use my s3 as a pc monitor via usb?

Bogus Exception

Reaction score
I work on PCs, desktops, quite often and I don't ask for the monitor. Usually I have to come up with 1 of my monitors drag it out and plug it in in order to simply see the screen.

is there a way for me to run an application on my droid and have it appear to the PC as a monitor that it sees on a USB port?

To be clear, I'm not looking for VNC, RDP, or anything wireless, etcetera. What I am looking for is for my galaxy s3 to appear to the PC as a valid primary monitor for it to boot to. This allows me to see post and the operating system without having to use a large monitor.

in fact, I don't really even care if the phone acts as a touch screen. I can use the mouse or even the keyboard plugged into it I just need the droid to act as a monitor. If, on the other hand, the touch screen was seen as a viable input device, emulating a mouse, then that would just be a bonus.

TIA!

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
Closest thing I've found is this: Use Your Android Device As A Side Monitor With A Windows or MAC Desktop

Downside is of course it needs to be installed on the PC (kinda hard to do without a monitor:D)

I fix alot of PCs myself and wish it were that simple, but my main workspace allows me to connect the tower to my TV. I searched in the past, but found nothing, this is the closest thing I can find.

OP
B

Bogus Exception

Reaction score
No that is a really good find, but the Android especially my s3, sure wouldn't add a lot of real estate. I think what is out there might be something that would convert VGA d-sub 15 into something that the Android could understand. I fully expect an application would be needed on the phone, but that's perfectly fine because we're not demanding anything to be installed on AT cases when we can't even see the monitor.

I also have my suspicions about devices like lilliputs USB monitors, in that I wonder how recent a by us needs to be in order to allow a USB primary monitor. This is why I feel that a VGA converter off some fashion is probably the best thing to add to the Android phone itself,

OP
B

Bogus Exception

Reaction score
So now I guess the magical device is 1 that has AVG a input and a USB output being paired with some sort of application that would recognize the video coming into the USB port.