Thunderbolt vs D3 for upgrade

bigpapa7272

Reaction score
I have an upgrade which I intend to use from my POS LG ally. My ally barely runs the operating system at times. If you were upgrading today would you choose a thunderbolt or a d3? where i live I am about 3 miles from the "4g extended coverage area" and about to 10 miles from the regular 4g coverage area.

Should I upgrade to a thunderbolt and have the 4g so when it gets to my neighborhood I am ready to roll or get a d3 which should be a vast improvement from the ally?

bendystrawboy

Reaction score
you sound like a smart feller, I'd at least wait for the bionic so you can compare it to the other phones.

it might be 299 though...sooooooo

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
I'd just wait for the Bionic to release, that's what I'm waiting for at least, I was eligible for upgrade 7/6/11.

Patience will pay off and I'll have no regrets as to what phone I will upgrade too, toss up between: Droid 3, Inc 2, Bionic

Beka27

Reaction score
If you have to get something today, I'd say the DX (not 2) or the D3. Maybe the Charge if you're really wanting 4G. I personally would avoid the TB and DX2...

OP
B

bigpapa7272

Reaction score
I have never had any real good luck with samsung phones. I think at this point I will get a D3 and then maybe in a year but a 4g off ebay or CL once they work out the battery issues with 4g.

I have never had an HTC phone so i cant really comment on them.

noordzy77

Reaction score
I love my TB and 4g is amazing..... the only thing the charge has is AMOLED.... everything else about the charge is sub-par. My wife has Droid 3, but all she does is play wordfeud lol... so I'm not sure where it stands as far as comparison to my TB.

Liderc

Silver Member
Reaction score
The Incredible 2 is a very good phone. If you're looking for something fairly priced with a great screen, I'd go with it, Costco has it for $69ish.

Although the proper thing to do is wait for the Bionic, "rumors" say August 4th.

deBBlr

Reaction score
I'd just wait for the Bionic to release, that's what I'm waiting for at least, I was eligible for upgrade 7/6/11.

Patience will pay off and I'll have no regrets as to what phone I will upgrade too, toss up between: Droid 3, Inc 2, Bionic

Im considering. d3 and now bionic. im newb to droid other than my nook. any inout or suggestions. why u prefer one over the other? can't find bionic specs.

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using DroidForums

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel

Im considering. d3 and now bionic. im newb to droid other than my nook. any inout or suggestions. why u prefer one over the other? can't find bionic specs.

Sent from my LogicPD Zoom2 using DroidForums

Well I can't really give my full input as I haven't had any "demo" time with any of these phones.

Based on my experience with my own Inc, I'd go with the Inc2 easily, but I want to give the D3 and Bionic a chance.

Here's how I break it down:

Inc 2: Everything my Inc is, but better.

Droid 3: I had the OG Droid, and am basing it pretty much off this. A good friend of mine has one, but I haven't really gotten my hands on it, but the keyboard seems nice and the UI itself is much better than MotoBlur (from what I've heard this is Moto's app drawer or whatever). It is bulky compared to what I have now of course, but it's not like these phones are getting smaller....

Bionic: I know it's going to be dual-core and LTE. Outside of that, the specs on paper mean almost nothing to me because I want to see how it actually performs. For example, I've seen the D3 and X2 run side-by-side and found the D3 to be much smoother, though I think they have the same specs (not 100% sure). I don't need 4g now either, but if it's the same price for 3g, it doesn't do me any harm. And who knows, 4g prices could go up when it becomes the "norm".

That being said I'm just waiting for the Bionic to drop so I don't have to make another special trip to my local store to check out one phone. I want all my selections to be there so I can make my decision with little to no regret.

DroidXDoes4G

Reaction score
Well if its TB vs Droid 3, definitely Droid 3. Especially if your not going to be using 4G alot.

I had a terrible experience with the TB.

However, my original Incredible was awesome, so i'd think the Incred2 would be good as well.

Or you could wait for the Bionic, which is pretty much a D3 with no keyboard, bigger screen, and 4G.

But the pentile screen on the Droid x2 looks worse than the D3, so I am worried it might look the same on the Bionic.