[Urgent] Remove 3g Hack

devortex

Developer
Developer
Reaction score
If you've applied the 3g hotspot hack, remove it immediately.

P3Droid posted this on twitter.

The removal zip can be found on mydroidworld @ TBH: Droid 3G Hotspot NVRAM Hack

Grab the unpatch zip file and run it in clockwork.

Sorry for multiple posts, but this could be very important so I'm trying to get the word out.

Sorry for multiple posts, but this may be important and I want to spread the word.

Apparently - "some people are getting abnormal download speeds, and it is being investigated"

- if you don't illegal tether then it shouldn't be a concern -

This is correct. Again, sorry for posting in multiple forums, I picked the busiest ones to try to inform people. I know a lot of users did install the original hack (darkslide included it as an add-on).

As far as I know, sbf won't remove it, neither will flashing a different rom, you must run the unpatch zip file to get rid of it. Just want to make sure people know so that if they installed it long ago and have forgotten about it, they still have a chance to remove it.

Last edited by a moderator:

DF Smod

Silver Member
Reaction score
Apparently - "some people are getting abnormal download speeds, and it is being investigated"

kdkinc

Reaction score

This is correct. Again, sorry for posting in multiple forums, I picked the busiest ones to try to inform people. I know a lot of users did install the original hack (darkslide included it as an add-on).

As far as I know, sbf won't remove it, neither will flashing a different rom, you must run the unpatch zip file to get rid of it. Just want to make sure people know so that if they installed it long ago and have forgotten about it, they still have a chance to remove it.

@TeamAndIRC
✔ Justin Case
@P3Droid You do understand that uncapped Tbolt thing was an april fools joke of mine? It was a rickroll bootscreen

However the warning is real as far as removing the HotSpot as stated by the OP

codustyle

Reaction score
Was this a hack you had to independently do or did it come with the thb gb leak? Is it only if u use the stock 3g hotspot app... not wifi tether or barnacle?

timelord

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with the gb leak. it only applied to those who applied the tethering patch. Seems verizon may be cracking down on those who tether without a data plan for it.

tlozano09

Reaction score
ok so this may seem like a dumb question but do we download the Patch or Unpatch file to remove the 3g hotspot?

codustyle

Reaction score
This has nothing to do with the gb leak. it only applied to those who applied the tethering patch. Seems verizon may be cracking down on those who tether without a data plan for it.

oh so it dont matter what you use to tether without paying.... someone got word that verizon is starting to look at subscribers with high data usage that dont have a legit tethering plan?

teh_g

Reaction score
People that tether and use a ton of data deserve it, same with people that apply to hack that removes throttling. It is all bad news and is not helping us to unlock any bootloaders.

DJxPanda

Reaction score
I had applied the patch prior to having to do a full factory reset back to stock. Would I have to worry?

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

nerdslogic

Silver Member
Reaction score
Verizon just announced that if you installed the GB leak they are going to lock you up for life and then Moto is going to have their way with you in your cell.....no vasiline unless you are on an unlimited plan. ;)

Come on....there have been rumors floating around for a long time about VZW doing this and Moto doing that.

It is confusing because on one hand you will read that they don't care about the low percentage of phone owners who are complaining about locked bootloaders....which is probably the cause of them wanting to lockdown the phone's even more....on the other hand you hear that they are targetting us.....so which is it? Do they care or no?

Either way....you know what I am going to do if VZW cuts me off? Flash my phone over to another network and keep on keeping on. Rooted and all.

But to keep the panic going......YES....EVERYONE has to worry to the point of stressing out. If you have even said the words "root" or "tether" then you are guilty and VZW knows who you are. You are going to wake up one day with the "can you hear me now" guy standing at the foot of your bed quoting the ToS to you and saying...."can you hear me now?"

ok.....none of the above is actually true....I am just messing with you guys.

sportytony

Reaction score
Laughing laughing laughing. I'm new to rooting and am loving it So far, but you freaked me out man

droidtom

Reaction score
Well this is weird. I never used the hack from tbh for mobile hotspot. I had used wireless tether with froyo. So I loaded the first unrooted gb, then used sbf to get stock then the rooted gb. I did run a file nothrottledxgb.zip thinking it would up the speed as the no throttle appeared to do with froyo. No apparent difference. I was going to load wireless tether but clicked mobile hotspot to see if it worked thinking that since it was free for a bit on the thunderbolt it might work. It did. It also worked on the unrooted gb though. So I've used it a few times in the past week. So do I need to do anything to unpatch anything or just don't tether. I first noticed it worked with the unrooted gb when I used it waiting for root so I would switch to wireless tether. So I know it did work.

droidxchat

Reaction score
Sorry but why would nvram hack affect download speeds? It just allows u to download for free, not faster... Unless I missed something.