[HACKS] UPDATED Droid RAZR Utility [WINDOWS]

Reaction score
For AP Fastboot mode you hold both volume buttons while powering on your phone. To get down to AP fastboot, you hit the volume down button. The Volume up button selects it.

Reaction score
I did the flash to stock. All I did was boot into AP Fastboot, connect my Razr to my PC with a data cable, and run the utility and selecting option 1. MAKE SURE YOU READ HIS DIRECTIONS ABOUT WHAT YOUR SCREEN SHOULD SAY! OP did a fantastic job and I will be sending donation.

Last edited:

thaDroidz

Silver Member
Reaction score
SnoDrtRider said:
I had to sleep on this...

By the utility being on your computer it will always be on the C:\ drive if your hard drive is is named C as most computers are unless you have multiple hard drives.

Even if you place the utility in a separate desktop folder the address of that file would be C:\Users\(user name)\Desktop\(Folder Name)\(Utility Name) so actually you cannot place the utility in a folder that does not contain C:\ as part of it's address on your machine unless it is on another drive like and external HD, USB Storage, SD Card, Etc.

When they say not to put on c: it was meant to say don't extract the files directly to C's root drive. But yes simple make a folder to extract them to...

PS
Alot of harddrives are partioned out these days making them multi driven..

----posted MAXXED OUT WITH dessert----

BiGG WiLL

Reaction score
For AP Fastboot mode you hold both volume buttons while powering on your phone. To get down to AP fastboot, you hit the volume down button. The Volume up button selects it.

I know how to get to AP mode... What do I do once I'm in it?? Just run the command on the computer?? And it also says to wipe the cache. How do I do that???

b419kid

Reaction score
Eclipse

Hey everyone,
I am thinking about flashing the Eclipse ROM or an ICS leak. Just have a few questions about it: will either work from .181 (the latest OTA)? Will fastboot restores work from either of them? Should I use safestrap or bootstrap to install it?

Thanks in advance,
--|3/<

Last edited:

b419kid

Reaction score
Anyone know?

Hey everyone,
I am thinking about flashing the Eclipse ROM or an ICS leak. Just have a few questions about it: will either work from .181 (the latest OTA)? Will fastboot restores work from either of them? Should I use safestrap or bootstrap to install it?

Thanks in advance,
--|3/<

Furthermore, can I flash back to stock afterwards if I don't like eclipse?

--Thanks again.

douglee25

Reaction score
This may help others who have this same issue. I have read a few cases. Nevertheless, originally I rooted using the "It's bugs all the way the down" by Dan Rosenberg. See here - Security Research by Dan Rosenberg

Nevertheless, when I upgraded to .181, I lost root and found Matt's tool. I tried to reroot and it said it worked. Upon rebooting, root never happened. I even tried unrooting and that didn't work either (even though it said it did).

I then went back to Dan's tool and rooted again and it worked fine.

Can someone who has some more experience look into why? Is it a version conflict? Does a piece of Dan's tool need to be intergrated into Matt's tool?

Maybe this will help others out.

Thanks again.

Doug

Phreaker47

Reaction score
I learned the hard way not to UNINSTALL system apps without backing them up... so I couldn't install 181 without doing the 173 restore.

In regards to your case, what I CAN say is the utilities' root method works flawlessly on 173. I did the factory restore (option 1), then root, then installed Voodoo rootkeeper, backed up and hid root with it, then did the OTA update to 181, then restore root in Voodoo. Worked like a charm. I've been spending the last few hours reinstalling everything. Unfortunately I had backed up apps with Titanium, but they weren't saved to the EXTERNAL SD, and the 173 restore wiped it all :/

Oh well. It's all good now. New update, rerooted, and I will only freeze system apps from now on and not delete anything.

OP
mattlgroff

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
This may help others who have this same issue. I have read a few cases. Nevertheless, originally I rooted using the "It's bugs all the way the down" by Dan Rosenberg. See here - Security Research by Dan Rosenberg

Nevertheless, when I upgraded to .181, I lost root and found Matt's tool. I tried to reroot and it said it worked. Upon rebooting, root never happened. I even tried unrooting and that didn't work either (even though it said it did).

I then went back to Dan's tool and rooted again and it worked fine.

Can someone who has some more experience look into why? Is it a version conflict? Does a piece of Dan's tool need to be intergrated into Matt's tool?

Maybe this will help others out.

Thanks again.

Doug
Hey Doug,

This was because you had the Superuser.apk left over in your system's /apps/ folder. This can ONLY be removed if you are already rooted (you aren't) or if you restore with fastbooting back.

-Matt

douglee25

Reaction score
Hey Doug,

This was because you had the Superuser.apk left over in your system's /apps/ folder. This can ONLY be removed if you are already rooted (you aren't) or if you restore with fastbooting back.

-Matt

Ok, I think I understand what you're saying, but why wouldn't your tool root the phone initially then? Also because the superuser.apk was left over? Why would Dan's tool work?

Doug

OP
mattlgroff

mattlgroff

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Ok, I think I understand what you're saying, but why wouldn't your tool root the phone initially then? Also because the superuser.apk was left over? Why would Dan's tool work?

Doug
If your superuser.apk was not left over my utility tool would have worked. Dan's rooting tool has more checks and balances but since nobody usually has superuser.apk in the system's /apps/ folder you can easily become rooted.

Next time use OTA Rootkeeper when updating...that's what its there for.

K1K

Reaction score
Matt, so if I'm on stock (no root).181 update I can root without having to go back to the .173 version that comes with your utility??? Sorry I'm fresh off the Tbolt and I'm a bit confused.