Upgrading to Thunderbolt.........potential GPS issue

Pinja

Reaction score
OK I'm planning to upgrade to the Thunderbolt soon but I have a question about GPS.

I am upgrading to the Thunderbolt and I am just going to use my old Droid for a music storage device since I already have the car dock/charger/3.5mm wire for it and I don't want to fill the Thunderbolt with useless junk and have to order a new car dock for it.

My problem is that I'm in college and have a part time job as a pizza delivery driver. Aside from my music player I used my Droid for my GPS and it worked awesome. My question is that when I upgrade to the Thunderbolt will I still be able to use the GPS on my Droid? I'm assuming no but I just wanted to make sure.

prime

Kernel Developer
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Website
github.com
You can still use GPS, you must leave the CDMA radio enable to obtain GPS lock but no contract is needed to do this.

If you want extended life you may want to give my deprimed kernel a go, it does extremely long battery life.. especially in airplane mode (mp3 mode for your device soon)

Last edited:
OP
P

Pinja

Reaction score
You can still use GPS, you must leave the CDMA radio enable to obtain GPS lock but no contract is needed to do this.

If you want really nice battery life you may want to give my deprimed kernel a go.

How do I go about doing this? I'm not very tech savvy but any help is appreciated.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
My question is that when I upgrade to the Thunderbolt will I still be able to use the GPS on my Droid? I'm assuming no but I just wanted to make sure.
The GPS receiver doesn't care whether or not you have carrier service. Your GPS apps, on the other hand, may or may not require data. It really depends on the specific app.

IIRC this is because of sGPS (shared antenna with the CDMA radio).