Upgrade from .606 GB

Timetripper

Reaction score
Hi, I am running on .606 GB and see the newest release is .608, all is running well. In my reading here @ DF I have not been able to see what the changes in 608 from 606/607 so that I can make a decision on upgrade. What say yee guru's?

Sent from my DROID2 GLOBAL using DroidForums

Wizdomslizard

Reaction score
Just open the zip if you find something you like, move the apk over to your current version, test the waters a little before putting anything on there, I shall be doing this myself from the different versions and finding what suites me, anyone any suggestions on How to just install the social apps and widgets from GB. Kinda want to try HTC hub

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
606 was a leaked version never ota
607 was limited release and pulled after issues
608 current

read droid wiki for firmware changes

because 606 was a leak you can't just install 607 or 608
you will have to sbf back to 330 read wiki on how to sbf
then you can get ota 608 or install zip

OP
T

Timetripper

Reaction score
606 was a leaked version never ota
607 was limited release and pulled after issues
608 current

read droid wiki for firmware changes

because 606 was a leak you can't just install 607 or 608
you will have to sbf back to 330 read wiki on how to sbf
then you can get ota 608 or install zip

Thanks for the info, think I'll stay put for now.

Wizdomslizard

Reaction score
When you switched to the leaked version didn't you have to root, bootstrap, backup and load rom, can't you just load the backup or at least part of it so update will recognize it correctly?

OP
T

Timetripper

Reaction score
When you switched to the leaked version didn't you have to root, bootstrap, backup and load rom, can't you just load the backup or at least part of it so update will recognize it correctly?

I bought a used D2G and that's the way it came thanks to the previous owner, and I'm meaning that in a nice way.

themib

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid 4 (XT894)
606 is fine if you don't want to get too complicated

Sent from my DROID 2G w/4.5.608 using Droid Forum app

Jonas

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge the only thing that was changed from 606 to 608 is that sometimes the LCD was too light, and they fixed that in 608. And this really isn't even noticeable, since it wasn't a major bug, it was only on some phones. Thats really it. If you are on 606, thats a stable version, and you are fine, and not missing anything. I wouldn't bother fooling with it when it already works. I am actually almost positive 606 and 607 are the exact same thing, 606 is the bootleg version of 607, and then 608 was the LCD fix. When you see that it's 4.5.608, you have to realize, it's such a small change that only the last digit of the 3rd set of numbers was changed, it's not going to be a huge monstrous update.

silver6054

Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge the only thing that was changed from 606 to 608 is that sometimes the LCD was too light, and they fixed that in 608. And this really isn't even noticeable, since it wasn't a major bug, it was only on some phones. Thats really it. If you are on 606, thats a stable version, and you are fine, and not missing anything. I wouldn't bother fooling with it when it already works. I am actually almost positive 606 and 607 are the exact same thing, 606 is the bootleg version of 607, and then 608 was the LCD fix. When you see that it's 4.5.608, you have to realize, it's such a small change that only the last digit of the 3rd set of numbers was changed, it's not going to be a huge monstrous update.

Well, you are forgetting the reason for the pull of .607! Encryption for Exchange sync was fixed in .608, which is a) huge if you use it, and b) a non-event if you don't.

OP
T

Timetripper

Reaction score

Thanks Jonas :)