Updating software after rooting and installing custom roms

jrock204657

Reaction score
I have an LG Ally and recently rooted and installed Velocity as my ROM. After installing I saw that a system update was available and was wondering if I am able to do a system update while my phone is rooted and has a custom rom installed. I am currently running 2.1 update 1 because the ally is so ****ty and it isnt able to support 2.2. Please advise on whether to update or not. Thanks

OP
J

jrock204657

Reaction score
I decided to just try the update and it got stuck with an exclimation point on the screen and I took the battery out and rebooted and it was fine but obviously doesnt have the new software. Do I need to unroot to install updates or what? Thanks

UrbanBounca

Rescue Squad
Staff member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Are you referring to a Velocity update or a carrier update? You can't update the carrier software if you're (a) rooted or (b) have a custom ROM. If you've installed a ROM, you need to keep up with updates through the ROM's author.

OP
J

jrock204657

Reaction score
Yea I was talking about the carrier software. I guess ill go to tridents site and follow the updates. Thanks for your help

huskerkate

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
if you're rooted, and running a custom rom, you're probably already running the software included in the carrier update, and more. by accepting the update, and having it not install, you've just avoided getting the constant reminders. i'm not sure about the Ally, but if you force the carrier update onto your phone, you may lose root - be careful.