[TOOLS] Droid RAZR Utility 1.8

TisMyDroid

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Note 3
Yes echoexs, if I understand correctly, you can return to official OTA stock ICS by using option 1 of the utility. When you have enough charge (at least 50%), follow these steps...

Going back to stock .211:
*On your pc, download and install Matt's Razr Utility 1.8 or 1.81 or 1.82. You can find 1.82 here:
Droid Razr Utility 1.82 [Windows] For Verizon Droid Razr And Droid Razr Maxx Only - DroidRzr.com
*Extract that utility to its own folder on your computer...you must extract the file on your pc. It will not work from your phone.
*After the utility is extracted, go to the Motorola drivers folder in the utility and make sure you have the latest Motorola drivers installed on your pc.
*make sure your phone is set to usb debugging mode (menu>system setting>developer options).
*Power your phone off. Then power your phone on while holding down your power, the volume up and volume down buttons simultaneously.
*Connect your phone to your computer with the factory supplied usb cable.
*On your phone select AP Fastboot, then in the utility select option 1..."restore phone to stock .211. Do not unplug the usb cable until the utility finishes.
*When completed your phone should reboot to stock .211.
*After running option 1, restart phone to make sure all is fine.

Sent from my XT907 using Droid Forums

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Ok..
I am rooted. Are there any good Roms available?
Yes, go here in this forum: Android Roms. You can also find a list of ROMs designed for the Razr on Droidrzr.com. Recommendation: Not trying to insult you, but if you are not familiar with flashing ROMs then I'd do a little research regarding the tools needed, recovery, backups and the tools used to accomplish this. The RazrUtility 1.82 is a great tool for restoring to stock, rooting and installing SafeStrap (the primary tool for flashing ROMs) but their are other tools you may want to have handy on your phone. Just take a little time and do some research. Most users don't get into trouble just rooting...it is flashing ROMs that most often is the start of a bricked phone for those who don't do a little research first.

NetNathan

Reaction score
Yes, go here in this forum: Android Roms. You can also find a list of ROMs designed for the Razr on Droidrzr.com. Recommendation: Not trying to insult you, but if you are not familiar with flashing ROMs then I'd do a little research regarding the tools needed, recovery, backups and the tools used to accomplish this. The RazrUtility 1.82 is a great tool for restoring to stock, rooting and installing SafeStrap (the primary tool for flashing ROMs) but their are other tools you may want to have handy on your phone. Just take a little time and do some research. Most users don't get into trouble just rooting...it is flashing ROMs that most often is the start of a bricked phone for those who don't do a little research first.

No insult taken...
Had several ROMs on my original Droid A855 and understand the problems.
It is a shame that ClockworkMod is not compatible with the RAZR yet. I enjoyed the ease of working with it on ROMs and Themes.
I also enjoyed Bugless Beast.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
No insult taken...
Had several ROMs on my original Droid A855 and understand the problems.
It is a shame that ClockworkMod is not compatible with the RAZR yet. I enjoyed the ease of working with it on ROMs and Themes.
I also enjoyed Bugless Beast.
All is not lost my friend. SafeStrap incorporates CWM. SafeStrap does a couple things, primarily it pauses the boot process at startup and gives you the option to boot regularly or go to SafeStrap and chose which ROM to boot...stock or custom ROM and in so doing you are using CWM. Now, I may not have that exactly right because I gave up flashing ROMs six or eight months ago and haven't used anything except Bootstrap, but I think I got it pretty close.

Lunatic

Reaction score
Anyone had any problems with their voicemail not working after root?

Krenzy

Reaction score
Ok, this is ridiculous. I've been trying to get root to work, many different attempts, but after tonight, I'm ready to throw in the towel. I am going to document in annoying detail every detail what I'm doing in hopes that someone will catch something and be able to help me out. Please bare with me:

Stock Razr Maxx running .215, USB debugging checked, Allow Mock Locations checked (and unchecked for other trials), when plugged in it is on MTP or Media Share. Stock USB cord, too.

I have a....hp crappy laptop...running XP Professional, Version 2002, Service Pack 3. I downloaded Utility 1.82, tried to install the drivers for 32bit. I get get the option to either repair or remove Motorola Mobile Drivers Installation 5.9.0, and I choose Repair, then Finish. Once the bar indicates what would normally be a completed task, I get a prompt telling me:

A network error occurred while attempting to read the file: C:\Documents and Settings\Administrator\Desktop\Razr Maxx Root\DroidRazrUtility\Drivers[REQUIRED]\Motorola_Mobile_Drivers_32bit.msi

I click OK and another box pops up telling me the following:

The installer was interrupted before Motorola Mobile Drivers Installation 5.9.0 could be installed. You need to restart the installer to try again.

Ok, so I exit, restart the computer to be on the safe side, and go through the same thing. Same steps, same dead end. So I opted to download the most recent drivers from Motorola, as someone had once instructed me. I go to Motorola's website, download the drivers, and it works just fine. Alright, drivers installed...right?

Next step: ADB. I open it, and a dos style box flashes up for all of 1.5 seconds then disappears. Assuming that went as it was supposed to because I got no indication it didn't, I proceed to step 3: DroidRazrUtility. Double click, First box pops up saying "Server not running", atop of "daemon not running", with "daemon started succesfully" below that. Batman box appears, hit any key, then I get this:

The system cannot find the path specified.
To powerful to fall into the wrong hands.
yada yada enter to exit

So, if i had to guess I'd say the Drivers is the start of the issue, but how do I get the drivers?? The ones supplied in the ZIP don't install, and I had tried previous versions of Matt's utility with the same thing: Drivers don't install. I'm not one to blame a program that's helped thousands, so I'm wondering if it's my laptop? Any help would be greatly appreciated, because this is just making me irritable. Thank you.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Did you unzip the utility before using it? Also if you have, are you running the utility in the same folder as all the files? All the driver complaints are strange. I would completely uninstall them and then they that again.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

Krenzy

Reaction score
Yes, I unzipped the downloaded utility. I downloaded the utility onto my desktop, and created a separate folder to extract it to; so, no, the downloaded zip program is not in the same folder.

How do I go about uninstalling the drivers?

I really hope this doesn't come across as snide or rude, I truly do appreciate all the help.

Last edited:

snowman

Reaction score
I just got the Razr Maxx HD any ideas if this is rootable yet?
also I'm on 4.1.1 Jelly Bean at least I'm pretty sure thats what it is
I got and OTA update Wednesday 2-6-13
also looking I'm wondering if I should wait for 4.2 update it sure looks sweet
I'm a little confuse because a lot of folks refer to a Razr Maxx and not sure if this applies to Razr maxx HD also?
Thanks so much Matt and all the Gang for the help and ideas

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
He made a utility for the HD. JB is not root able, you'll need to go back to ICS (which the utility does.) Let me find the link.

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
Here it is http://www.droidforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=2347364

-download the utility
-extract it to your desktop
-run the utility, put your HD in fastboot mode. Option 1 restore.
-once you're on ICS go to settings - about phone - system updates and take the small 6mb update.
-plug the phone in, run the utility and choose the root option.
-once rooted, install voodoo ota root keeper , protect root, temp unroot, update to JB and restore root.