Updating to 902...

jcwilliams

Reaction score
I'm rooted and running stock OS. I just got the 902 update. What do I need to do to keep root? What else should I do so it goes through?
Thanks

jhom

Reaction score
I'm rooted and running stock OS. I just got the 902 update. What do I need to do to keep root? What else should I do so it goes through?
Thanks

Make sure you have forever root before installing or you may lose root.

OP
jcwilliams

jcwilliams

Reaction score
Ok. And where can I find out how to so that?

Tonik

Reaction score
Use something like RootExplorer.....

go to /system/bin/

Find the file mount_ext3.sh in that folder and long press it and select view to see the file. It is just a basic text file.

Make sure the following lines are at the end, and double check the 4755 to make sure they are like that.

chmod 4755 /system/bin/su
chmod 4755 /system/xbin/su
chmod 4755 /system/app/Superuser.apk

OP
jcwilliams

jcwilliams

Reaction score
Use something like RootExplorer.....

go to /system/bin/

Find the file mount_ext3.sh in that folder and long press it and select view to see the file. It is just a basic text file.

Make sure the following lines are at the end, and double check the 4755 to make sure they are like that.

Ok I've done this but it caused my phone to get stuck at the boot animation and then I never tried it again.

I type it in exactly like that? Like the space at the beginning of the first line and everything? Can you send me your text so I can see how its suppose to be in there?
Thanks

Tonik

Reaction score
Ok I've done this but it caused my phone to get stuck at the boot animation and then I never tried it again.

You are still on 893 right? You have not applied the 902 yet I hope. If you did stop here, we need to go in a different direction.

If still on 893 let's not manually type that in. Typing them in sometimes changes permissions on that file and causes your boot problem, just look at the file and see if those lines are there. If they are there. If they are check root with RootChecker or something like that. If it all checks out you have forever root and can update.

If they are not there lets just do this with a script so it goes easy for you.

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1279825

Use the R3l3AS3DRoot_Windows_V2.1.zip file and it will bring up a little menu. One of the choices is forever root. JUST do the forever root part. Then again look at the file above and make sure those lines are there. Then update.

Mbk

Android For Life
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
As mentioned use option 2 in R3L3AS3DRoot (found here) .....
then after just doublecheck that the text

is at the bottom of the file mount_ext3.sh in the system/bin folder as also mentiond above...

from there accepting the .902 OTA update will net you the update still forever rooted...

OP
jcwilliams

jcwilliams

Reaction score
You are still on 893 right? You have not applied the 902 yet I hope. If you did stop here, we need to go in a different direction.

If still on 893 let's not manually type that in. Typing them in sometimes changes permissions on that file and causes your boot problem, just look at the file and see if those lines are there. If they are there. If they are check root with RootChecker or something like that. If it all checks out you have forever root and can update.

If they are not there lets just do this with a script so it goes easy for you.

forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1279825

Use the R3l3AS3DRoot_Windows_V2.1.zip file and it will bring up a little menu. One of the choices is forever root. JUST do the forever root part. Then again look at the file above and make sure those lines are there. Then update.

Ok thanks. I well do this after work. and yes i'm still on 893 right now.

sargentmajord

Silver Member
Reaction score
OP
jcwilliams

jcwilliams

Reaction score
ok neither one of these links are working for the tool thing to forever root...anyone have the zip they can upload for me?

OP
jcwilliams

jcwilliams

Reaction score
ok so which exe do i choose in this zip to forever root?

OP
jcwilliams

jcwilliams

Reaction score
it says adb not recognized but then it says congratualtions..i checked the text file and nothing was added at the end.