Upgrade from Moto D2G

DroidGurl

Reaction score
I purchased the Motorola Droid 1 in 2009. Several waranty replacements later and one insurance replacement later in 2010 to the Motorola Droid 2 Global, it is still the phone I use today. In part I held out because I had unlimited data but our plan changed when the boyfriend got the iPhone 6 today.

I like the hard keyboard but understand it's not as available. Are there phones that are good to get that the electronic keyboard is easier to use?

Looking for recommendations on either a hard keyboard option with Verizon or an easy to use eletronic keyboard. I don't know anything about Samsung or LG or other brands. I heard rumors of a Motorola Droid 5 which I wouldn't mind but I have no idea if it's slated for release anytime soon.

I need the GPS functions of the phone and love the Motorola dock system I have for the D2g, plus I have a home dock to charge my phone and it is my clock/alarm. I use my Apple devices for music and video entertainment, so the phone is for calls, texting, email, corporate email, some web browsing, Bluetooth, etc.

Thanks for any help you can provide. My D2G is experiencing some issues with calls so I may need to upgrade soon.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I think the rumors of a Droid 5 were just that...rumors. It looks like this years Droid will be called Turbo and no physical keyboard. There are so many good phones right now its hard to recommend just one. If you like Moto and want to stick with them the Droid Maxx from last year is awesome and the built in keyboard has a swype feature that is easy to use. The Moto X is another awesome phone. Both have Settings and Menus that would be familiar to you...they have changed a lot since the Droid 2...but still familiar. Of course the HTC One M8 is a great phone, so is the LG G3, Samsung Galaxy S5....the list goes on and on. Maybe stop by a Verizon store and try them out to find one that you like...that's the most important thing is that you like it.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
I agree with everything sajokaz just said. All of the latest "flagship" devices are great, so going to your local carrier to try them out for yourself is your best bet. I love my Galaxy S5 but was equally impressed when I tested out the HTC One M8 and the LG G3 when purchasing my device a few months ago. There are some great phones coming out soon if you can't find one currently available that you really like.
As for the physical keyboard, manufacturers are moving away from that style of typing, mainly because devices have significantly increased in size, it's just not practical anymore. I would suggest giving Swype a try, it really is an amazing way to type once you get the hang of it. Keep in mind that the Samsung & Google keyboards also allow the swype method of input on their keyboard apps. (Not to mention SwiftKey, which is another great one)
Good luck in your search for a new phone and let us know what you end up going with.

tap'n on my S5

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I also wanted to say good job keeping a Droid 2 this long!! That's awesome to hear that a Droid (or any phone) has held up that long and kept running smooth. The Droid 2 is one of the few Droids I have not owned (Droid 1, 3, Bionic, RAZR M and now a Maxx).

OP
DroidGurl

DroidGurl

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies! I do use the Swype keyboard at times on the D2G. Bummed that hard keyboards may be a thing of the past, when I have to do emails I definitely smoke many of my friends with iPhones typing on their electronic keyboards.

So Samsung has Swype too? Plus the device is bigger so it would be easier to type I guess. What's the quality of the Samsung devices? In the past I have not been impressed with Samsung electronics, but that was a while ago.

I did go to a store today but they didn't have any active phones on display to try out. It's not the store I usually visit, so I will have to try that one.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I have never owned one personally so I can't speak from first hand knowledge....but a lot of experts claim that the cell radio for calls is not as good as a Motorola.

OP
DroidGurl

DroidGurl

Reaction score
I also wanted to say good job keeping a Droid 2 this long!! That's awesome to hear that a Droid (or any phone) has held up that long and kept running smooth.
emoji41.png
The Droid 2 is one of the few Droids I have not owned (Droid 1, 3, Bionic, RAZR M and now a Maxx).

It's been a sturdy phone. :) On the Droid 1 I had a lot of software issues and a keyboard issue. I did have to purchase a new battery about six months or so ago (for like $2 on Amazon). The problem I'm starting to have now is that people call me or I call them and the call won't connect. A battery pull fixes it for a while. I guess I could do a phone reset at some point to see if it helps as I evaluate my options. :)

wilyums

Reaction score
I finally broke away from MOTO and bought a Note 3. This is a great phone, I love the features. But... it just doesn't pick up calls or data like a Motorola. My wife's Bionic picks up better. It has great graphics, features, and feels great in your hand. I've always loved Moto so maybe I'm biased to them. My wife wants the Note 3 so I'm going with the new Moto Droid when it comes out. I need a phone that I don't worry about where I am, if I need to make a call.