USB cord?

patmc81

Reaction score
How did Motorola make it so you have to use there USB? I tried two other cords and all they would do is charge, then I find the moto cord and it syncs?

Sent from my DROID RAZR

eidian

Reaction score
Some USB cords are for charging only. As ridiculous as that sounds, it's true. I think that the data capable cables have the USB logo on them. My Blackberry cable works with the Razr.

Sent from my Xoom using DroidForums

Last edited:

SallyC

Reaction score
I would like to know the source for "some USB cords are for charging only." I have never read that anywhere, although there's a lot I haven't read. Curious about that though as I've looked for something to affirm that and haven't found it.

For some reason I have read of people experiencing what the OP describes. I have always assumed that some are of higher quality than others, but I don't really know. I have never experienced what the OP describes as all my cords have always worked - and they are from a variety of places.

It will be interesting to see what others more experienced & knowledgeable than me have to say.

eidian

Reaction score
I would like to know the source for "some USB cords are for charging only." I have never read that anywhere, although there's a lot I haven't read. Curious about that though as I've looked for something to affirm that and haven't found it.

For some reason I have read of people experiencing what the OP describes. I have always assumed that some are of higher quality than others, but I don't really know. I have never experienced what the OP describes as all my cords have always worked - and they are from a variety of places.

It will be interesting to see what others more experienced & knowledgeable than me have to say.

It could very well be that the OP has two bad cables. However, I wouldn't post something that I haven't had first hand experience with.

While I would never claim to be an expert, allow me to cite the following:

http://www.igo.com/usb-charging-cable-15-inch/invt/ps002710003/

http://3gstore.com/product/2226_retractable_charge-only_usb_cable_for_mifi.html

And here's what someone did with their charge-only USB cable:

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/How-To-Hack-A-USB-Charge-Cable-2177.php

2.3.6 ver 174 rooted with NO problems

Last edited:

SallyC

Reaction score
Thanks for the links, eidian. They pointed me in the direction where I figured out what's going on, I think...kinda:blink:. Apparently with some situations - like trying to charge and run a mifi hotspot by plugging it into your pc's usb - the mifi switches to a charge only mode and the wifi part fails to operate. It sounds like, from what I've been able to gather, this is considered a "feature not a bug" because many pc's usb ports don't have enough juice to charge the mifi and power its radios. So the manufacturer introduces the design constraint in which the device operates to charge only. In an effort to get around that, people were hacking the cables - using guides like this one - shorting a couple of internal wires so the mifi will both charge and operate. For those who are not DIY types, there are some clearly labeled "charge only" USB cables for these devices.

These are not "normal" USB cables but the do exist and allow certain devices to operate while plugged into a pc's usb port. The trade-off, however, is the cable will no longer sync data as two of the wires are shorted. So it's not that someone bought an inexpensive USB cable or it doesn't work because it came with another phone or many other things I've read in different forums. And it's also not that you have to use a Motorola USB for your Droid Razr to sync, as the OP was concerned about.

As long as the cable isn't labeled as one of these specialty cables it should work. Although I've read plenty of posts where people have cables that sync one phone, but not another. I'm still confused as to why that is. Perhaps someone like FoxKat can enlighten me. :)

OP
P

patmc81

Reaction score
I also thought that it could be the other cables but, I tried to sync my girlfriends Samsung charge and it worked but just not with my moto. By the way if I didn't see it with my own two eyes I probably wouldn't believe it ether lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

SallyC

Reaction score
I also thought that it could be the other cables but, I tried to sync my girlfriends Samsung charge and it worked but just not with my moto. By the way if I didn't see it with my own two eyes I probably wouldn't believe it ether lol.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

I've seen this posted about enough times that I have no doubt it's a real issue. I wish I knew why though. It sounds really frustrating.

Redbeaver

Reaction score
well to begin with, micro USB connectors are very very sensitive. clean them regularly with some alcohol-based cleaner, or google it up to see how some people clean it with some oil-based cleaner. i wouldn't do it though lol

second, there are various grades of USB cable. i learned this in school almost a decade ago. some are lower grade ones does not have all the pins/wires as higher grade ones. the rest are in the middle where the cables exist but are very thin to be usable by certain devices. some have 4 wires, some 5, and some uses the 5th and some doesn't. and there are many devices which uses different signal strength and pin combinations. some higher grade ones even enjoyed the nice rating of "2.0 cable" although usually its just thicker pairs of wires. some sacrifice length to gain power, and others vice versa. some manufacturers have their own cables even, some with 8 pins...

so its very natural to have some cables works differently for different devices.

unfortunately, however, there's no agreeable "certification", if u wish, for which cables are data-transfer-capable, which aren't. no signs or prints on the cable itself that can *guarantee* you it can do data transfer.

but for me, personally, the rule of thumb is to spend the extra $ for a nicer (intended for PC), thicker (USB 2.0 or 3.0 cert), shorter cable (no more than 3ft). and thinner USB cables that comes with 3rd party chargers are good only for that... charging.

u can read more here: Universal Serial Bus - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia