Using Cyanogen 5.0.5 & Clockwork Recovery, Need to go Back to Stock 2.0.1

hepbone

Reaction score
Let's see if I can cover everything in post. I want to try and avoid using the sbf method. I installed Cyanogen last night and I've done A LOT of research today, but most people are saying to use the Nandroid backup...which I don't have.

* Rooted phone and installed Droid Mod 1 with DM Updater
* Used ROM Manager to install Cyanogen 5.0.5
* Everything was easy except:
* Can not sign in to Google Account to sync phone or access the Market
* Installed DM Updater again, but it can not see my SD card, says it's not mounted (but I know it is because everything else can see it)
* Just want to go back to Stock 2.0.1 to start over again
* I DO NOT have a Nandroid backup that I can use
* When I use DM Updater, it just reboots into Clockwork Recovery
* My options in Clockwork Recovery are:

-reboot system
-apply sdcard:update.zip
-wipe data/factory reset
-wipe cache partition
-install zip from sdcard
-nandroid (but it says "No files found")
-partition menu
-advanced

1) Which of those options will reinstall Cyanogen so I can try and install the Google Apps add-on to it?

2) Which one of those options (if any) will JUST install the Google Apps add-on for Cyanogen?

3) Should I just use the commands in Terminal Emulator to install SP Recovery? If so, will it be self explanatory to use SP Recovery to get back to Stock?

"su" press enter
"flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3.img" press enter
"reboot recovery" press enter

4) Just say screw it, and do the sbf flash? (don't really want to have to do this one)

I don't want to jump the gun with my choice and then have the phone freeze with no one online to help out. I think I covered everything above, but my brain is getting fried!

Thanks so much for any help that can be provided! And if you live anywhere near Tacoma, WA I'd be happy to buy you a beer for the solution! :)

OP
H

hepbone

Reaction score
Ok, well, I think I have this handled now. I found someone to talk to over IM and was able to get the Google add on loaded.

I think we have it worked out where I can use the Terminal Emulator commands to install SP Recovery and from there it will be easy to get back to stock if I ever need to.

Thanks to all who read this!

wbmason1

Reaction score
I'm trying to get back to stock. I have a copy of SP recovery on the root of the sdcard but it keeps telling me (in terminal) that the image isn't found, do you have any idea what I need to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
I'm trying to get back to stock. I have a copy of SP recovery on the root of the sdcard but it keeps telling me (in terminal) that the image isn't found, do you have any idea what I need to do? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Do you have the same version as above or is it an earlier version (.99.1 or .99.2)?

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
What does the file name look like on the root of your sdcard?

thebowers

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Remove the .zip at the end and then try the terminal commands.

su
flash_image recovery /sdcard/recovery-0.99.3.img
reboot recovery

wbmason1

Reaction score
I did a battery pull to get it to reboot, when it rebooted.... it STILL has the Cyanogen mod showing. So I guess it didn't do anything. =( What am I missing? This is driving me crazy!!!!!

OP
H

hepbone

Reaction score
I did a battery pull to get it to reboot, when it rebooted.... it STILL has the Cyanogen mod showing. So I guess it didn't do anything. =( What am I missing? This is driving me crazy!!!!!

What you did in Terminal Emulator is force SP Recovery on the system. I have to do that to get DM Updater to work. Once you've rebooted after using the Terminal Emulator, open up DM Updater and you should be able to choose Stock 2.0.1 to get your phone back there. But you also need to make sure that you have the update-stock.zip on your phone from DM Updater. That file holds the stock image to get you back there.

wbmason1

Reaction score
how do I know if I have the Update-stock.zip on my phone? Or better yet, where do I get it from so I can make sure it's on there?

OP
H

hepbone

Reaction score
Either use Astro file browser app to look if it's in your root directory on your card, or plug the phone into your computer via USB and open up explorer to see if it's on your phone.

Did you use DM Updater to get to Cyanogen through Droid Mod? That's what I did, I rooted my phone, then installed DM Updater and installed Droid Mod 1 from there. Then I installed ROM Manager in Droid Mod to install Cyanogen 5.0.5. But when I got into Cyanogen, I couldn't use DM Updater to go back to Stock 2.0.1. That's when you have to use the Terminal Emulator to force SP Recovery on your phone and then you can use DM Updater to get back to Stock 2.0.1. Without SP Recovery, DM Updater in Cyanogen just keeps telling me that my sd card is not mounted to phone, even though it is.

If you used DM Updater already, then you should have the update-stock.zip on your card already.