Upgraded and Kept my Unlimited Plan

Jamo319

Reaction score
If I upgraded and dropped my unlimited plan, is it too late to return the phone and get my old plan back? I activated it on 11/8. I'm asking b/c it sounds like I should've upgraded my dead line and switched phones instead. I ordered from Verizon.com if that makes a difference.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Jamo319 said:
If I upgraded and dropped my unlimited plan, is it too late to return the phone and get my old plan back? I activated it on 11/8. I'm asking b/c it sounds like I should've upgraded my dead line and switched phones instead. I ordered from Verizon.com if that makes a difference.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

That is hard to know. You will have to ask Verizon if there is any way to do that. Being within your 14 day return period, you may be able to return your phone, pay the restocking fee and have your plan reverted back to what it was. Not sure if that will work or not, but it is worth it to ask. Best of luck!

jaye712

Reaction score
Since there doin 2gb a month now,i resently got 4,iam guessin it might wrk the same as keepin ur unlimited?my contract aint over till nxt june or November,but u know with time.it flys

geoff5093

Reaction score
If he activated it on the tiered line first before moving it to his unlimited line, which it looks like he did, then his unlimited remains intact. It's the one way you can get a new phone at a subsidized price and keep your unlimited.
Ah, ok. I thought that if you used your upgrade from an unlimited line regardless of if the phone was activated, you would lose unlimited data.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
geoff5093 said:
Ah, ok. I thought that if you used your upgrade from an unlimited line regardless of if the phone was activated, you would lose unlimited data.

Actually, if your eligible upgrade is on your unlimited line, then best (although not 100% sure if it's necessary) to transfer that upgrade to the tiered/non-unlimited line. But you have to activate the new subsidized phone on the tiered line first. If you activate it on your unlimited line first, then you will be forced to choose a tiered plan. Once it is activated on the tiered line and that line's contract is updated, then you can switch it to your unlimited line.

mmaxx

Reaction score
Actually, if your eligible upgrade is on your unlimited line, then best (although not 100% sure if it's necessary) to transfer that upgrade to the tiered/non-unlimited line. But you have to activate the new subsidized phone on the tiered line first. If you activate it on your unlimited line first, then you will be forced to choose a tiered plan. Once it is activated on the tiered line and that line's contract is updated, then you can switch it to your unlimited line.

That is exactly what I did and so far so good.

PowrDroid

Reaction score
Can't figure out a way to keep unlimited data on my phone and get other two family member's (new) phones (currently with no data plan) on data plans and have it make financial sense.

I can keep unlimited data on my line by doing the switcheroo trick with one of their lines but they will want data on their new phones, which they would have to pay $30 a month per line for 2GB worth of data. With my phone at unlimited data and each of the other 2 phones on 2 GB a month, I figure the phone bill would be $220 a month. But on a shared plan with 4 GB of data for all three of us, I figure my phone bill will be $210 a month. I seriously doubt that my wife and son would go over 2 GB a month (each) and I've never gone over 2 GB a month in the past.

Unless someone has a workaround. I'd like to hear it.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
For ten dollars more you have unlimited data plus 4gb data for three phones... or save ten dollars a month but lose unlimited and 2gb less. Not sure if $10 savings is worth that loss.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
For ten dollars more you have unlimited data plus 4gb data for three phones... or save ten dollars a month but lose unlimited and 2gb less. Not sure if $10 savings is worth that loss.

I knew the master would show up, hi Tis

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Haha, close...four lines and have gone through all the scenarios with big red, including having my one son assuming his own plan.

lloydstrans

Banned
Reaction score
TisMyDroid said:
Haha, close...four lines and have gone through all the scenarios with big red, including having my one son assuming his own plan.

Smart move, I got my daughter to "man" up and get her own line.

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
lloydstrans said:
Smart move, I got my daughter to "man" up and get her own line.

Hahahaha, my son didn't “man" up when he realized it would cost him twice as much each month. He complained because he thought I was being unreasonable making him pay his portion. He said he was going to assume his own line. I said, let's go for it. Called Verizon on speaker phone as he sat there. He heard what his new monthly bill would be on his own and said, never mind. Lol!

clintro

Reaction score
Yes adding lines is always better, as long as you can get them to pay...LOL

It doesn't help them build up any bill paying history however.