on droid - Save song from text message on droid pro?. I have a droid pro and I was wondering how to save a song a text message? :: Ask Me Fast at How to set downloaded song as text message ringtone on droid - Save song from text message on droid pro?. I have a droid pro and I was wondering how to save a song a text message? :: Ask Me Fast

When you go to the ringtone setting option it will show you a list of all the songs from your phone memory and SD card memory. Just move to the song you want to set as ringtone and your message ringtone will change. Remember that your phone should have an SD card and if the song you are willing to set as ringtone is on the phone memory then even you can set that ringtone.

When you go to the ringtone setting option it will show you a list of all the songs from your phone memory and SD card memory. Just move to the song you want to set as ringtone and your message ringtone will change. Remember that your phone should have an SD card and if the song you are willing to set as ringtone is on the phone memory then even you can set that ringtone.

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
Here's a easy method:

Make a folder on your sdcard named "media" (all lowercase letters)

Inside that folder, make another folder named "audio" (all lowercase)

Now make the following folders inside the "audio" folder:
alarms
notifications
ringtones

Now put whatever audio files you want, into the corresponding folders. Reboot. When you boot up, your phone will read the sdcard and will associate the folders you just made, with the system folders of the same names. Then your songs and whatnot will show up in your menus. :) Hope that helped.

OP
J

jbcarco

Reaction score
kind of a naive question

but, would I make that folder on the phone itself, or connected to my laptop via Windows?

spc_hicks09

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.teamoctos.com
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Twitter
spc_hicks09
but, would I make that folder on the phone itself, or connected to my laptop via Windows?

Doesn't matter really. As long as you name the folders right and make sure they're all lowercase.

war88

Reaction score
The last answer was the best. My phone's internal storage already has a ringtones folder from an app that has it's own ringtone so I can just add into that folder. The thing is that the file can only be a certain size to show up. A 4 MB song is too big and won't show up. [edit] I need to amend that statement, large files show up fine. They weren't showing up earlier for some reason.

To answer the question of how to create the folder, it can be done either way. If you do it from the phone using the stock programs you would go Apps button > Files > Device storage OR sd card (depending on where you want to store the file). Once you select whether you want to use internal storage or sd card then on the bottom row of the Files app are 5 buttons. The 4th one going from left to right is the create a new folder button. It's a white rectangle with a + next to it.