[UPDATED] Next Android OS for Smartphones Will be 2.4 'Ice Cream Sandwich'

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Android-In-Ice-Cream-Cone.jpg
ice_cream_sandwich.jpg

For now, this story officially stays as an unofficial 'rumor', but supposedly, the next Android OS for our smartphones will actually be Android 2.4 afterall, and actually will be called... Ice Cream. Really... after Eclair, Froyo, Gingerbread and Honeycomb... now we get some "Ice Cream"? Seems like Google is trying to fatten us up or something.

Seriously though, It actually fits the logic. Most of the intelligence coming out of CES indicated that Android 3.0 Honeycomb would be Tablet-specific only for now. They are keeping with the dessert theme, and the rumor also says that "Ice Cream" will probably come out in June or July, which fits the timeline that Google said they were trying to 'slow down' toward. Interesting. Now I'm hungry...

[Update] It seems the rumors were partially true for next iteration of Android 2.4... Apparently, Andy Rubin himself mentioned in passing to a 'Techcrunch' journalist that the next Android will not be called 'Ice Cream'; it will be called Ice Cream Sandwich. This is to differentiate from Froyo which is a soft serve ice cream dessert. Now that that's cleared up I'm sure that solving world-peace isn't too far behind... :tongue:

Source: BGR

Last edited:

Jim 777

Silver Member
Reaction score
Like I didn't have enough sweets over the holidays

joshoid

Reaction score
Probably a goofy question. Can current phones run Ice Cream?

Thanks,

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I have not gotten a chance to get any gingerbread yet :icon_evil: ....

j/k i personally prefer chocolate or vanilla over key lime.

texstar420

Reaction score
I love sweets. Android makes me hungry! Can't wait for these goodies.

xmguy

Reaction score
I hope the Droid X will get this or if it will only be compatible on 2 core phones.

joshdub223

Reaction score
in the engadget interview with matias duarte he says that honeycomb will come to phones...

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
in the engadget interview with matias duarte he says that honeycomb will come to phones...

Engaget's show did indeed show Matias Duarte. He said that Honeycomb wuld be on all devices and it would not just be tablet specific. Honeycomb is the next tier in the OS. Exclusive interview: Google's Matias Duarte talks Honeycomb, tablets, and the future of Android -- Engadget

I will believe Matias over this rumor. Maybe the it will be called Ice Cream though... I do have to say that its not very original though. They need a more exotic type of desert than Ice Cream. (kinda bland if you ask me)

RafficaX

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score

your gonna be waiting a long time for some vanilla :icon_eek:

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I know it's trivial with the numbers... but isn't honeycomb 3.0? wasn't GB supposed to be 3.0 and it's 2.3?

How would Ice cream be 2.4? lol

just making conversation.

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
I know it's trivial with the numbers... but isn't honeycomb 3.0? wasn't GB supposed to be 3.0 and it's 2.3?

Its not. This rumor started with a mistake on the Sony X10... From my post above I can gie offical wod that Honeycomb is going to be on all devises. It was confirmed at CES to be 3.0. If you stick to official sources, then this is a low end rumor...

Larry_ThaGr81

Reaction score

Right! This is ridiculous how quickly they are preparing these new OS versions. Right now the android community is too divided. I don't think manufacturers can keep up with google. It's easy for google to prepare a new version of the android platform, but then manufacturers have to convert it to work with their many products.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

Its not. This rumor started with a mistake on the Sony X10... From my post above I can gie offical wod that Honeycomb is going to be on all devises. It was confirmed at CES to be 3.0. If you stick to official sources, then this is a low end rumor...

what I was thinking. CES stated Honeycomb as 3.0.