Power plug that came with the RAZR

HappyHour

Reaction score
I really don't like the plug that came with the RAZR. I get the premise behind being able to use it as an USB cord charger from your PC or attaching the plug to the cord and charging directly from the outlet. What I do not understand is why the plug is not polarized? Why is the left prong not larger than the right one. I find that it easily pops out of the outlet when plugged in. Especially when I am charging and using the phone simultaneously. It's really annoying. Why would they have made it like?

Arodnum1

Reaction score
I've noticed the same thing, all you can do is live with it

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

Reaction score
Do what I do, split the prongs outward a bit so it sticks to the outlet/extension cord.

Sent from my iPhone (soon to be RAZR) using Tapatalk

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
I really don't like the plug that came with the RAZR. I get the premise behind being able to use it as an USB cord charger from your PC or attaching the plug to the cord and charging directly from the outlet. What I do not understand is why the plug is not polarized? Why is the left prong not larger than the right one. I find that it easily pops out of the outlet when plugged in. Especially when I am charging and using the phone simultaneously. It's really annoying. Why would they have made it like?

It's not polarized because it doesn't need to be. It's an intelligent charger and simply uses the current from either leg that is hot. Polarizing plugs is typically done to keep the hot lead from getting associated with the ground internally in AC powered equipment, but it's unnecessary for the RAZR charger since the AC Side is completely isolated internally from any external connection. Also, since the case is plastic there's no risk of shock.

You may have at times felt a strange sensation, a vibration or other very faint shock when touching or rubbing your hand across the metal cabinet of a device such as a toaster or other appliance. If so, that appliance was either plugged into an outlet that was wired incorrectly or the plug was wired backwards, putting the hot lead where the neutral should have been. That brings a risk of shock if you touch the case and a ground such as a water pipe, and is the reason they created the polarized plug. The wide lead is the neutral and the narrow is the hot. The fact that a polarized plug has a wide prong on one side has nothing to do with how loose or tight it fits into the wall outlet.

Now for the plug pulling out of the wall, that's a problem with the wall outlet. The outlet leads are each a pair of prongs arranged in a way to pinch the plug prongs and clamp them tight. If the plug inserts and pulls put too easily the outlet should be replaced. If the contacts don't grip the prongs tight, resistance can build up in the outlet while running high current appliances such as space heaters or vacuum cleaners, and the outlet can overheat bringing a risk of fire in the wall, or throw sparks put of the outlet and light the carpet or curtains ablaze. I had a plug actually arc-weld its hot lead completely off in a faulty socket, scared the $#1+ out of me watching it light up and hear the buzzing.

I highly recommend spending a couple bucks and replacing the outlet. You'll never complain about the plug pulling out again, and may very well save your home from a fire. The new outlet will be fairly tight the first few times you plug something in, but it'll get easier.

Last edited:

Deron

Reaction score
Wow. I just learned more about wall outlets than I thought was even possible.

Nyteravyn

Reaction score
It's not polarized because it doesn't need to be. It's an intelligent charger and simply uses the current from either leg that is hot. Polarizing plugs is typically done to keep the hot lead from getting associated with the ground internally in AC powered equipment, but it's unnecessary for the RAZR charger since the AC Side is completely isolated internally from any external connection. Also, since the case is plastic there's no risk of shock.

You may have at times felt a strange sensation, a vibration or other very faint shock when touching or rubbing your hand across the metal cabinet of a device such as a toaster or other appliance. If so, that appliance was either plugged into an outlet that was wired incorrectly or the plug was wired backwards, putting the hot lead where the neutral should have been. That brings a risk of shock if you touch the case and a ground such as a water pipe, and is the reason they created the polarized plug. The wide lead is the neutral and the narrow is the hot. The fact that a polarized plug has a wide prong on one side has nothing to do with how loose or tight it fits into the wall outlet.

Now for the plug pulling out of the wall, that's a problem with the wall outlet. The outlet leads are each a pair of prongs arranged in a way to pinch the plug prongs and clamp them tight. If the plug inserts and pulls put too easily the outlet should be replaced. If the contacts don't grip the prongs tight, resistance can build up in the outlet while running high current appliances such as space heaters or vacuum cleaners, and the outlet can overheat bringing a risk of fire in the wall, or throw sparks put of the outlet and light the carpet or curtains ablaze. I had a plug actually arc-weld its hot lead completely off in a faulty socket, scared the $#1+ out of me watching it light up and hear the buzzing.

I highly recommend spending a couple bucks and replacing the outlet. You'll never complain about the plug pulling out again, and may very well save your home from a fire. The new outlet will be fairly tight the first few times you plug something in, but it'll get easier.

amazing information, thank you!

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

mzjin

Reaction score

The real problem is that it's a weak unit that doesn't put out nearly the amount of power necessary to charge the Razr. It takes about 5 hours or longer to charge mine to full from a low charge. I use my iPad 2 charger instead and less than an hour it's fully charged.

The flip side I stick 2 Apple USB cords in there and charge my iPods which don't really need the juice.

SnoDrtRider

Reaction score

Exactly 100% correct... and I might add... ANY TIME a cord or plug is loose in an outlet it is a file hazard! Change or have an electrician check and change all loose outlets. When you have a loose electrical connection it can not only arc but generate heat.

Xil

Reaction score
The real problem is that it's a weak unit that doesn't put out nearly the amount of power necessary to charge the Razr. It takes about 5 hours or longer to charge mine to full from a low charge. I use my iPad 2 charger instead and less than an hour it's fully charged.

The flip side I stick 2 Apple USB cords in there and charge my iPods which don't really need the juice.

It's easily known information that the Razr takes about 2 hours to fully charge if not being used. It has nothing to do with the plug into the wall, if i use my charger from my OG Droid it takes the same amount of time.

RoyR80

Reaction score
To anyone "changing chargers" look at the info stats of the charger. Look for "output". OG Droids are 850mA, newer phones are 1000, and most bluetooth devices are 650. The smaller the charger, slower the charge. :biggrin: