[UPDATED] Next Android OS for Smartphones Will be 2.4 'Ice Cream Sandwich'

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
To still only be 2.4 would be disappointing. I'm really looking for some Chrome OS support/integration to basically give the same capability as the Atrix for any dual-core phone with HDMI out.

Add to that, what's interesting is the ruu for the Thunderbolt is supposedly 500megs. What in the world could be in there to create such a massive growth in the OS?

ArrTooDeeToo

Reaction score
Anyone know what the 1st 2 Android OS's were called?

1.0 was Apple Pie and 1.1 was Banana Bread. They were not Linux based.

I have to say that calling it 2.4 would be a dumb move. Everyone is complaining about fragmentation, and having a 3.0 Honeycomb and a 2.4 Ice Cream screams of fragmentation.

Gingerbread hasn't even had a chance to get out to most phones yet. We don't even have full GB ROMS for the OG Droid! I would love to see Ice Cream released after Honeycomb as 3.1 (a continuation of Honeycomb) that works on Tablets AND phones. IMHO, Gingerbread should be the last "icon-grid" version of Android. After seeing Honeycomb, it's such a step forward for Android (and a huge step away from the iOS style icon grid) that I would love to see it stay on that path of becoming its own unique OS.

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
How can developers focus on fine tuning their applications if they have to prepare them for so many different versions of the android OS. I'm sure manufacturers are loving this because it forces users to periodically buy a new phones just to keep up with the technology.

Where has this happened? Im still on my D1 and im getting everything so far. The beauty with the operating system is that it can be updated. How do updates force you to buy new hardware?

That's cuz we have unlocked bootloaders as D1 users, so we can get ROMs for every OS version until our phones hardware can't handle them anymore. For people with locked bootloaders they have to depend on VZW/manufacturer to get their OS upgraded. When VZW stops supporting your locked phone, your phone cant upgrade...D1 FTW! dancedroid

ArrTooDeeToo

Reaction score
lol. Perhaps.

I think v3.2 should be Jelly Roll and 3.3 should be...Klondike Bar! :laugh: