Time for a new Droid - Charge Vs. Thunderbolt?

ChrisTech

Reaction score
My Original Droid is to its breaking point. The phone locks up like crazy, the stock dialer app will freeze for no apparent reason. The touch screen seems to think it doesn't need to work all the time. I used a friend's old OG Droid for a bit as well, and I think its juts EoL for the OG Droid's. Same issues on both phones. I rooted both of them, they are on version 2.2.2. A few root apps on it, mainly to remove ads and open up some stuff. I never loaded a ROM on either of the phones.

Thinking its just time to upgrade. I am in an 4G LTE extended coverage area and about 500 feet from 4G LTE coverage area, so soon it should be full coverage. My workplace is covered in 4G LTE, so that's a plus. I want a 4G LTE device. I have Verizon for my provider & I want to stay with them.

I've been trying to compare the Droid Charge by Samsung vs. the Thunderbolt by HTC. I looked at the specs for the upcoming Droid 3, but no 4G on that device (boo).

Wanted to hear from others the pros or cons on each phone. If anyone owns them and knows if one if buggy or one has an advantage over the other. Any information is well welcome!

Thanks in advance!

Reaction score
In the same boat. Dont know whether to hold out for a little longer to see what new phones come out. There seems to be many and I am looking for 4G, something that can be hacked, and has a good amount of ram on it, and dual core. Any suggestions?

Suuperflie

Reaction score
If you want dual core and 4g then you don't want any Verizon phone that's out yet, because there isn't one that has both yet. Rumors are we should see at least 1 in either July or August. If you can't wait that long, then you'll have to decide what you want more, 4g lte or dual core. I believe the only dual core phone out right now is the X2, but no 4g. I your choice is just between the Tbolt and Charge, I'd probably go with the TBolt because the Charge doesn't have any more to offer than the TBolt except an extra $100 out of your pocket.
That's just my $.02

matt2783

Reaction score
I your choice is just between the Tbolt and Charge, I'd probably go with the TBolt because the Charge doesn't have any more to offer than the TBolt except an extra $100 out of your pocket.
That's just my $.02

HDMI mirroring and better battery life. Still though, I agree. If I were in that position I'd go with the TB, mainly because it has good dev support, it's cheaper and isn't ugly.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
My Original Droid is to its breaking point. The phone locks up like crazy, the stock dialer app will freeze for no apparent reason. The touch screen seems to think it doesn't need to work all the time. I used a friend's old OG Droid for a bit as well, and I think its juts EoL for the OG Droid's. Same issues on both phones. I rooted both of them, they are on version 2.2.2. A few root apps on it, mainly to remove ads and open up some stuff. I never loaded a ROM on either of the phones.
Given the last sentence quoted above, it's a bit early IMO to proclaim the patient dead. There are certainly performance improvements to be had from loading a custom ROM. My Droid isn't the fastest device out there but it's far from EOL running Bugless. Software issues can be fixed. They're not permanent problems as the OP seems to state.

OP
C

ChrisTech

Reaction score
Given the last sentence quoted above, it's a bit early IMO to proclaim the patient dead. There are certainly performance improvements to be had from loading a custom ROM. My Droid isn't the fastest device out there but it's far from EOL running Bugless. Software issues can be fixed. They're not permanent problems as the OP seems to state.

The 2nd one I received from a friend, I did a factor reset on it. Had issues within the first week. Same issues I saw with mine.

I guess I need to see about loading a custom rom. Only problem is I keep getting to "play" with other people's newer phones that are much more touch sensitive and much faster devices. (phone envy!)

Droidram56

Reaction score
My original Droid is a little slow at times, but otherwise still works great. I am eligible for an upgrade but have opted to wait until Verizon releases some more phones during 3rd quarter 2011 (e.g., Droid Bionic and Galaxy S II Function). The TB, Droid Charge, and Droid X2 all seem to have issues.

OP
C

ChrisTech

Reaction score
I think the big killer is the "rumors" of Verizon's new tiered data plans. Info via ABG.

Verizon Wireless will finally be shifting to the usage-based data plan structure we all knew was coming. Android enthusiast blog Droid Life on Monday reports that future Verizon subscribers will no longer have an unlimited smartphone data option starting July 7th. Instead, they will be forced to choose one of three tiered data options: 2GB for $30 per month, 5GB for $50 per month or 10GB for $80 per month. Those looking for tethering will have to add $20 to each of those plans, which works out to 4GB for $50 per month, 7GB for $70 per month or 12GB for $100 per month. Overages on any plan will run $10 per gigabyte. According to the report, Verizon will charge the same rates for 3G and 4G LTE data plans, so subscribers interested in newer 4G smartphones will not have to worry about paying a premium for data, as they might elsewhere — which is a good thing, considering these plans are already a bit pricey. Current Verizon customers will not be forced to switch to a new plan. BGR contacted Verizon for comment and while the company would not confirm the new plans or exact timing, a Verizon Wireless spokesperson did have this to say: “As we have stated previously, Verizon Wireless is making some minor changes to data plans including those for new smartphone customers. We will move to a more usage based model in July.”

Guess Sprint still has "unlimited" still...

inversesrevni

Reaction score
I told everyone it was happening, now everyone is gonna complain about not getting 4g when it was freely data unlimited

Delivered by Lighting, trembling with Thunder.

OP
C

ChrisTech

Reaction score
I got a Droid Charge. Mainly need it for work/personal email and web access. Games are always much more fun on a larger screen & faster processor.

I haven't rooted it yet, haven't had time. Maybe next week.

The area I'm in I see 5Mbit/2.5Mbit (down/up) for 4G which I'm happy with.