[UPDATED] Next Android OS for Smartphones Will be 2.4 'Ice Cream Sandwich'

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
How can developers focus on fine tuning their applications if they have to prepare them for so many different versions of the android OS. I'm sure manufacturers are loving this because it forces users to periodically buy a new phones just to keep up with the technology.

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score
I know it's trivial with the numbers... but isn't honeycomb 3.0? wasn't GB supposed to be 3.0 and it's 2.3?

How would Ice cream be 2.4? lol

just making conversation.

Its not. This rumor started with a mistake on the Sony X10... From my post above I can gie offical wod that Honeycomb is going to be on all devises. It was confirmed at CES to be 3.0. If you stick to official sources, then this is a low end rumor...

what I was thinking. CES stated Honeycomb as 3.0.

Maybe tablets will have different version numbers from smartphones. :icon_eek:

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
How can developers focus on fine tuning their applications if they have to prepare them for so many different versions of the android OS. I'm sure manufacturers are loving this because it forces users to periodically buy a new phones just to keep up with the technology.

Where has this happened? Im still on my D1 and im getting everything so far. The beauty with the operating system is that it can be updated. How do updates force you to buy new hardware?

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Its not. This rumor started with a mistake on the Sony X10... From my post above I can gie offical wod that Honeycomb is going to be on all devises. It was confirmed at CES to be 3.0. If you stick to official sources, then this is a low end rumor...

what I was thinking. CES stated Honeycomb as 3.0.

Maybe tablets will have different version numbers from smartphones. :icon_eek:
Very possible... I wont believe it til i see it though. Im sticking with my confirmed info till i get more confirmed info. :) To me it would be confusing to have different version numbers. I think the google engineers would keep it the same...

joeybarclay

Reaction score
its got alphabetical order

cupcake
donut
Éclair
froyo
gingerbread
honeycomb
ice cream

wolfpack219

Reaction score
OK so it's cool that google is releasing all these new OS updates, but I haven't even received androids 2.3 update? how can you start talking about ice cream when my DX doesn't even have Gingerbread!

everstar80

Reaction score
I'm sorry, but its hard to get excited about a new os when we still haven't received gingerbread, so when that happens, I know I'll want to know more. Has there been any word on when our devices will get 2.3?