USB audio?

fast_eddie_72

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I just upgraded from a Droid Maxx to a Turbo 2 with Android 6.0. On my Maxx, I could use external USB DACs, but no luck so far with my Turbo 2. It doesn't act like any other phone I've tried. It just doesn't seem to recognize that anything has been plugged in. For instance, I have a USB DAC with a headphone amp. On some android devices, like the LG tablet I use, it works great. On others, as soon as I plug it into the phone with an OTG cable, the phone will shut off. But with the Turbo 2, it just does nothing. First time I've seen that. With unamplified DACs, it just ignores that they're plugged in and continues to play through the speaker.

Is there any setting available to enable USB audio? I would really hate to lose this feature.

Thanks

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I am not familiar with any Setting anywhere on the phone that would affect that. I had never heard of DAC until I read your post and looked it up online.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

OP
F

fast_eddie_72

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sorry, external USB Digital to Analog Converter. I was able to get pretty amazing sound from my Maxx playing lossless (FLAC) files with an external DAC. Whatever is in the Turbo 2 is better. The sound coming straight from the headphone jack is improved over the Maxx, but I would love to be able to use my DACs.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Looking as well. I know it was supported on earlier phones as you mention, buy no word either way on this one.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I wonder if it was an oversight on Motorola's part? Or a feature that they decided to no longer support? Hopefully FoxKat will find the answer.

OP
F

fast_eddie_72

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I found this, and seems to have some info that may help solve the issue.

Inside Marshmallow: USB connection options

So I just plugged my Turbo 2 into my computer and indeed I get a selection box. And it has the "Just once" or "Always" option as well. So maybe changing this will do it, but I'm at work and don't have my DAC here.

Default choice is "Charge only". So that's why it's not doing anything.

Other choices are Transfer Files (MTM) Transfer photos (PTP) MIDI and Software Installation.

I'm just not sure what to select, and if I do something and chose "Always" how do I change it? Very confusing.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
I'm seeing mention of USB audio working with the original generation Turbo on a Motorola developer site, but have yet to find anything mentioning it working with the Turbo 2.

The justification seems to be that USB audio support has been spotty with earlier versions of Android and with various phones, so it may have been a decision to no longer support it since it has been problematic.

OP
F

fast_eddie_72

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Yeah, I'm thinking it got messed up with Android 6.0. The hardware should do it, but this default to USB charge only is probably preventing it.

But I couldn't find anyone using USB audio on a Turbo 2 either. Which seems weird. I could find lots of information about my Maxx. I know people use that feature, and the Turbo 2 had been out long enough, you'd think someone would have posted something somewhere.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I'm just not sure what to select, and if I do something and chose "Always" how do I change it? Very confusing.

I'd you ever need to clear those Once / Always app choices go to Settings > Sound & Notification > App Notifications > Menu (3 dots) > Reset App Preferences.

It will clear all choices though, not any one specific app preference.

k1601

Reaction score
Just FYI, my turbo 1 wont play audio through USB on my head unit in my pickup. It says something along the lines of device not readable or something. Bluetooth also doesn't work (radio manufacturer says my Android build is too new/radio too old)

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

OP
F

fast_eddie_72

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Okay, it's a PITA, but I got it working. In Developer Options (Explanation on how to get into Developer mode above) there's a selection for USB configuration. With my headphone DAC/Amp plugged in with a host cable, "Audio source" was an available option. But it did take a few tries to make it work. But I am glad it is possible at least.

(edit) It does seem you have to do it each time. Still working out the correct sequence of events to get there. Yeah, a pain, but better than nothing. Sure was easier on my Maxx. However, the USB DAC with the headphone amp didn't work on Maxx. So ultimately, I can finally do what I really want to do, but it is a bit of a pain. #FirstWorldProblems

Last edited:

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Glad you found a somewhat workable solution.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Okay, it's a PITA, but I got it working. In Developer Options (Explanation on how to get into Developer mode above) there's a selection for USB configuration. With my headphone DAC/Amp plugged in with a host cable, "Audio source" was an available option. But it did take a few tries to make it work. But I am glad it is possible at least.

(edit) It does seem you have to do it each time. Still working out the correct sequence of events to get there. Yeah, a pain, but better than nothing. Sure was easier on my Maxx. However, the USB DAC with the headphone amp didn't work on Maxx. So ultimately, I can finally do what I really want to do, but it is a bit of a pain. #FirstWorldProblems

WOW! So glad it is (intermittently or unreliably but...), working! That's great news. Like anything that will work sometimes and not others, it can be a hardware issue, software issue, firmware, or just a sequence and/or timing issue. I know this to be true as I have nailed down the method to activate the Wireless Tether on the T2 but it's very much a timing and sequence issue.

Let's hope you can get the rate of success to a real workable number, then you can be the hero for all other USB DAC&AMP/FLAC enthusiasts (like me - I have over 3,800 CDs ripped to FLAC 50% with EAC). I don't own a USB DAC&AMP, but I may start looking for one on eBay now that I know this could work.

Thanks for your persistence and determination. I'll be watching as I suspect others will...

Good work...

OP
F

fast_eddie_72

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
What app are you using to play your files? I've been using one called Power Amp. It seems to work well and has some nice features.

I'm using a Fiio amp and I really like it! I recently got a pair of Soundmagic HP150 headphones and love them. They finally retired my trusty MDR V6s.